• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

FortNine stirring the darkside pot!

In watching the video, and in his own words, and final "chalk board hypothisis"
go for it.

why? because you can..
i won't say why "not"... I enjoy railing corners, and not compensating.  :great:  mileage?... meh.. I change tires, oil filters, and tune my bike. saving $ doesn't make me switch tires..

but, I do thank you for the vid link.. it was fun to watch, and in the end, I cannot see his real point.
:beerchug: :great: :great: :??:

oh, and my comments are specific to the bikes I actually own, and ride... not what he was riding.

That was good info . I've heard plenty of stories about how great car tires handle ...etc . The fact is a good rider can make it work well for them....still doesn't mean its safe though .

well, I did actually run a car tire on my Harley Panhead Duo Glide", way back in time  I mean wayy back, before my first Concours bike... never liked it, ended up peeling it off and trading it for a new Dunlop correctly sized, and when the bike was sold, it was fine.

fact is, anyone that wants to claim can do so... they are never responsible for the actions of the person they tell, that "believes" it as a fact.  If I told someone to do something, that goes against all rationality, and they get messed up... I could never sleep... but then, I don't make you tube vids, and say "man, this is it..'
I don't see him actually doing that either, he used extreme caution, and the ending of it, and after watching it, seems like... well, he really does not recommend it. watch it twice, or 3 times.. I think it will be clear.

peace.
tell people what you proved, after running 100k, on something.
that holds a bit more credibility.

One of the better balanced reviews IMO.
As  veteran rider of  6 decades and 12 of those years as a darksider on 3 C-10's and over 100k mi and counting .......

Thank you Dan,
you have run them extensively.  and I do thank you for doing it.

we have seen the revues.
I just make this something that someone should realize as "outside the box", and the majority on Concours owners, current and past, members, and technical folks, have commented on.

ride safe, and wear long.  :great: :great:  peace.

Interesting and says what we all really knew anyway. Longer life, bad handling. Looking at him lean over and looking at the contact patch shows me that it is not really safe. Even if you are a more sedate rider, you can sometimes go into a corner a bit hot and then you will be glad you have a MC tire.
BTW - I have never heard of this fellow but in the last shot of him sitting in the street on the chair, tat street is about 15 minutes away from me. My son lives in a condo one block north and almost the exact spot in the block. He could throw a rock and bean the guy.  There is a MC shop on that block.

For me the argument will always hinge on improper fitment because of significant design differences in rim contact points of two types of tires/rims. This FortNine details in his vid. He does appease the darkside by saying it is workable without this secondary designed backup at rim fit points. A true statement like his others. He concludes with motorcyclist are by nature prone to take risks by the very fact they are motorcyclists. I say well done production of long standing witches brew type discussion.

My darkside fantasy experiment would be a car rim laced to motorcycle hub with a Michelin XZX from Coker tire. A EMPI VW rim/motorcycle hub weld up/bolt up might be fanciful too. 15 inch rim/wheel/tire will be best one can find and mockup now days. Hard to do frugally. Might look nutty too. Handling? Who knows? Someone has probably already done it though somewhere on the darkside! I never will. Ha!

Would also opine FortNine does great product reviews. Think he would qualify as a frugal in his view more than not. Yes too over the years he has been doing online productions, his are improving greatly in quality. I for one am a fan. Tip of the hat to a motorcyclist who is trying to serve other motorcyclists in his fashion.

Oh! His review of the then new Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX was the bomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkPMj9iSB2Q

That's all folks!

Oooohhhh!! {err I mean arghhh}
Lee/Mike,,, You made me watch that!
                      Now,,, I want one.  {Can't afford it, but I want one}

Ride safe, Ted

The difference between H2 is that on the H2R the antilock brakes can be switched off.

Yeah right! Price tag on the H2R is $50,000 and the H2 is $25,000. The difference in boost might be as great. 

Got da blues so bad once! So do not have 25k for such toys, but more than that I am not 25 yrs old to enjoy such toys! He He.

Yeah I would ride one! Either one. Both if I could.
Then I might sing the blues for want of 50K.......

Larry_Buck_FL said:
What is the typical life of a car tire on the Connie?  TIA.

Larry,

I have put on 15-20k mi on a few and not worn to the wear bars yet using a 15" wheel from the ZL. So it may be a 25k mi tire.
  A heavy rider. Usually get about 7-8 k out of a radial sport touring tire.
I have a truck/van commercial tire (Vanagon type, Vredestein Comtrac  tire ) on the stock 16" wheel. Rode it to the Mt Shasta rally a few years ago and still has only 1k mi on it. It has the potential of much more mileage. Maybe I am saving it for a four corner ride around the USA?

danodemotoman said:
Larry_Buck_FL said:
What is the typical life of a car tire on the Connie?  TIA.

Larry,

I have put on 15-20k mi on a few and not worn to the wear bars yet using a 15" wheel from the ZL. So it may be a 25k mi tire.
  A heavy rider. Usually get about 7-8 k out of a radial sport touring tire.
I have a truck/van commercial tire (Vanagon type, Vredestein Comtrac  tire ) on the stock 16" wheel. Rode it to the Mt Shasta rally a few years ago and still has only 1k mi on it. It has the potential of much more mileage. Maybe I am saving it for a four corner ride around the USA?

Would you head south first?

Nice video, he at least double dark sided, tubeless tire on a spoked rim and non symmetrical tread pattern on that tire. I've thought about dark siding if I were to do a cross country primarily stabbing trip in the past.