• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First Ride This Year

charlie gary

"Special" Assistant to the NWAD
  I rode 22 miles today.  Woohoo!  Rode 11 miles to work, 1/3 mile was actually curvy.  Worked on parts for a high school robotics team, rode 11 miles home.  That was my ride, and this is my report.

That's great!  I saw one Harley out yesterday late afternoon. And it was above freezing for like the second or maybe third day in a row!!! It might have been 40!!!!

Why not? It wasn't raining that hard.

How many miles did you get out of that front tire. I did my rear tire Sat and got installed yesterday and new brake pads, and got all washed and cleaned for todays ride. 8K for the BT-45 rear. You can see pics of my wear bar in that one tire tread. Might have gotten a little more out of it, but not super impressed with the mileage.

So far I have managed about 25 miles this year on about humm... 9  or 10 rides across 8 bikes.
3 x connies (2000, 00, 04)
1 x KTM 450
1 x Yam YR150
1 x Yam YR90
1 x Suzuki 425 2 stroke
1 x Suzuki ?? 4?? not sure what it was but it was quite quick round the track yesterday LoL

I'm hopeful this year I get in ore miles than last!

For those that are curious Darren and I went over to Royal City in Eastern WA yesterday to hit the dirtbike track there as the snowmobile conditions are pathetic this year. It was like spring and as warm as toast, a group of us took turns on the bikes we dragged over there.  ;D

Suffice to say we all had a great time!! But my body is a little unhappy today even thou I only bit the dirt once (hate those right handers LoL)

Outside of the daily 32 mile round trip commute? Not much.  Out May Valley to Issaquah Hobart road to Black Diamond Auburn Road along Flaming Geyser Park.  North on 18 to North Bend and Home.  Pitiful.

Oh Spring, where art thou?

The Dude said:
Outside of the daily 32 mile round trip commute? Not much.  Out May Valley to Issaquah Hobart road to Black Diamond Auburn Road along Flaming Geyser Park.  North on 18 to North Bend and Home.  Pitiful.

Dude.  You circled my house.  Your stint on 18 brought you within a mile.

200 miles Sat riding with the OLY rat group out of Triumph of Tacoma in Lakewood (Triumph dealer in oly has come and gone...)
Great group, similar to coggers as far as not overly concerned with bike brands. Been riding with them for years.
6 riders
started dry.
Was wet out in Montesano!

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
The Dude said:

18 isn't bad as slabs go.  A good  stretch to open her up if the revenuers are out

I have ridden a bit this year already, mostly commute but I did get to make a run to my brother in laws in Murchison/Edom (home of The Shed for you TWT'ers) on Saturday and home again on Sunday. My first extended just for fun ride! :))

The Dude said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
The Dude said:

18 isn't bad as slabs go.  A good  stretch to open her up if the revenuers are out

Just keep your eyes peeled for the cop in a plane.  They like to fly over 18.

Had a Brrr ride today.
Rode over to Gerbings in Tumwater this afternoon. The jacket had an intermittent electric connection for over a year regardless of which bike. Finally the coax would not slide together so made the overdue visit for repair.
They had it done in 10 min with a walk in!
Cold ride there cool ride home. About 40 plus today. Mostly sunny with a few spitting moments

Yeah too bad it was 34 and dusting of snow on the cars this morning. I drove the truck and traffic sucked. Man I love the HOV lane.

Rode to work as usual today, don't think I've missed more than 5 days or so since the start of the year.  8)

Charlie, are you working with the FIRST team at Tahoma HS or what?  Have a colleague who is a mentor there.  I am planning to attend the competition at the Key on 19 March....

Rob, roy

Do you find riding more often in winter on the DL650 compared to heavier Connie?

Rob said:
Rode to work as usual today, don't think I've missed more than 5 days or so since the start of the year.  8)

Dan -

Well, to tell the truth I prefer the DL650 all around, but this winter I am actually riding the Connie more, especially on the really lousy days for the obviously better weather protection.

By the way, I also made a brrr ride to Gerbings a few weeks back for a repair to my full liner.  Great people down there!  They ended up just replacing it with one of the new microwire liners for no cost!

Rob

dano motoman said:
  Rob, roy

Do you find riding more often in winter on the DL650 compared to heavier Connie?

Rob said:

Rob said:

Dang. I have not missed too many days this year either. 37 and wet the other morning and I left.  34 degrees, wet roads, and snow on the car gets me thinking. All in all I would have been fine. But I have gotten caught on what I call  "White Monday" several times. I make it to work, but making it home was a little more exciting. -- The Freeways is 90% of my commute mileage and generally in much better shape than the side roads. The last little bit to my work building is down a nice little hill and a right turn thats always in the shade. Stays icey or frosty where the remaining roads are ok.-- the other day it had some landscaping guys out there in the rain and the turn was muddy as hell. Nice little pucker factor, woke me right up. Morons.

Rob said:

Charlie, are you working with the FIRST team at Tahoma HS or what?  Have a colleague who is a mentor there.  I am planning to attend the competition at the Key on 19 March....

Rob,
  I work with the kids from Newport High School in Bellevue.  NRG, #948.  And don't go to Key Area March 19th.  Try the Qwest Field Event Center, instead.  I hope they have bleachers, or it's going to be a miserable experience.

Thanks for that!  Maybe my colleague was trying to keep me away.  >:D

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Rob,
  I work with the kids from Newport High School in Bellevue.  NRG, #948.  And don't go to Key Area March 19th.  Try the Qwest Field Event Center, instead.  I hope they have bleachers, or it's going to be a miserable experience.

Rob said:
Thanks for that!  Maybe my colleague was trying to keep me away.  >:D

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Rob,

Please let us know if he actually goes there himself and can't figure out why he's the only one there.  :))

I thought that I'd get my first ride in on St. Patrick's Day morning. Once the chores that required 4 wheels got done, it was too late. Wasn't about to pit my sober 2 wheels against any potentially drunken 4. Friday in the Hudson Valley of NY was gorgeous, though! Temps in the '70's, light breeze, abundant sunshine, and very little sand from the winter plows. About 25 miles yesterday, only about 15 today. Much colder... should have worn long johns! Olympia AST jacket has been great in all but the hottest weather. Insulated liner was needed today.

It's below freezing right now. But I'm going to try to get out a bike this morning and go with the guys for breakfast (even if it's suppose to snow again now!) But it's suppose to be a nice day. A cold start, but high 40's and full sun. So it will be a good chance to try out the new Gerbings riding coat and heavier Gerbings gloves! I'll start digging everything out shortly. I definetly need to do a pre trip since I haven't been out yet this year!  8)

Not exactly sure when my first ride was this year, but it was sometime in mid-April. Despite having to stay close to home to care for a sick wife, I have been fortunate enough to take the bike out for brief rides when the weather has been agreeable, and someone has been there to stay with her. 

Here's a story that you'll likely never hear anywhere else...
I own a restaurant/craft beer bar, and we had run out of french fries one afternoon. I ordinarily receive a large delivery from my food purveyor each week, or drive there in my Jeep to buy what is needed. Well, I had the bike that day, so I rode to their location, about a 20 minutes away, and ended up putting three 5-pound bags of fries in each saddlebag. (With room to spare! I think I may conveniently "run out" a little more often. And, guess what I'll be using to pick up food if I run short?)

Sadly, the weather in the Hudson Valley of NY is looking anything but conducive to riding for the next week. Hope everyone else is getting some good rides in.