• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fairing Extenders

You talking about the black extensions that the European models have? I have them mounted again. ( I remove them when the temps are above 110 ;) ) But when the temps drop below 95 I put them back on. It gives me a better air pocket. AND I think they look nicer.. :p You can seee them in my Web Shots pages. Yuma, Summer in Yuma is not hell, but hell is a local call :) 2006 Connie http://community.webshots.com/user/Lateck?vhost=community

Yep, I just swapped mine back on this weekend. I think they work good as winter flaps. Reduce some of cold air on the lower legs. Worth it IMO. I swap to the scoops in the summer at a much lower temp than Yuma does. Even in moderate weather the fairing extenders are not bad. But last year I found on some 100* days they are HOT HOT on the lower legs and feet. I definitely run cooler with the scoops directing air over them. On a different note, some people turn the scoops around so they block air for the winter, and scoop air for the summer. This works some too,but not near as well as the fairing extenders. 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

There great, only for winter use IMO. Came back from the mountains in low 40's this weekend and was perfectly comfortable. Above 70's and there off, easy on and off, 5 minutes each side. Virginia Beach, VA COG 6517 03 Concours (9/11/04) 01 Concours (8/16/08) USN Retired

I have them and leave them on year round. I think they are great. I highly recommend them.
+1 -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

I run them in the winter even down here in Tx. It adds a lot of comfort in the cold. I am so tall there was no way to get my knees out of the wind without them. It adds that 1.5 inches of width to the faring in just the right places. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I just got mine and they do seem to shift air away above the boot. While I really like the way they look although I will be taking mine off in the summer. Respectfully Yours! Wess Heavner COG #8010 CDA #0239
2488051070102653285S200x200Q85.jpg

Thanks for the reminder, time to get mine back on- it was in the upper 20's here this morning! I am still amazed what a difference that extra inch on either side makes in reducing air flow to the rider. Love 'em, but have to take them off in the summer- tried leaving them on one year and just couldn't make it past July- they do too good a job!!! ;p Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'

I have two sets of self-fabricated wind wings that stay on the bike year round. They can be pivoted to bring air in during hot weather, and deflect air out, similar to the kawasaki fairing extenders. In this latter mode, they work really well allowing the heat from down by the feet to slowly flow around the legs. The nice thing is they are adjustable while riding, on the fly for those days that start out in the low 30's to 40's and end up and 70 and above. See: Wind Wings Link

I leave mine on year round, even in the Alabama heat. If I had to cook in stop and go in traffic or if I didn't wear riding pants that insulate me from the heat I would probably remove them in the summer. A nice plus that I noticed when I initially installed them was the improved stability at speed. If I had to quantify it I would say it is 10% better compared to running with the scoops removed completely. You could say that I like them. Gene

Just got mine from ronayers.com today (took 10days to get) $64.76 + $9.00(for shipping) part number K99996-1103 :) rk

Robert, you're never gonna go back to the scoops! Unless you move somewhere warmer... Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA

All ya have to do is ride somewhere warmer. After the 2007 NWCOG regional rally I change mine back and forth every spring / fall. 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

Lol Mike U are right I may never take them off. I just got in from Seattle this morning. They sure cut through the rain. One thing I did notice it makes the fairing much more rigged rk

Being a fan of Cheap and Simple, I've always favored Foamies when the weather gets cold, rainy or both. They are simple to make. Just cut yourself a piece of foam rubber to about the size of a regular brick. Maybe a tad wider. Make two, then stuff one each into scoop on each side, completely filling the hole. They completely block the incoming air, and as a result the warm air from the engine is directed over your boots. I used Foamies on all my Concours with great success. They actually cause your boots to dry out when riding in the rain. Weird, but true. The neat thing is if the weather warms up or drys out, you can yank them out, suff them in a ziplock bag and tuck them away in your tank bag or saddle bag. You can buy the foam rubber at any store that sells supplies for upholstery, or craft shops and such. If you do a lot of riding they will indeed wear out after a season, so if you get a large chunk of foam you can make new ones each spring. The Original Rich Reed COG #7 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R 1977 Yamaha XS650 Standard 2004 Little Blue Chevy "Over the hill it's five bucks. Here in Idaho it's a hundred and eighty."

I installed a set of JCWhitney old GoldWing (39.95) air wings right at the point where the top of the fairing extenders would start. Summer time provides lot of fresh air. Winter time blocks air extremely well.