• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Final Drive

That's why I like using synthetic gear lube in the rear diff on the Connie, and my truck both. Amsoil 75W-140 in the truck rear. Amsoil 75w-90 in the front diff and the Connie. 2003 Concours, 63K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Yes they get warm, hand held temps are subject to the pain threshold of the brain attached to said hand. I'll give you some numbers via this after my 33mi work commute on a hot day.

Yep. Never ask a professional burger flipper if something feels hot. He'll say no and you'll end up missing your fingerprints.

I use an infra red temp sensor to check bearings and the Final. In 60 F ambient I recorded 110 F on the final. I have not recorded it during the 95 F weather we have now. I will next week. Bearing temp is a good indicator as you can see the heat from the bearing vs a hot rotor with infra red. After a short ride my sons Yamaha rear bearing was 148 F (chain drive 650 cc)while the front was 95 F. Ambient was 90'S. Rear bearing was bad.

Coming down from Pike's Peak in an S-10 pickup years ago I was stopped by a Ranger for a routine brake temp check. He cleared me to go, so I asked him what the temp was and he said 90. I asked what hot was and he said 300. I did not think to ask him if that was C or F.

"I'll give you some numbers via this after my 33mi work commute on a hot day." In Home Depot today and noticed that they had a Ryobi Lazar temp unit for $29. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I have the same question on a thread some weeks back. Mine runs at about 180F, where some one else posted in the 130'sF. I thought mine "felt" really hot. I've been riding it, not getting worse, so I guess its ok.....