• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

float bowl levels

kawani

Training Wheels
I was wondering does altitude effect where you set the floatbowl levels I am in Denver Colorado and didn't see anything in the manual in that regards but was wondering if it maybe it did? Todd

The answer is no. Gravity is the same everywhere. I recently rode from Alabama to Arizona, north to Colorado, and then traveled from the southwest corner eastward over mountains and up through Middle Park to Colorado Springs. Continuing the route east toward home took me across Kansas, Missouri, western Tennessee and on to Decatur. My bike performed beautifully. Before departing, I had cleaned and set the carbs, synced them, and adjusted the bike for a long trip. You have no change in engine operation up and down elevation, if everything is set and maintained well. Colorado is a BEAUTIFUL ride!

I agree with don. The only thing altitude will change is your fuel mixture. I would say if you live in Denver which is like 5000 ft above sea level, you would need to change your jetting.

The float height is independent of pressure as its an open vented bowl. To set the height first check them in the bike with the bike level on the center stand (not side stand) Set the petcock to Prime (all the way forward) Connect a clear tube to the nipple at the bottom off the #1 carb tension the tube to crimp the tube by the nipple. then slowly crack open the drain screw. holding the tube up against the side of the carb (in the center) slowly let the tube fill with gas making sure there are no air bubbles in the tube. That's why I crimp the tube by initially pulling it sideways. The level of the gas should be within 1mm of the parting line of the carb. repeat for all the carbs and note if any are high or low, and make a note of the height. Never lower the tube as that will cause the gas to flow back into the bowl and give an incorrect reading. Give the gas time to settle as the flow rate is low at the end of the fill. To adjust the float level, (optional order jet kit from SISF or Murph) drain the carb bowls, remove the carb rack, remove the blanks from the slow running jets, service the cabs (see article in Winter? 06 issue of Concourier) remove the float bow, and "gently" adjust the tang on the float, by tweaking it up or down. Replace the bowls (optional replace screws with cap head screws) Check on the bench with a temporary gas supply. Adjust as necessary. Re-install carbs. Go ride. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

thanks guys I didn't think so but you know how myths are and I had people teling me that altitude should effect it and so I thought I would pose it to the experts< Todd

I mad e a color hose diagram for hose routing as well at some point I will post it when I find time as it makes it easy on the eyes to see where things go if you ever have question. because I was an idiot when tearing it down and didn't mark my hoses I have learned more lessons tearing this bike down than I care to admit Todd

Gasoline (all fluids, really) will have a lower density with higher altitude, so the float should sit lower in the fluid, making the fuel level in the bowl higher if it was set at a lower altitude. If the fuel level is set at a high altitude, it should drop with a decrease in elevation. How much it changes will depend on the application.