• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Froggtoggs Rain Suit......good, bad, indifferent?

zekegiesecke

Tricycle
Last weekend there was a motorcycle show at the Boise Fairgrounds, so I went. While I was wandering around the show, I found a table that was selling rainsuits. I tried one on, and it fit and seemed to be decent quality, but I'd never heard of the brand before. Have any of you out there ever heard of Froggtoggs brand rain gear? Or have any experience with it?

Great lightweight rain gear. The best part is it is breathable from the inside out so you don't sweat. My old pvc rain gear kept the rain out but made me sweat so bad that I got soaked anyway. Froggtoggs has worked great for me & packs up small  :beerchug:

I have the Road Toads.  They hold up well until you hit a long down pour, then I wished I'd bought better the first time.  Water pools in your crotch after riding across a state (or two) in the rain and will saturate through the Road Toads and will do a great job of making it look like you pissed your pants when you hop off.  Plus its gets real cold down there when it happens. :eek: 

Gary is right, they pack up small, do a decent job and I keep them in my saddle back, but for any real touring, buy heavier.  Don't forget boot gators if you are venturing far from home.  My boots are waterproof for about an hour.  Boot gators make ALL the difference. 

Besides, I get so smug riding past the packs of HD's sitting under the overpass's like shivering stray dogs trying to wait the showers out.  :nananana:  Plastic, its expensive AND functional! :))

my frog toggs have worked terrific.  I did an iron butt ride down to alabama a few months back and was in heavy rain for at least half of the trip.  other than dampness in the crotch, I was fine.  I've been in lesser storms where even the crotch is not a problem. 

by the way....if you happen to run beads on your seat, it's an added bonus because it keeps your butt off the vinyl and water will flow away, and dry quicker too once the rain stops.

No experience with the Frogg toggs but I would recommend that you get one designed for motorcycle riding. You want to be able to get in and out of the rain suit with minimal effort, for example you want to be able to put the rain pants on with out taking your boots off. Also, moto designed rain suites have reflective piping which helps with you be more visible to others especially in inclement weather.

We don't use a rain suit anymore as we both wear KLIM gear, which is water proof, no stopping, just ride right through any rain. Plus it reduces the amount of gear on the bike. Prior to the KLIM, our jackets and over pants had zip in rain liners. The zip in rain liners were a pain when you were on the road, having to take your gear off in the rain and zip it in. We moved to rain suits, Tourmaster Defender, but they were hot and had an issue getting them over our boots.

Looking at the Frogg Togg Road Toads, they hit all my major issues and would try them if I was in the market.

MotoCommuter said:
....Prior to the KLIM, our jackets and over pants had zip in rain liners. The zip in rain liners were a pain when you were on the road, having to take your gear off in the rain and zip it in. We moved to rain suits, Tourmaster Defender, but they were hot and had an issue getting them over our boots.

Good point!  Denise and I had the same issue when we bought our mesh suits which had the zip in liners.  Why on earth would they design something that made you stop, take off your entire suit, zip in liners, then put it all back on?  :-[ :-[ :-[

One additional thought on the road toad version.  it's got a fold-over approach to zippers which helps with water intrusion in those places.

I been using Frogg Toggs for teaching MSF classes in the rain for over a decade. Works ok. I wear a 'stich Darien when riding. Never gotten soaked.

Nearly 2 decades ago while on tour with a friend who used Frogg Togg, we were in heavy rain and he got soaked. Rain leaked in from around the neck,  crotch, zipper, and where the jacket rides up in the back exposing pant top. The latter was solved by wearing wader type Frogg Togg bottoms. 

What I learned prior to that trip was that by the time I stopped and put on whatever rain gear, I was already wet. My decision was to make the investment into quality, waterproof riding gear. After getting the 'stich and using it exclusively when traveling, I've never had to make the decision of when to put on rain gear, and have never gotten soaked. The added bonus is that I am ATGATT.

I wasn't aware that Frogg Toggs had different quality levels.  I guess I tried the sucky lower end a long time ago.  The operative word being sucky.  :mad:

I think I'll give the higher end a look.  Plenty of thumbs up here on the board.  And I agree completely with the statement that the pants have to be able to go on with your boots still on.

:iagree: I also used the Frogg Toggs for MSF class instruction. They work well in that capacity. I also wear either an Aerostitch Roadcrafter or Darien for riding.  Wearing an Aerostitch (or Klim or Motoport) means never having to stop to put on rain gear. :great:

My new Frogg Toggs Kikker II jacket.  Very impressed with the construction.  Two layers, neoprene cuffs.  I'll definitely let ya know if they disappoint me.
They have two models above this one, Highway Toadz, and Pilot Frogg Cruiser.

At a Foogg Togg dealer they  told me the secret to putting on the pants over your boots was to put your boot in the carry bag and then slide it into the pant leg. That way your heal doesn't get caught in the material. Then switch to the other foot and repeat.

Thanks for all the information. It definitely seems to be a good brand. I'm a little curious about the model, though. The suit came with stuff bag and heat resistant patch kit. The model is called Hogg Togg, and has zippers in the pants legs that go up to the knee to make getting the pants on over boots fairly simple. The sleeves are lime green, the body is black, and the suit has reflective piping and a silver reflective strip across the back of the jacket. My only concern is that this model isn't listed on the Frogg Togg website, so I'm figuring that it's either discontinued or a brand new model that's not on the website yet. Or worse yet, like almost everything else nowdays, the fine print on the label says "Made in China". So now I'm wondering if this is possibly a pirated copy of a real Frogg Toggs suit.

Southern Idaho is classified as a high desert climate, so we don't get a huge amount of rain here, but we do get enough that I think having a rain suit is a good idea. Now that I've learned a little about Frogg Toggs, I'm curious to see how well this one will work in the wet.

I bought a Olympia jacket, you can zip thebrain liner inside or it is big enough to pull over the outer jacket,so I was told, havent experienced rain yet with it.

Flat-spot said:
My new Frogg Toggs Kikker II jacket.  Very impressed with the construction.  Two layers, neoprene cuffs.  I'll definitely let ya know if they disappoint me.
They have two models above this one, Highway Toadz, and Pilot Frogg Cruiser.

Put it on and go stand in the shower. Can't wait for rain to get a review! ;D

Seriously, looking for gear and FT's seem to be highly rated. They are having a sale now but don't know what models.

Mcfly said:
I have the Frogg Togg "Pilot" Cruiser gear.  STUPID DRY gear... rode through 45 minutes of Flow-ri-duh downpour,
and the only thing wet was my gloves (mesh).  The cheap stuff won't hold up....  My gear was about $200 on sale,
so it ain't cheap, but it works great...

http://www.motomonster.com/shopping/item/4663297/search-frogg-toggs-pilot-frogg-cruiser-jacket

http://www.motomonster.com/shopping/item/4663301/search-frogg-toggs-pilot-frogg-road-pants

Hey Mcfly,
Are you gonna be at THE NAT.?  I would like to check out that top-o-the-line "PILOT" model.  :great:
I really wanted to order that one but $$$ dictated the "KIKKER" jacket.  I hope it serves me well.
Two layers and much better construction than the basic models cause it to pack a little bulkier but that won't bother me if I stay dry.

I am jealous of people that can wear waterproof riding gear year-round (so they don't have to stop to put on rain gear). I wish I could.
I've owned enough different kinds of jackets to know that for me, personally, when it gets above 80 degrees I need a full mesh jacket or
I will end up WET inside the coat. It doesn't matter how many zip-vents it has.  You see, I am a sweat monster....a sweat machine....a
fat boy sweat furnace. My internal thermostat runs HIGH. Even before I gained this weight.
When I come to Helen in June, I won't even bring my Fall-Winter-Spring 3/4 jacket. I will have a very light Polarfleece liner (that likely won't be needed),  mesh riding gear, and the rain suit. Those 3 layers cover a very wide temp. range for me.
"Moonshine lunch run" was cold and wet.  STeater and I stayed dry and warm, but he was amazed at how few layers I needed under the
rain suit. And thank goodness Frogg Toggs breathe well. It was mostly light/misty rain on that trip so my cheapy Toggs did OK. They are now retired since my new ones arrived when we got home.
I'm telling this story so that riders who swear by their waterproof gear, can maybe understand why a few of us just can't do that in Summer.
Oh, and about those "rain liners" that zip into mesh jackets....I tried mine for a 20 minute ride....it went straight into the trash can.

The guy just does not get cold! It's crazy. I think if he wore something a normal person can wear in the warmer climates, he would absolutely melt. He is a Frogg Togg type of person. Freak  :rotflmao:

Flat-spot said:
Hey Mcfly,
Are you gonna be at THE NAT.?  I would like to check out that top-o-the-line "PILOT" model.  :great:
I really wanted to order that one but $$$ dictated the "KIKKER" jacket.  I hope it serves me well.
Two layers and much better construction than the basic models cause it to pack a little bulkier but that won't bother me if I stay dry.

The powers that be will not approve vacation time until the last minute... so I'll be camping... and leaving the bike packed
the weekend before, hoping the time off is approved.  I WANT TO GO.... really, really bad.    :truce:

The "Pilot" Cruiser Gear is not made of your typical "Frogg Togg" material.  I think it's pretty well thought out gear,
with neoprene lined wrists in the sleeves, stirrups in the pants, zip up legs for easy in/out, a double lined leg opening
and heat shields inside each lower leg.  (Lower price models might melt... )
You'll stay dry, and as cool as can be expected in Flow-ri-duh summer heat....  (though usually I opt to just get wet  ;D)