• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First long trip....

rcannon409

Now, I dont think this really qualifies as a long trip at all, but it is for me.  I've ridden for years, but 99% has been in town or on a motocross track. This trip on my new to me 2008 Concours 14 abs will be the first time I've done a 300 mile trip on a motorcycle.  I never had the desire until riding this bike.

All fluids have been changed. Radiator topped off. Tires are new with less than 1000 miles on them.  Today I added a plug so my slime compressor can work directly from the battery as well as getting a plug set for tire issues.

The stock tool kit is pathetic, so I added a few quality wrenches and screwdrivers.

Is there anythign else I should be carrying besides a cell phone and a credit card?

The plug kit and compressor is the main thing. The factory tool kit may not be the best. But it has enough to get you by. There isn't much you do to repair newer bikes on the road anyway! You probably won't need anything (hopefully). You have a good bike, a credit card and cell phone. I think you have it pretty much covered within reason!

By the way, there is no "e" in Concours! Probably a victim of spell check!  :)

Is that 300 miles round trip or one way.  Rain gear if you dont have it. If your phone doesnt have a GPS system then a Map of the area as you will be tempted to take some roads less traveled.  Couple of bottles of water as your body isnt use to riding for these distances and a small first aid kit. Also, if your going alone let family know your approx destination and approx arrival time back home.

Not to rain on your parade but 300 miles is not that far on a Connie (cant speak for the C14 as I have a C10). But for some 300 miles is about their limit. You are about to find out what yours is. Either you will enjoy it or you will hate it (no in/between). If you enjoy it I would suggest you look up the Iron Butt Association web site to help prepare yourself for longer distances.  I commute on my Connie and a 300 mile ride (round trip) is about the minimum I do when I am riding for pleasure. Good luck and ride safe and let us know how it went. Ride safe.

Good for you rcannon!  I think you'll love it!  All suggestions above are good.  One other I have is to pace yourself a bit to make it more enjoyable.  When I'm doing trips or all day rides, I usually stop for 10-15 minutes every 60-90 minutes or so.  Just to stretch, get some water/snack, maybe a bathroom break.  Its amazing how refreshing a short break can be, and then the next hour is enjoyable and not a strain.  I've done many 300+ mile days, and my record (years ago) is 768, and that was on a Honda VFR.  The C14 will eat that mileage with no trouble at all!  Have fun!

One more thing you need to do. Buy a tank bag with a map pocket that has enough room for your water bottle and other small items. It's a bit of trouble to slide the bag out of the way during gas stops, but it's indispensable the rest of the time. So, for a short list of must haves:

- Tire repair kit
- Rain gear (get a cheap set of rain togs at Bass Pro Shop)
- Small first aid kit
- Sun screen
- Maps/GPS
- Rotor lock with alarm (if you plan on an over night. Check out the Xena offerings)
- Tank bag
- Water bottles (Drink one and buy a new on at each gas stop).

That should do it.

Cheers,
--Corey

Great advise and thank you. I appreciate this.  The trip is 300 miles each way.  The Concours comment, without the "e" is funny.  Spell check changes it for me. Never even noticed. It catches this, but not when I sent a message to my boss that said I was "shipping" the package today, but had two "t's" in place of the p's.  His reply was, "wow...thats gonna hurt!"  I'm nto so sure abotu thsi same technology deciding if I can start my bike.

I could tell 300 miles would be nothing to most people here, or the bike, but prior to this bike 100 miles offroad was my max.  We did an offroad ride from Moab to Grand Junction, Co.  Bloody hands from vibration, btu no other serious damage.

300 miles is 1 1/2 tanks of gas, piece of cake.

If your hands are becoming numb start using your legs to support your upper body so you are just lightly touching the bars.
I added Murph's lowered foot pegs and love them as they are much more relaxed on the knees and have room to move your foot around.
They are also excellent for standing up to stretch the legs.
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=401

So its a 600 mile trip, that would qualify as a long distance ride.  If you have time I would get the in-expensive throttle/wrist rest that sells for less than 11 dollars.  My first long distance ride (1000 miles) the  sore points were my throttle hand, knees and butt. But the PO had installed knee savers, throttlemeister throttle lock and a corbin seat so it was more that it was my first really long distance ride than the bike. But I took 20 minute breaks at each gas stop (200 miles) and a good long lunch break, so pain didnt get out of hand.  Good luck

The trip was a complete success.  The bike turned a planned 600 mile trip into slightly more than 800 since we were having so much fun.

The tall windshield I ordered arrived 45 minutes after I left. Love it when thing like this happen. The oem 08 windshield was ok, but its lack of height caused some incredible wind noise in the helmet.

I was especially pleased with the heat shields I bought off ebay. 110 degrees and no heat from the motor baking my right foot.

rcannon409 said:
The trip was a complete success.  The bike turned a planned 600 mile trip into slightly more than 800 since we were having so much fun.

The tall windshield I ordered arrived 45 minutes after I left. Love it when thing like this happen. The oem 08 windshield was ok, but its lack of height caused some incredible wind noise in the helmet.

I was especially pleased with the heat shields I bought off ebay. 110 degrees and no heat from the motor baking my right foot.

that's a nice long ride rcannon..  congrats on the first long ride..  you did 800 in 1 day or was that with a sleepover built in?

I would also recommend a throttlemeister or similar lock..  what gets me on longer rides is my throttle hand eventually, and being able to set the lock and stretch out my right hand makes a world of difference..

The 800 was split up over two days.  Someday I can see myself going for the 800 in one day, but so far I am too wimpy.  I did order the throttle lock, as suggested. I'm sure it will arrive minutes after I leave on the next ride.

ha..  which throttle lock did you go with? 

Your distance is about the same as my first real ride on the Concours I picked up recently..  my prior "touring" bike was a KTM 990 adventure, and the Connie was head and shoulders above it for street touring..  I used one of those alaskan sheepskin seat covers, and the stock seat was more than tolerable..  I'm going to start saving up, though, for a custom seat some day..

I did a ride and camp from Saturday to Sunday for father's day..  it was awesome..

glad you enjoyed your maiden long voyage, and good luck with the bike.

hahahaha timing is everything.  mine seems to be similair to yours.

rcannon409 said:
The 800 was split up over two days.  Someday I can see myself going for the 800 in one day, but so far I am too wimpy.  I did order the throttle lock, as suggested. I'm sure it will arrive minutes after I leave on the next ride.

a couple monts ago I did 700 miles on a Monday and the same back home the next day.  Music helps.....

I have the plugs, pump and most of the stuff the others said.....Maybe something to wash your windscreen and visor??? Plexxus?