• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Favorite Places in WV

Sport rider

Iron Butt
I thought I'd post this for reference by anyone who may be looking for a place to stay while in WV.  The Old Clark Inn is located in Marlinton WV.  The couple that run it are really friendly, and this place is definitely motorcycle friendly, including providing kickstand plates, covered parking (if you get there early), rags, windex, and a hose/bucket to give your baby a bath should you feel the need.

No affiliation on my part, just lucky enough to find a great place while planning a trip.

http://www.oldclarkinn.com/

Looks like a nice place.  Might have to hit them up next time I go down Skyline drive.

Rella's Roadside Cafe in Hacker Valley surely belongs on this list. Good home cooking and friendly folk.

Thanks Steve.  I'll have to try to make it there on my next WV trip.

For reference, here's a google map link to it:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gs_upl=2562l2562l0l3218l1l1l0l0l0l0l141l141l0.1l1l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Rella's+Roadside+Cafe+in+Hacker+Valley&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Rella's+Roadside+Cafe&hnear=0x884bbe9173c30543:0x6faa63c22fb43d50,Hacker+Valley,+Northern,+WV&cid=0,0,17619959545612623066&ei=sjh3TsHsEcu3twes2rS2DA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQnwIwAA

Anyone lse got any hidden WV treasures to share?

I live in WV and do a lot of riding in the Eastern Panhandle. A few years ago my boyfriend and I took a 11 day odyssey around the state with the goal of spending each night in a different state park and eating well.  We succeeded. It was pre-Concours (we had matching 1985 Honda 650 Nighthawks), so our daily mileage was less than most Concours riders would be happy with.
WV has a fabulous state park system. For those who don't like to camp, fear not. Many state parks have lodges. And many have great restaurants. We particularly enjoyed the food at Pipestem Resort SP and Stonewall Jackson SP. At the former we had to race back uphill when we found the water level too high to wade across (we failed to call the number to get the water level) and take the tram down to the restaurant (the normal method of access). At Stonewall Jackson, we had the BEST of tent sites ever, on a wood platform right at the reservoir's edge. We walked to the restaurant in the lodge in the light of the full moon for a fabulous meal and went back the next morning for the unbelievably good (don't do this when on a diet) breakfast buffet. Feel free to send me a message if you're interested in touring WV. I have lots more good advice.

Ok, so technically this is a few minutes south of WV at linville falls nc.  Spears BBQ. 

5 mins off blueridge pkwy
cold beer
pulled pork
dynamite chocolate cake...
need i say more?  ;)

cheers
ian.

p.s.  or Willville bike camp at meadows of dan, VA  :motonoises:

Christy said:
I live in WV and do a lot of riding in the Eastern Panhandle. A few years ago my boyfriend and I took a 11 day odyssey around the state with the goal of spending each night in a different state park and eating well.  We succeeded. It was pre-Concours (we had matching 1985 Honda 650 Nighthawks), so our daily mileage was less than most Concours riders would be happy with.
WV has a fabulous state park system. For those who don't like to camp, fear not. Many state parks have lodges. And many have great restaurants. We particularly enjoyed the food at Pipestem Resort SP and Stonewall Jackson SP. At the former we had to race back uphill when we found the water level too high to wade across (we failed to call the number to get the water level) and take the tram down to the restaurant (the normal method of access). At Stonewall Jackson, we had the BEST of tent sites ever, on a wood platform right at the reservoir's edge. We walked to the restaurant in the lodge in the light of the full moon for a fabulous meal and went back the next morning for the unbelievably good (don't do this when on a diet) breakfast buffet. Feel free to send me a message if you're interested in touring WV. I have lots more good advice.

We stayed at the state park resorts when doing the Hatfield McCoy and they were great.  Wonderful state, I went back and spent a day riding my Vstrom on the back roads on the way back from NC.  Plan to go again in 2012.