• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Front End Suspended Weight

ianz5150

Bicycle
I'm wondering what the front end suspended weight would be approximately without rider. Has anyone ever put a scale under the front wheel or know a formula? Thanks.

Well I did my best to get my bathroom scale under my front tire.  Couldn't get it to go all the way.  I got about 130 lbs.  I don't consider that accurate by any means.  So since I braved the cold and risked messing with my bad back that has been threatening me lately, I'm going to ask why you want to know this and when you're gonna get a scale and check yours to compare with mine?  Waiting patiently for your concise response.  ;)  Welcome to COG!

Hi Bud,

I'm thinking it would be more close to half of the overall weight of the bike. I thought somebody may have weighed it out before and had the data at hand. I certainly appreciate the effort put in to help!

I'm wondering because I want to possibly buy a gantry lift gate to suspend the front end in the air.

If you get something that could lift 300# or more, it should be plenty strong..
  I haven't weighed, but assume the weight is distributed approx. 60/40.
  If so, the front would be around 250#.

Ride safe, Ted

Why not get a lift that will lift the whole bike. That way you can do
front end, back end or whole bike. You will be able to do both
tires at once.

Unless your intending to also use the lift for automotive engine pulls etc, suspending a bike is not my favorite way to do maintenance.
For the price of a lift, you could get a Harbor freight bench that raises the bike to eye level, and use a jack front or rear..
Their often on sale and many of us have them.

Ride safe, Ted

Well, I don't own one but there has been one in my garage for a pretty good while.  It is a complete game changer when working on a bike.  You might see them as low as $279, but $299 is more common.  You won't regret getting a lift!
68892_I.jpg

If you buy at HF, do not commit the cardinal sin of NOT having a 20 to 25% off coupon with you. 

Those coupons are everywhere and could knock the price down to $240 (from $299) or lower.

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah, I'm looking at the Japanese brand "Unit" C1010 lift gate. It will support up to about 380 pounds for $60.

I'm just thinking of different options for doing some work to the bike. If I go with the Harbor Freight lift, which center jack is recommended?

Ianz5150 said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah, I'm looking at the Japanese brand "Unit" C1010 lift gate. It will support up to about 380 pounds for $60.

I'm just thinking of different options for doing some work to the bike. If I go with the Harbor Freight lift, which center jack is recommended?
You can't do a center lift, nor do you need to if you get the HF lift.  It's not advisable to lift in the center because of the exhaust system.  You won't regret the HF lift.

I recently purchased an older style HF lift.
To raise the rear of my bike, I lift at the axle with a hydraulic jack, and put the center stand down.
This allows any work I want to do on the rear of the bike.

I have not lifted the front while on the HF lift {because of the front clamp I have on the wheel}
  I'll eventually learn how to do it.
To do the front for now, {Off the lift}I put the bike on the center stand and place a scissors jack under the headers and lift the front slightly.
This allows any work I want to do on the front of the bike.

Ride safe, Ted

Bud said:
Ianz5150 said:
Bud said:
Is it my imagination or is your avatar trying to look like Buckethead?

It is indeed Buckethead! :beerchug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVCOKbYKQm8
I was front row center at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in 2011 when he played there.  Great show.  Very loud!

Yeah, I've seen Buckethead about 10 times now. He's back on tour in March again. I will catch him in Santa Cruz probably in June or July. I'm not sre if he's posted dates out that far yet.

Bud said:
Well, I don't own one but there has been one in my garage for a pretty good while.  It is a complete game changer when working on a bike.  You might see them as low as $279, but $299 is more common.  You won't regret getting a lift!
68892_I.jpg
Can you push the lift around with the motorcycle secured to it in the down position?

oldsmoboat said:
Bud said:
68892_I.jpg
Can you push the lift around with the motorcycle secured to it in the down position?

While the directions do not say you can, it indirectly states, "lower load completely before attempting to move".  Which can
be intrepetted as YES you can move it about with the bike lowered on the lift.  The wheels are small, and only one end swivels,
so it's not a free wheelin experience.  I try not to move mine at all with the bike on.

I've got carpet in my garage, so that's not happening.  Even if I didn't, besides being difficult to the point of hurting myself, it's begging for disaster to happen.  It's not that hard to ride the bike on and off if you pull the seat.

I also have carpet in my shop, and I move mine around when I need to.
I place the end of a crowbar under the stand/frame and pull up/over.
Moves it a bit at a time (in steps) with no problem.

NOTE: My bike is secured to my stand with turnbuckles.
          A turnbuckle set up is relatively EZ to build for use on the bench and assures that the bike can not fall over..

Ride safe, Ted

Us po' folk don't have wall to wall cut pile.  My Connie lives on a motorcycle 'dolly' that
makes moving the bike into it's tight parking spot VERY easy.  A one car garage isn't user
friendly, so you improvise, adapt.  Now moving the bike around is much easier.

I thought about getting the lift for a multi tasker dolly/lift, but only 2 swivel wheels and
No side stand support made it defunct.  That would've been nice though.

The carpet in mine is old (reused) office carpet.
It is dirty, etc. and I replace it occasionally.
      (ie; When I find some more old {free} carpet and/or spill to much oil).
The carpet makes standing on the cement floor a lot easier on the back, doesn't sweat in high humidity {I live in hot/humid/Houston}, and it deadens noise.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
The carpet in mine is old (reused) office carpet.
It is dirty, etc. and I replace it occasionally.
      (ie; When I find some more old {free} carpet and/or spill to much oil).
The carpet makes standing on the cement floor a lot easier on the back, doesn't sweat in high humidity {I live in hot/humid/Houston}, and it deadens noise.

Ride safe, Ted
I got ya beat Ted.  MY carpet came out of the Holiday Inn Express in Bedford, Indiana.  So if I take a nap on my garage floor, it's ALMOST like staying at the Holiday Inn Express!! :nananana: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :D