• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Flashing your headlights means you are clear to go, I'm yielding to you, right?

Strawboss

WRONG! I'm stopped at a crossroads, waiting to go straight, cross traffic does not stop, car coming up from my right, slowing down, turn signal on to turn left, he/she flashes his/her headlights, means go, right, means you are clear to go ahead of me, right? Wrong .......I stay. Good thing, he/she continues through intersection at speed. WTF? I rarely ever go, only if I have a HUGE safety cushion and its so obvious I can go do I ever go. I don't do it at work with the fire truck, why would I do it on a bike?

Flashing your lights can mean a lot of things:

a) I'm yielding to you,
b) Get/stay out of my way,
c) There's a speed trap ahead,
d) Dim your brights,
e) There's some bad craziness in the road,
f) I recognize you, or think I do

Probably a lot more too.  I don't trust my life to someone flashing their lights at me.

ChipDoc said:

a) I'm yielding to you,
d) Dim your brights,

Probably a lot more too.  I don't trust my life to someone flashing their lights at me.

+++ 1000 

Sometimes I think it's a case of yanking or bumping the lever just enough to cause the lights to flicker.

When someone is merging in front of me or lane change I will hit the brights and if they merge and hit the tail lights I know we were on the same page.

If I'm at a 4 way stop and another driver is also stopped and flashed their lights at me, I take that as they're telling me to proceed into the intersection.  Never been run into yet in 40 years of driving.

PG.

My least favorite modern WTF- ism - Vehicle stopped at stop sign. I approach from their right and wish to make a left turn in front of them, figuring, they have a stop sign, they should wait for me, yes? No - apparently left turn around a stopped vehicle means they should pull out in front of you, and you should go behind them. Guess I missed that day in driver's ed... Don't mind when they pull it off with aplomb, but when they give you the WTF? look because they had to wait by law, just makes me wanna reach out and b---- slap them on the way by.

Right of way laws - fun for some, not so much for others.

We have a light in front of our house...sometimes it flashes red on one side and yellow on the other...people are clueless as what to do too much of the time.

If it goes completely dark (no lights at all) get some popcorn and a chair...the shows about to begin.

ChipDoc said:

a) I'm yielding to you,
d) Dim your brights,

One more for the list.

g) Look at me, look at me. I want to make sure you see me so you don't pull out in front of me

Something "possibly" that folks may not have thought of. Most of today's automobiles have the high/low beam selector of the same stalk as the turn signals. As such I find it very easy to inadvertently flash the headlights when meaning to just turn on my directionals. I know this because it happens to me now and then where just slight pressure to the rear when moving the directional selector will flash the headlights. I have noticed my hi beam indicator come on momentarily when this has happened, so I know I have done it unintentionally.
  As such, I never pull out until a vehicle has stopped and waved me out or flashed multiple times. (I never flash just once when signaling others with my headlights) Other than that, I assume any flashing was unintentional and yield the right of way. The key for me is them pretty much being stopped or very close to it.

Sgt Mac said:
ChipDoc said:

a) I'm yielding to you,
d) Dim your brights,

One more for the list.

g) Look at me, look at me. I want to make sure you see me so you don't pull out in front of me

add to this: Deer ahead, lots of 'em  :eek:

I am about to display my ineptitude. I have inadvertantly flashed my brights when trying to spray water onto the windshield.  But to be fair, I have also sprayed water onto the windshield when I was trying to turn on the brights as well...

At this rate, I will be hiding my own Easter Eggs by Christmas... 

My high beam intentionally flashes continuously during daylight hours.  It's called a headlight modulator.  It has saved my bacon on numerous occasions.  Do I care whether it confuses some four or more wheel drivers?  No, because at least they can see me to be annoyed. 

KellyfromVA said:
My high beam intentionally flashes continuously during daylight hours.  It's called a headlight modulator.  It has saved my bacon on numerous occasions.  Do I care whether it confuses some four or more wheel drivers?  No, because at least they can see me to be annoyed.

I am also a believer of using headlight modulators. I personally have seen a drastic difference between using a modulator and not. But I think this thread is more about folks signaling for you to go rather than other drivers not seeing us.

A fact of little use but on the topic of signaling other drivers:

Used to be (and probably still is) against federal law for truck drivers to signal other drivers via hand signals. Things like the circling left arm out the window meaning "pass me" are what the law is about. It was more relevant before trailers became 102" wide.

Even though it may be against federal law, I maintained a one finger salute for those drivers who would not allow me to move over to the middle lane when an LEO or the like was on the shoulder, and a 1/8th mile of my signal light did not mean anything to them on a three lane road with little or no traffic to impede their potential courtesy / help out your fellow man kinda thing. It it makes anyone feel better, I did not wave said finger emphatically and with great drama - I just stuck my old dog paw out there with the salute.  :great:

Never flash your lights.

Weave your bike from side to side to get them to notice your headlight when coming up on a possible turning vehicle.  The eye gets lazy but responds to moving images.

KellyfromVA said:

until someone thinks you are yeilding to them  :eek: . No modulator for me thanks .

When I was younger,we would flash our headlights to let truckers know it was alright to change lanes.But now days they (immigrant truck drivers in particular) don't know what it means. Sooo???  The Wizard

The Wizard said:
When I was younger,we would flash our headlights to let truckers know it was alright to change lanes.But now days they (immigrant truck drivers in particular) don't know what it means. Sooo???  The Wizard

Sooooo true. I tend to aid drivers in safe lane changes. I notice younger and/or not so average American drivers tend not to either understand or respond.

cra-z1000 said:
KellyfromVA said:

until someone thinks you are yeilding to them  :eek: . No modulator for me thanks .

Modulator doesn't flash on/off, it modulates from low to high - more of a flicker that's REALLY OBNOXIOUS (and therefore effective). It makes a light seem like it's not working right.

I agree with your Strawboss, but as these responses clearly identify, it means different things to different people.  And that assumes you are dealing with someone competent.  I'm rarely more disappointed in humanity then when I'm driving.  It is statistically impossible, but I swear 75% of the people driving have less than average intelligence.

I never trust my life to other's flashing lights or hand signals.
I am sure we all have experienced a driver in the right lane giving us the  to go  ahead when they have the right of way only to find another driver passing on their left.

Things I do recognize
1) on coming traffic flashing their lights signing a police speed trap a head -slow down
2) a long tractor trailor trying to pull in front of me in heavy traffic.  I flash my lights indicating I will yield and give them room to pull in.  I usually get an on/off flash of their lights in response.  I assume this is an acknowledgement or thank you.
3) flash to pass in the left lane - works about %50 of time.  I am not sure if this is because some drivers don't know what it means or just feel that they are entitled to the left lane.

I m not a fan of modulating headlights, they only seem to annoy the other drivers around me. They certainly annoy me and are distracting.  I don't need another reason for car divers to be pissed at me.

IMO Modulators are rude. Especially when they are behind you. It falls into the: Its All About Me Thing!. What if every car and bike used them. I feel the same way about really loud pipes.

To the OP. I always thought the flash meant they were giving you the right of way. And when two vehicles get to a 4 way at the same time the one on the right has the right of way. Also the driver going straight has the right of way. However these rules no longer apply as too many drivers fall into the: It's All About Me Thing! I always let the other guy go first. Even if I have to get out or off the vehicle and wait.

ConcoursKZ said:
IMO Modulators are rude. Especially when they are behind you. It falls into the: Its All About Me Thing!. What if every car and bike used them. I feel the same way about really loud pipes.

To the OP. I always thought the flash meant they were giving you the right of way. And when two vehicles get to a 4 way at the same time the one on the right has the right of way. Also the driver going straight has the right of way. However these rules no longer apply as too many drivers fall into the: It's All About Me Thing! I always let the other guy go first. Even if I have to get out or off the vehicle and wait.

I agree there's a fine line there between making people see me and being obnoxious. I have my modulator on a manual switch - it's off at night and in situations where it could be obnoxious (like I'm in a line of cars on a single-lane road...no sense annoying the daylights outta the guy in front of me for 20 miles).

It has seriously made a difference in being seen though - people see me coming up behind them on I95 (so they don't suddenly move into my lane), they see me more at intersections, etc. Since I can turn it off/on, I've tried riding the same routes both ways, and it really seems to make a difference.

ajsfirehawk said:
Nice middle ground option JimBob, I'd rather be obnoxious and alive than polite and dead.

Hahahaha...ok, so you're all on-board with the Harley Straight-Pipe Gang then?  :D

Yea, it's a tricky balance...when it's my arse in the saddle among a bunch of idiot drivers it can feel that way...and  I have to remind myself to "don't be an azz".

As someone else said, I find most drivers are idiots, even when driving the pickup with a trailer - they tailgate my little utility trailer. Fine, it's your front end that will be hosed by my trailer that has a ton of stones in it...

Flashing Headlights only means ONE THING:  "I don't know the rules of the road, and I'm signaling you to let you know
I'm about to confuse the p!ss out of you!" 

Never assume any other vehicle is about to commit to an act of kindness....  I made that mistake once.... just once.

JimBob said:
ajsfirehawk said:
Nice middle ground option JimBob, I'd rather be obnoxious and alive than polite and dead.

Hahahaha...ok, so you're all on-board with the Harley Straight-Pipe Gang then?  :D

Yea, it's a tricky balance...when it's my arse in the saddle among a bunch of idiot drivers it can feel that way...and  I have to remind myself to "don't be an azz".

As someone else said, I find most drivers are idiots, even when driving the pickup with a trailer - they tailgate my little utility trailer. Fine, it's your front end that will be hosed by my trailer that has a ton of stones in it...

What the heck is that all about???? I drive 70 k in a cage per year and I have never tailgated. But I have been hit by many stones from fools driving around with loose loads and stones on little utility trailers. I just changed my windshield for the 2nd time on my 2013 Ford taurus. It had 5 stone cracks n it. I also got hit by a stone on the C14 today. I didn't crack it but it was loud. I think I will bite my tongue now.

Harley straight pipes are absurd to me.  We are talking about light, not sound.  The ability to turn the modulator on in high traffic density, high risk situations makes sense to me.  I'm not saying more or less than that.

I's just kiddin' there firehawk...it's all findin' a balance that works. There's a certain logic to the straight-pipe crowd, as there is to the modulator users. Just can't cross the line and be a jerk with either one.

Concours - I ride with a tarp over stuff like stones, was more thinking what happens to the tailgater when they run *into* a trailer loaded with a ton of stones because I stopped suddenly. Ain't gonna hurt my truck, because the 2000lbs of stone and trailer will absorb the impact and the tongue will bend/break before truck is damaged. But their car will be quite tore up when the steel frame of the trailer rips up the front of their car.

People seem to tailgate trailers like they tailgate bikes -- they can see past them so pace the vehicle up front, not the trailer or bike.

All good, I wasn't put off, just clarifying my position.  The straight pipes thing is a hot button with me now that I'm a cranky old curmudgeon.  Being honest I had a set many years ago.  It is totally a look at me thing and I've come to terms with being an insignificant piece of cosmic dust.