• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Foggy mountain hop

Anyone been over Chinook or N.Cascades lately? I am curious about any risk of black ice. I am considering Chinook for Saturday and Mt.Baker for sunday. The rest of the greater NW has been looking good, even overnight lows. The lowlands have this sucky fog. I rode Stevens and old Blewett last Saturday and it was great until after North Bend on the way home.

This time of year, I limit my northern pass riding to White Pass since I live to the south. And, that won't be on the list much longer!  Have fun.

I did it Saturday. Broke out of the fog near Snoqualmie summit and had a good ride, little traffic. Took 821 through Yakima Canyon to Selah, then the backway to Naches where I had a good lunch at a sandwich café downtown(about 2 blocks). I rolled out and up 410 by Cliffdell and into the forest. The air felt a lot colder through the woods but the last few miles before Chinook it warmed some. Fantastic views with the clear air. I followed the road down through Greenwater and took 169 to 405. Made it home at dark. Try checking road temps on www.wsdot wa.gov/weather

Fog finally broke today , rain a tiny bit this morning and then it was glorious sunshine . I did the Hood Canal loop (Up Hwy 101 , across the Hood Canal bridge , followed Hwy 16 to Purdy and then back down to Shelton via Hwy 302 and Hwy 3) First time I've been on this long a ride and didn't spot one other connie .

I rode over Chinook two weeks ago, there was about a foot of snow on the ground, and Tipsoo Lake is starting to freeze over. Of course, things can drastically change in two weeks!

Just to make those who don't live in the PNW jealous, I'm including some pictures of Chinook Pass.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 93
Ring around the mtn (Ranier) today.
Cool but sunny. Even more cold thru Skate Cr as ddi not get much sunshine in that canyon.

Tipsoo Lake, Mt Ranier Nat'l Park
Roads clear and mostly dry.
003-L.jpg

Mortech said:
Fog finally broke today , rain a tiny bit this morning and then it was glorious sunshine . I did the Hood Canal loop (Up Hwy 101 , across the Hood Canal bridge , followed Hwy 16 to Purdy and then back down to Shelton via Hwy 302 and Hwy 3) First time I've been on this long a ride and didn't spot one other connie .

I used to live off of 160th and Crescent Valley road in Gig Harbor years ago. 160th is the county line road between Kitsap and Pierce. I used to ride the same routes you just did all the time. Have you ever had a Bubba Burger at Bubba's in Wauna, they are huge and absolutely fabulous.

No, but with some decent non-fog weather I will do a lap of Puget sound. I've been taking the Whidbey ferry on the way back. There's always the Sumas brunch run on a Sunday, all depends on the forecast. I don't trust anything over 48 hours in advance.