• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork oil level 2000 Concours

mikefyten

Bicycle
I'm doing an idiot check. The fork oil level on the 2000 is measured with the fork FULLY COMPRESSED....correct?

I just rebuilt the forks and filled and measured fork oil level with the fork fully compressed, spring out. I had the fork mounted in the bike but not front wheel installed so I was able to fully compress each fork separately.

Filled with 15w....forks seem stiff and wanting to make sure I followed proper procedure.

Thanks for the input

Mike

Yes forks fully compressed, springs out.  Did you cycle them up and down a few times to get all the trapped air out?  How much of an air gap did you leave?  Mark

Yes, I cycled the forks several times before taking the measurement. I left 6.73" /171mm air space, as indicated in my manual.

MAN OF BLUES said:
FSM showed 10/w30 as the oil, so yeah, 15 does stiffen it slightly, especially compared to the old worn oil...

my 2007 FSM says 10w20 in the suspension chapter for fork oil, I have been researching this and 10w30 motor oil comes up for a lot of old Honda fork recommendations, I am thinking of trying it in my 91 which is easy to change with those drain screws and I have a lot of it around

Explain what you want when you say you want to stiffen the front end?
Do you want the shock s to move slower, or have less dive?

Changing the viscosity changes the damping, (slows or speeds the rate fluid moves thru the shock orifices).
  Adding preload to the spring or decreasing fluid level will "stiffen" the suspension.

If you  "increase" the oil level 1/4" (sir pocket will change from 6 3/4" to 6 1/2") you will have less dive when braking, and it's less likely to bottom out on hard bumps.
ie; Stiffen.
It does this because the air gap is smaller and builds pressure slightly quicker as the front end dives.

No one believes me, but,,
Forks should have anti foaming hydraulic oil in them.
I use ATF which "is" 10 - 15 wt anti foaming hydraulic oil.

Roadisattva, yours is easy to change, give it a try.
Tell us what you think.
If ya don't like it, change it.

Ride safe, Ted

Connie_rider - would you clarify please?

You said "decreasing fluid will stiffen suspension" - is this correct? Decreasing oil volume, or decreasing the measurement? i.e. Decreasing the inch measurement from top of fork tube to the oil, which would be an *increase* in fluid volume would increase stiffness in fork (which makes sense to me). WOuldn't an increase in fluid volume increase the spring rate (and also damping)?

Thanks for the input.

Wish the forums for my cars had the brainpower we got around here - instead they're full of "sticker=faster" crowd!

MY oops.
I meant to say.  Increase the fluid level (or decrease the air gap from 6 3/4" to 6 1/2").
Thanx for the keeeee-rection!

Ride safe, Ted