• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork trouble ?

rustycycles6701

Just purchased a 99 C-10 and looking forward to some great riding. Bike has 130,000 kms, It has a leaky left side fork, on my test ride there is a clunking sound coming from the frt area every time I hit a bump on the road. Can the fork oil level be checked while they are still on the bike ?

EZ to check the fork oil level. But you really need to look into the leaking shock seal first.

To check the level.
Put the bike on center stand and raise the front wheel off the ground slightly.
Remove e'nuff plastic etc to reach the fork caps easily.
Loosen the upper tripple tree clamp bolts.
Unscrew the fork caps.
When they come off, there is some spring force so be aware.
After they are off, remove the springs and spacers.
Lower the front of the bike fully.
Look into the forks and measure oil level.
Oil should be approx. 6 1/2" from the top.

If the level is low add some oil. (ATF works fine for a quick test)
Intentionally overfill slightly.
** An EZ way to service the forks is to buy a turkey baster and a length of hose.
Put the hose onto the baster and lower the end 6 1/2" into the fork tube.
Using the baster (with hose set at 6 1/2") suck the oil out of the fork tube.
When you suck air, the level is exactly 6 1/2".

Ride safe, Ted

Sounds like ur clunk noise might be loose steering head bearings. Bike on center stand and raise front wheel off ground by weighting the rear seat. There should be no forward/backward play at handlebarstry and pull up on bars as well. Easy enough to adjust and tighten down. Just to the point of them falling to right or left. Check the forum for additional info using search key.

Sounds like ur clunk noise might be loose steering head bearings. Bike on center stand and raise front wheel off ground by weighting the rear seat. There should be no forward/backward play at handlebarstry and pull up on bars as well. Easy enough to adjust and tighten down. Just to the point of them falling to right or left. Check the forum for additional info using search key.
Will try that, Thanks đź‘Ť

I use a speed handle so I can press down on the cap when I remove or install the cap. Remember if removing both caps the forks will compress.

I think Bernard is trying to say , there's a bolt that secures the front fairing to the steering column. The bolt can fall out and give u that clunk sound on bumps.

There was another thread here somewhere , and a picture was posted showing the culprit bolt location

My 99 the fairing bolt was loose and the front fender was loose to the internal fork brace/ attach bracket. The fender I just replaced the pop rivets. Both made noise.

On the forks, occasionally members are able to remove the dirt that builds up under the seals to stop the leaking. (The dirt prevents the seal from doing it's job)
On the C-10 you have to remove the wiper ring to get to the seal. EZ to do.
The tool below is what is used, or you could build one out of a water bottle or milk jug.

Here is another type of tool. Haven't seen them before but should work too.

Ride safe, Ted

Just purchased a 99 C-10 and looking forward to some great riding. Bike has 130,000 kms, It has a leaky left side fork, on my test ride there is a clunking sound coming from the frt area every time I hit a bump on the road. Can the fork oil level be checked while they are still on the bike ?
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, the bolt for fairing mount is tight, upper head brgs good, fork tree bolts all good, frt axle and brgs good. I backed out the fork spring adjuster bolts by 3 lines and it helped. Fork seal no longer Leaks after properly cleaning. If the fork fluid is very low could it cause a banging noise through the fork tube. I have no idea how much would have leaking out during previous owners possession.

If one fork was leaking and the other wasn't, you most likely have different amounts of oil in each fork which isn't good. You should definitely drain and replace the oil in both forks.

As a rule of thumb whenever I buy a used bike, I change all fluids (engine oil, rear drive oil (if applicable), brake, clutch, fork). You never know what kind of sake the previous owner has in there and when the last time it was changed. This gives you a good baseline for maintenance going forward.

I agree, best to remove all the fork oil and refill.
Adding fluid is only to do a test. (to check if the level is so low it is causing the fork clunk)
I doubt the fluid could be so low that It causes this.