• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Frame Brace Saga looks like it will be resolved

mcgyver74

Ok some of you may remember from the other forum that last year I was installing my cruise control and snapped off the front bolt of the right hand frame brace..

I took it to a mechanic to have it fixed and he promptly broke an easy out in it (*GRRRR)  so it's still locked in place but not correct, I've just been riding like that since it's not really a major issue (I don't push the bike that hard where the frame flex would be noticed)

Well, I was just re-watching Fred's videos and I just realized that the place where the bolt is broken, is on the right side engine mount brace....So I figure I can just replace that rather then coil/tap etc..  but then I figured it would be EXTREMELY expensive since it's a mount from Mama K,  so just for poops and giggles I went onto Ronayers and looked... 33 BUCKS!  I ordered it and the 2 bolts I need to change it (the one that broke, and one extra just in case!)

Hopefully this should be resolved in a week or 2! (Excited!!!)

profiles_MontyBurns_1534_853888_media.jpeg

Only a year later? Well almost.  :)

But I'm glad it's finally going to be fixed. I thought you had it fixed last fall. But I remember the broken EZ out episode.

Glad to hear the videos were helpful. Sometimes (rarely) I'm pleasantly surprised by the price on parts from Kawasaki. Glad to hear it was a cheap and easy fix.

Yeah, I was surprised, I was expecting it to be 200 bucks for a piece of metal.

One question,  when I remove bolts that have been red loctited into place, what should I use to clean the threads before re-installing as I think that is what got me in the first place.. *(The bolt threaded in about 3/4 of the way easy then got TIGHT and snapped)

Mad River Marc said:
Yeah, I was surprised, I was expecting it to be 200 bucks for a piece of metal.

One question,  when I remove bolts that have been red loctited into place, what should I use to clean the threads before re-installing as I think that is what got me in the first place.. *(The bolt threaded in about 3/4 of the way easy then got TIGHT and snapped)

I'd probably use a wire brush of some sort to break up and loosen the thread-lock followed by some alcohol and a rag. I spoke to Kawasaki about the frame brace bolts and why they tell you to replace them. I was told that they are not stretch-to-yield bolts, but they want you to replace them simply cause the new bolts come with the thread-lock agent already applied to them. I suspect you would be fine reusing them with some low strength thread lock on them. I think Vibra-tite might actually be a better thing to use on them than thread lock.

Red is suppose to be for more permanent applications. The blue would be more in line for parts that you will need to remove from time to time.

I use a tap and die set to clean threads. Find the appropriate size, and with some lube, clean the gunk right out. Just be careful not to cut different threads.

Harbor Freight to the rescue I guess...

Just need to figure out how to know which one I need (What size/diameter etc)

Mad River Marc said:
So should I use red or blue Vibratite (Or loctite if I can't find vibratite)?

This is what I use. It isn't a thread lock, but instead puts a rubber like coating on the threads that prevents them from vibrating loose.

http://www.vibra-tite.com/vc3.html

Be careful when selecting thread lock strength by color. Some brands make the high strength thread lock in Blue and other brands make it in Red. So you can't judge strength by color, you have to read the label.

Typically, I try to avoid the high strength stuff cause you have to use heat to remove it. I'd rather use the lowest strength I can so I can more easily remove the bolt later if I need to.

Mad River Marc said:
No, I mean the pitch and diameter...I don't want to risk cutting threads, just chasing out the red stuff :(

Did I miss something? Didn't you say you had the bolt? The tap you need should match the bolt.

I have the new bolt for the front of the brace where it bolts to the new engine mount, the rear is still on the frame and needs to be cleaned