• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Forum Move and Upgrade

colinp386

I am going to post this here which I appreciate is incorrect, but wanted to make sure everyone sees it!

I am planning to move this forum to a new Server either tonight (Sunday Night) or on Monday.

The new server is hosted at a new service provider which I expect to provide a better quality of service and performance. However that's NOT Guaranteed!  ??? 
Due to this my plan is as follows (this is important!)

• I will backup this server and put it in maintenance mode so you will not be able to use it.
  • I will restore the backup onto the new server, and make sure all looks to be running ok
  • Once all is well I will put a link on the current forum/server to the new one.
    If all goes well the Forum will only be down for a couple of hours. Perhaps less.
  • The upgraded forum will run on the new server for a week or so on a Temporary domain while we make sure the new service provider is solid and they deliver the performance we need.
  • If all is well I'll switch the domains over, if not I'll upgrade the current server and switch back.
The new server is already loaded with the latest version of SMF software and we have installed a Media Gallery and a Wiki Style Section.
Both these 2 areas will take more moderation and management, please be patient with us while we "figure it all out"

Media Gallery
This will allow members to post images, video's and Audio files for storage and display.

COG Wiki
This will potentially replace our current Tech Section on Cog-Online.org and allow select users to create and edit the content, and I hope any user post a discussion on.

Video
Ability to easily embed video from YouTube etc into a post.
<Update> Looks like we have to turn this off, there seems to be a security risk.

I'm looking forward to rolling this all out to y'all!

Colin.
PS I'm sorry to say that the spell checking feature is not working on the new server. However I hope to get that fixed at some point. I am working on it! 

So far as I can tell all is well. :-X
<edit>spoke to soon, I had to go back and re-do the database upgrade.

The new Media library is up and running, but please don't use it till we figure out the rules and assign a moderator.
The embedding of video from external sites does work see the following post.

I have not re-installed the Wiki yet. WillP or I will do that tomorrow.

I will also change the links on the cog-online.org  and concours.org websites tomorrow. <Done>

If all looks good by next Friday I'll swap the domain over on Sunday/Monday.

I'm off to bed!

Go ahead and play, please report here any issues you have.

Many Thanks!

Colin

I believe, if i understand the info correctly, the domain name, zg1000, is only temporary until we confrm the new host, the "person" letting us use their high speed gadgetry, is up to par.  At that time, the domain name will return to cog-online.o r g.   

But....if i also understand correctly, we really cant chat about anything becuase when we switch back, anything new will be deleted?

WillyP said:
Clinton said:
I believe, if i understand the info correctly, the domain name, zg1000, is only temporary until we confrm the new host, the "person" letting us use their high speed gadgetry, is up to par.  At that time, the domain name will return to cog-online.o r g.   

But....if i also understand correctly, we really cant chat about anything becuase when we switch back, anything new will be deleted?

No, that was just a test of this server, now we are here to stay. But if you had bookmarked any threads, you will have to change the bookmark to reflect the new domain.

For example, http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,27119.msg108776/topicseen.html#msg108776
Becomes: http://forum.zg1000.org/index.php/topic,27119.msg108776/topicseen.html#msg108776

I would wait changing any bookmarks, as the forum domain will change again once the new hosting is stabilized.

Clinton said:

Correct on the domain switching back to forum.cog-online.

Incorrect that if we do we will loose posts!
In the UNLIKELY event we need to switch back, I would upgrade the old server to 2.0 add the new features that you find here and then restore all the latest posts etc.  :beerchug:

kawcon14rider said:
Looks like we have some uninvited guests in the forum rules section. Hello Kitty and heterogeneous?

Yes I had not re-installed the integration plugin with memberize correctly so it was allowing the "general public" ie those that don't have Connies to register LoL  :))

This is now fixed. I removed the offending 5 new "spam" members that got in. Sorry about that!

Ok I am off to do my day job now.

There is an intermittent issue with the cache.
You may get an error message like this:

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required
'/nfs/c09/h03/mnt/133072/domains/forum.zg1000.org/html/cache/data_7d07cd92e1f4bce8d5a37262895a8e9e-
SMF-modSettings.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.2.17/share/pear') in /nfs/c09/h03/mnt/133072/domains/forum.zg1000.org/html/Sources/Load.php on line 2712

simply refresh  with F5 or however you like to refresh/reload the page and all should be fine.
I'm trying to figure out what this is about.

The good news is the server is way faster than the old one.

Colin

Colin said:
Clinton said:

Correct on the domain switching back to forum.cog-online.

Incorrect that if we do we will loose posts!
In the UNLIKELY event we need to switch back, I would upgrade the old server to 2.0 add the new features that you find here and then restore all the latest posts etc.  :beerchug:

Cheers indeed Colin!  Thanks for all the hard work!!

Yep, I got that error message... I was gonna email it to you but figured I'd check for some kinda notice...  ^-^

gPink said:
Since the site name is now zg1000 are you kicking us C14 guys out?
Parasites.

ER... I mean PAIR O SITES... didja see Colin is now taking care of a pair of sites with out OUR forum on em.  That boy is nuts.

Good job Colin.  Reckon we'll let those C-14 guys hang with us a little longer, eh?  :nananana:
After all, they ARE the more prevalent posters these days... kinda makes me feel old for some reason.
EDIT TO CORRECT SPELLING.... HMMmmmmmm!

Thanks all;

And a special thanks to Rev for his infectious humor!  :rotflmao:

Still got a number of minor issues to resolve, but for sure the performance is better!  :)
There is a bit of a delay in getting the wiki up, please be patient.

Cheers

Colin

Colin said:
There is a bit of a delay in getting the wiki up, please be patient.
TMI!!! TMI!!!
Oh wiki.... I thought Colin was using one of those cute little brit words for his..umm...never mind  :rotflmao:

Colin said:
There is an intermittent issue with the cache.
You may get an error message like this:

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required
'/nfs/c09/h03/mnt/133072/domains/forum.zg1000.org/html/cache/data_7d07cd92e1f4bce8d5a37262895a8e9e-
SMF-modSettings.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.2.17/share/pear') in /nfs/c09/h03/mnt/133072/domains/forum.zg1000.org/html/Sources/Load.php on line 2712

Has anyone seen this type of error in the last 24 hours?
Basically the whole window is replaced with this message, but if you refresh the page all is fine.
I think its simply a matter of the cache being re-built and the problem has now largely gone away.
However if a number of you are still seeing it I need to know.

I very pleased with the overall performance of the new server and plan to swap over to the forum.cog-online.org domain.

Thanks!

Colin

Yes, that page has shown itself to me a few times in the past day or so. I have NOT seen it today.

Rev Ryder said:
Yes, that page has shown itself to me a few times in the past day or so. I have NOT seen it today.

I got it this morning (early) a few times. But this is the first thread I've read since then, so we'll see. It hasn't been too bad at all.

I had one of those errors today.  It was about 5 yesterday.

I also feel that twice now when I click on a new to me thread it only showed me the original post and not all the replies.  I have my posts listing from newest to oldest opposite of the default.  When I click on a thread I should see the newest post not the original post at the beginning.  It may have only NOT switched the order and I just failed to notice.  I will keep an eye out.

Dang!

Thanks all, it clearly is NOT going away.  :(

when this happens please email or PM me the text of the error message you get at least for the next 24 hours.
So I can see if I can figure out any commonality.

I'll get it fixed but have a feeling it may not be easy.

Ta

CP

And now another one after clicking on the thread "Russell seat orders" in the industry members section. PM to follow.

And now another one immediately following that one clicking on the main forum menu. That's three this morning in a few minutes. PM to follow.

Cap'n Bob said:
And now another one immediately following that one clicking on the main forum menu. That's three this morning in a few minutes. PM to follow.

Got another one posting this post!  :))  OK, enough for me. This is too much like work, PMing Colin with all of these.  :)

Warning: require(/nfs/c09/h03/mnt/133072/domains/forum.zg1000.org/html/cache/data_e43df03b97899fb677025fb741cad56d-SMF-modSettings.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /nfs/c09/h03/mnt/133072/domains/forum.zg1000.org/html/Sources/Load.php on line 2712

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/nfs/c09/h03/mnt/133072/domains/forum.zg1000.org/html/cache/data_e43df03b97899fb677025fb741cad56d-SMF-modSettings.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.2.17/share/pear') in /nfs/c09/h03/mnt/133072/domains/forum.zg1000.org/html/Sources/Load.php on line 2712

Now the order of posting is all screwed up.  I have it set to put most recent at top, but it's putting the first post at top, most recent under that (sometimes), and then it appears to be jumbled after that. WIERD stuff here Colin.

Rev Ryder said:
Now the order of posting is all screwed up.  I have it set to put most recent at top, but it's putting the first post at top, most recent under that (sometimes), and then it appears to be jumbled after that. WIERD stuff here Colin.

When I changed settings to show most recent at top I got same result as Rev.

I'm getting used to it now.  The postings aren't jumbled, just the first on top and then it's most recent down from that.  It's OK, just different from what I'm used to.

Ok I have enough of the error messages now, I think I have a "reasonable" idea whats causing this.
No need to send me any more PM's of the error messages.

Many Thanks

ALL BEING WELL THE FORUM WILL MOVE BACK TO

FORUM.COG-ONLINE.ORG

LATER TODAY

The forum will be down and in maintenance mode while I make the switch
Don't be alarmed or get your panties in a twist  :D

Normal, nay upgraded service will resume as soon as possible, likely within 1 hour.
I don't know when this will happen, but you will know it when you can't login.  :rotflmao:

Colin

Well it's back home again and looks to be working.

I need to go eat breakfast now!

Go play and let me know of any issues

Colin

Had me worried for a sec, there, I hit the link for here and got the page telling me to go there, when I went there it said the forum was moved back here, but when I came back here the temporary redirect was still here, telling me to go there. Eventually I thought to hit ctrl-f5, then the forum appeared.

I'd give you one of these  :beerchug: but the first page I went to gave me an error... So I am giving you one of these instead:  :-[

Back to work, Colin!

Please change the RED link to the forum on the cogmos main web page back to the correct forum address.  I am not sure why I use that link so much but I do.

Mia Culpa!

So sorry, I totally forgot about that one!

Fixed now.

Re the Spell checker, that's somewhat out of my control.
The new hosting provider does not install the libraries for aspell which is the main engine behind the spell checker.
They have said they will "try" and enable it, but I am leery that they will.

TO be honest your best be is to switch to Chrome or Firefox where it's built into the browser.
This is way, way better than using a server-side plugin as it works for ALL websites and you can have your own custom dictionary and you simply right click on the misspell'd words (underlined in red) and pick the correct spelling.

There are spell-check plugins for the Microsoft Explorer as well

I do have the IEspell but missed the button next to the post, review buttons.  I can live without it I guess.