• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork brace...

ZIGZAG

Training Wheels
Windshield... check. (Replaced with a Rifle.) Handlebar risers... check. (1-1/4" black anodized blocks.) Tank bag... check. (Firstgear Siverstone II.) Now... looking for a fork brace, and maybe a higher passenger back rest.

Murph's Kits has the fork brace, and so does MCL (Motorcycle Larry.) Would rather not get involved with banging it into place, for fear of scoring the fork tubes. Leaning towards the MCL unit, with dust shields. Success (or horror) stories appreciated...

Don't currently carry passengers, but hoping to have my wife riding on the back soon. Would like something more substantial. Awould prefer not having to drill anything.

I have the KB, from Murph brace and it fit right in with no need to tap it into place. I've had it 8 years now finish still looks new.
Instead of the higher back rest why not a rear case, you know you'll need to space for things soon enough !!

norm-9688 said:
I have the KB, from Murph brace and it fit right in with no need to tap it into place. I've had it 8 years now finish still looks new.
Instead of the higher back rest why not a rear case, you know you'll need to space for things soon enough !!

I installed the brace the Murph sells on my '86 and it made a world of difference.  Installation was easy.

When I got my '04 I took the brace off the old connie with intentions of putting it on the "new" bike.
It didn't slip into place like it did on the first install and it seemed like it would take a lot of force to get the job done.
So I called Murph to see if there was difference between the old model and the newer one.  He suggested that I loosen
the pinch bolts and axle nut, bounce the front end a few times, and then check the clearance.  That did the trick.  The
brace slipped right into place.  I have to say that handling improvement was less noticeable on the newer connie.  I'm
guessing that the front end changes that were made on the later models make the fork brace less of a necessity.

+1 on the idea of getting a tail trunk with a back rest.  My wife felt very insecure riding pillion until I put a Givi trunk on the back.
Now she doesn't worry about sliding off the back of the bike when I accelerate and the trunk is very useful space.