• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First Major Service - Not happy with Dealer

ifilrxs

Tricycle
Well, I've negligent I know but I finally decided before going on a ride to Georgia and Smokies that it was time. Bike is 2006 that I bought new and has 15000 miles. The major service that I had ordered was based on what I had read on here. I had a pretty good list including valves, air filter, steering head adjustment and other things. Picked up bike today. Only 340.00. He said they did everything but they only charged me 2 hours labor. Got home - tires had 25 lbs front and 32lbs rear. Battery half full water. No new air filter. Doesn't look like plastic has been off. What do I do?

I would ask for a detail in writing on what was done and any parts used, tell em you just want to document the service for a files your keeping on the bike. If you can be pretty sure they did not do the service described then I would file a complaint with the DMV, BBB, if you can't get anything from the shop. The air filter is cleanable and does not really need to be replaced unless its damaged.

Thanks, I am going there today to get my truck that I left when I picked the bike up. Is 2 hours labor sufficent to change oil and check valves?

Two hours is the labor for an oil change. Supposed to include removal and reinstallation of body plastic to access filter and drain plugs. I had a partial service that was more, included carb sync and ran over $400 before discounts.

There is no reason that you can't do routine maintenance on your own bike. There are far more horror stories about inept/dishonest dealers than there are dealers who actually do a competent job. Working on the C10 is not only easy, it's very satisfying to anyone who wants a job done right. You could have bought a lot of beer with the 300 bucks you parted with for a crappy job. Learn to do it. Get a manual. Go to a COG wrench session. There's are a lot of Coggers who are glad to share their knowledge and time learnin' you how to keep your bike happy.

Learn to do it. Get a manual. Go to a COG wrench session. There's are a lot of Coggers who are glad to share their knowledge and time learnin' you how to keep your bike happy.
This. That's why I usually offer "hey, come on over and we'll get 'er fixed" to anyone local. I love working on bikes. You can learn to love it too. That I promise you. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

For that much I would have done a top-notch job AND shown you how to do it all yourself next time. And my wife would have taken pity on us and fed us lunch.

I'm willing to bet they didn't even do one damn thing on the list. lesse, scratch butt for 1 hour 57 minutes, check off form, for 11 seconds, try to remember how to write my name for the rest.... I'd be in there like flies on poop, calling the tech out in front of the manager, and facing them both off.... your bill should have been closer to 4 hours based on the description, and if they could do all that in 2 hours, omg we have a new allah. make them drain the oil and show you the filter...watch the tech squirm... before you go look at the bottom of the engine and see if it was wiped down, or if he even touched a thing....put a piece of tape across the valve cover to head joint, look for oil around areas that should have been wiped off....you got played man, I mean oil and filter if inflated was $50 out of the total bill...they charge how much an hour flat rate???? sorry to hear this.

I went back to dealer. Told them after seeing the battery and tires (which is all I could see, easily) that I did not believe the work was done. I know I was lied to. But, I learned a hard lesson. Maybe, the next time there is a tech session within reason of home I will try to go. I really don't mind getting hands dirty and have always enjoyed doing my own work on my cars in past. But in the meantime, I will ride to the Smokies next week and hope no damage is done til I can get back and have another mechanic check valves. Clayton (can't remember number but am dues paying member)

I went back to dealer. Told them after seeing the battery and tires (which is all I could see, easily) that I did not believe the work was done. I know I was lied to. But, I learned a hard lesson. Maybe, the next time there is a tech session within reason of home I will try to go. I really don't mind getting hands dirty and have always enjoyed doing my own work on my cars in past. But in the meantime, I will ride to the Smokies next week and hope no damage is done til I can get back and have another mechanic check valves. Clayton (can't remember number but am dues paying member)
That's the spirit! You have a great attitude.

I take it you didn't get your money back or raise enough hell to even get an apology from the dealer? If not, you let them off way too easy my friend!

Looks like said dealer is reading from this business plan:
disservice03.jpg
http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

All of the things you've mentioned are easy to do, the valves aren't complicated they just take time. It'd be a good time to replace your body panel screws with Murph's hex heads while you're at it, they look better and make life much easier. ::EDIT:: I'm surprised none of these guys have mentioned this, but it's probably because they're between very experienced and expert. I bear no such title so it sticks firmly in my mind. The main advantage to doing your own maintenance is that you know what's been done and you know it was done right. On a car, a failure of some system is usually just an inconvenience (unless it's brakes) on a bike, those same failures can cause you serious injury. Best to know it was done well. About the only thing I don't do myself is change my tires, though I should probably do that too. ::EDIT2:: Also, I should mention, that if you do have a breakdown on a long trip when you've done all of your own maintenance, you'll have a much easier time of diagnosing the problem and getting back on the road.