• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First accident with my connie.. and maybe the last

Ksnarf

Training Wheels
So here's the link to the imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/EAZXj

So here's what happened.
about 8am on Monday, traffic is fairly heavy. Riding between lane 1 and 2 at about 25mph as traffic was going 15-20mph.. I fully move into lane 2 as we approach a merge with another freeway.

I see a grey blob move from lane 1. I grab both brakes and clutch and try and slow down as much as I can. The car's right front fender impacts the left side of my bike. I feel the bike moving towards the ground and my first real thought "Ok, I'm going down." For the remainder of the accident I must rely on the witness accounts. the bike slid to the right and I pinballed off a car on the number 3 lane, striking that cars left rear fender then i spun around and impacted the ground on the right hand side with the motorcycle now facing the opposite direction of traffic flow.

I awoke under the bike, still running. I hit the kill switch and pushed the bike off me. I roll out from under the bike and into a crouching position. I take a moment to wiggle my toes and fingers and do a quick physical inspection to make sure everything is still there. I see 3 lanes of stopped traffic and on the left hand side of the freeway I see a grey Scion Xc, White chevy corvette and a dark grey Camaro. I look around and see that debris from my bike has spread across all three lanes. Pieces of fairing, saddlebags and it's contents. I pickup the larger chunks and begin moving them to the left side of the road. Another rider comes along and helps me pickup the bike. The fairing brace is preventing the forks from moving left or right and is locked straight ahead. . Luckily the bike is already at an angle to the road so push it to the right side of the road. The rider then helps me walk across the 3 lanes to the left hand side to join the rest of my gear and the other cars involved.

The driver of the Scion is quite emotional, telling everyone that she hit me. I initially waive off a witnesses request for an ambulance, but my legs give out from under me and I see that my left hand is shaking. A quick check of that hand tells me something is very wrong as my fingers won't really move and there is intense pain when I try. within a few minutes the highway patrol, fire department and ambulance are on the scene. They cut my left pants leg as blood was showing through the material as well as my shirt as I complained of shoulder pain.

I'll spare you the details of the ambulance ride, hospital visit and all that mess and get right to the injuries. Fractured 4th and 5th digit on left hand, left  thumb and wrist are sprained. bruises on both sides of my body as well as a couple ribs. All in all, my gear did it's job of protecting my core and head and I consider myself very lucky. I have been off work this week and have had to learn to type with only one functional hand. I have some concerns about long-term use of my left hand, but it's just a waiting game to see how badly things got damaged.

Now I get the fun of dealing with insurance. The police report won't be ready until the 25th of this month so I wait until then who is found to be at fault.

-Kris

So sorry that happened to you!!!  Glad you are alive!!!! Sorry about your injuries.  They will most likely heal, although as we get older, they heal much slower.  Take your time, and don't rush the recovery side of it. 

Wow, you sure had quite an adventure.  Glad to hear your injuries are relatively minor, but poor Connie!  Those pix told a very sad tale.  But there is some good news to come out of all of this:

I'm happy to announce that you do NOT qualify for the uncoveted CDA Award this time.  The CDA FAQ specifies Less than 5 mph (aka parking lot speed) and you're definitely over the limit.  Your incident is a Crash, not a Drop.  Don't worry though, most of us will encounter a Drop sooner or later.