• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

FRONT TIRE CUPING

J21942

Big Wheel
The front tire (OEM) on my 2012 Concours 14 ABS is cuping on the left side with only 4400 miles on the Bridgestone  BTO21.  Any ideas what might be causing this wear??  I brought the bike into the dealer and they haven't heard back yet from Kawasaki.  I am judicious about keeping recommended tire pressure at 42psi.  Appreciate your feedback!!

Joel

'cause the "stones" are C**p. You get lots of opinions here on tire's but most agree the OEM's suck. IMHO PR3's. :)

Mine were the same way...happens on heavier bikes sooner for sure. I believe I read somewhere that the front tire is always swerving (imperceptibly most of the time) even to go straight and that is how it develops over time/miles.

I'm sure some brands are worse than others but seems the 021's are terrible since there was so much tread left at 4000 on mine. Putting the 023's on and hoping they hold up longer, but even my K1200s develops it on 016's and the original Michelins it came with long before their tread wears down.

The fact that I have seen it on both bigger bikes, but not really on my R6 (goes through tires faster though due to more track than street etc) leads me to believe there isn't anything "wrong" with the bikes but more just a fact of life with certain tires/bikes.

Ditto - lots of different "favorite" tire opinions, but a strong majority opinion on the stockers - and it is not positive.

On my 2010, the front was heavily cupped at 4500 miles, and almost bald at 5500. And as I've said elsewhere on this forum, when the front went, it went really fast. I've owned a number of motorcycles over the years, and have replaced many sets of tires, but have never experienced a situation where a tire fell off so dramatically.

The good news, there are GREAT options. I went with the Angel STs, and love them, but others swear by the Michelins. Either way, they'll improve the ride of your C14.

If you are riding mostly local, you are probably fine riding the stockers a bit longer, but my advice, if you are planning a trip of any significance, do yourself a favor and get new shoes.

Old Man on a Connie said:
'cause the "stones" are C**p. You get lots of opinions here on tire's but most agree the OEM's suck. IMHO PR3's. :)

:iagree:

My BT021's were cupped by about 3000 miles and had to be replaced at 4000 miles. 
I replaced it with a BT023.  I have 4000 miles on the BT023 and its still looking good and handling well.
Many folks recommend the PR3's and the AngelST's

BT021 cupped on my 08. went to PR2's and much better on counter steering force, wear, and cornering.

On my 2010 BT023 did not cup but were better than 08/09 OEM. Went to PR-2s, same as my 08 experience.

Replaced my PR2s (~5000 miles , lots of aggresive two up and luggage) with PR3s.

WOW..........confidence inspiring, great wet road performance, and counter steering force required is minimal at 42-44 PSI on both.
I also went with a 190/55 on the rear. Good choice for me for the weight of two up and luggage.

Craig

The OEM Bridgestones are the worst handling tires I have ever had on a motorcycle of mine.  If I had not experienced them myself I would not have believed all the negative comments I've read about them.  Kawasaki should be embarrassed to have put them on such a fine bike.

The PR3's are awesome.

The stock B-stones truly are horrible.  On my '11 they did cup, although not as bad as others I've seen (my Telelever front Beemers were incredibly hard on front tires).  Anyway, I just put a set of Pirelli Angels on the C14.  They totally, totally transform this bike!  The B-stones took high initial effort for turn in, then didn't want to finish the turn.  The last 25% of the turn took significant bar pressure.  Not good.  The Angels make this feel like a 400# sport bike.  Just amazing!  We'll see how they do on mileage and report back.

5.5k on front PR3 so far, no cupping! OEM junk, PR2, pilot power, pilot power2 all cupped on my 14...

2011 concours... 5170 miles.... cleaning the bike yesterday found the front tire starting to cup. Brought it to the dealer to see if they can do something with the warranty. They are looking into it... meanwhile their mechanic recommended to run the tires at about 36psi as when the tires heat up here in florida they will be around the proper pressure. Mechanic said running tires at the recommended 42psi hastens the cupping wear. I am meticulous about keeping the tires at 42psi and have never had this happen on any other bike and I always kept them at the recommended psi. Anyone care to chime in on the 36psi recommendation?

A buddy has 50k on his 09. When I asked if he had a favorite tire for the bike he said he had tried most of the different brands. His observation was that they all started out behaving well, but about midway through their lifespan handling would fall off and abnormal wear patterns would start to appear.

I put nearly 70k on Kawis previous S/T, the ZZR1200. It too would cup the front tires rather quickly until I switched to sportbike tires. They did not last as long, but never had an issue with cupping after the switch. The Concours is a good 100 lbs heavier......and.......I will be riding 2-up much more with this bike so I am in a quandry about using the Mich Powers that worked so well on the ZZR.

Overall, I do believe the weight is what causes the tires to breakdown prematurely.

I would keep the tire pressure at 42 on both tires. I think that is the best way to maintain the tires and get the maximum driveability. Some owners even add a little more pressure....  :motonoises:

Jester said:
2011 concours... 5170 miles.... cleaning the bike yesterday found the front tire starting to cup. Brought it to the dealer to see if they can do something with the warranty. They are looking into it... meanwhile their mechanic recommended to run the tires at about 36psi as when the tires heat up here in florida they will be around the proper pressure. Mechanic said running tires at the recommended 42psi hastens the cupping wear. I am meticulous about keeping the tires at 42psi and have never had this happen on any other bike and I always kept them at the recommended psi. Anyone care to chime in on the 36psi recommendation?
Good luck with the OEM 'stones. Garbage. Just get some good rubber on it ASAP. Amazing upgrade just going to different tires.. Lowering the psi will not help, IMO. I tried mid 30's on a Pilot Road2. Still cupped, Plus it developed a nasty habit of head shake. Always since I run 42 to 44 psi. Never any headshake since, just cupping, until the Road3. Now even wear for mine...

C14 is really hard on front tires.  It is the only bike I know that wears out fronts faster than the rear, darn near 2:1 according to a friend of mine that has put close to 25k miles on his C14 and has gone through several set of tires already.

My OEN 021 front was worn out at 2.2k.  My friend recommended the PR3 and told me they wil transform the way the bike handled.  Boy was he right!

MidlifeCrisis said:
C14 is really hard on front tires.  It is the only bike I know that wears out fronts faster than the rear, darn near 2:1 according to a friend of mine that has put close to 25k miles on his C14 and has gone through several set of tires already.

Huh?

It should be the other way around.  Perhaps your friend should lay off the brakes.

Oh, All tires cup.

MidlifeCrisis said:
C14 is really hard on front tires.  It is the only bike I know that wears out fronts faster than the rear, darn near 2:1 according to a friend of mine that has put close to 25k miles on his C14 and has gone through several set of tires already
Honda's ST1100 was very hard on front tires.  It was also true with the ST1300, but a lot less so.

I know what you mean I down shift a lot and use the brakes little, just like steering the bike I use my weight , not the handle bars as I told my wife,  I drive with my A$$ not the bars. I have always laid the bike low in corners. I hear people say it steers hard? I don't understand ? Light as a feather, flip from one side to the other use your A$$ I mean your weight  :beerchug:

cuda said:
I know what you mean I down shift a lot and use the brakes little, just like steering the bike I use my weight , not the handle bars as I told my wife,  I drive with my A$$ not the bars. I have always laid the bike low in corners. I hear people say it steers hard? I don't understand ? Light as a feather, flip from one side to the other use your A$$ I mean your weight  :beerchug:

Imagine how nice if will ride when you learn how to actually turn it properly.

cablebandit said:
MidlifeCrisis said:

Huh?

It should be the other way around.  Perhaps your friend should lay off the brakes.

Oh, All tires cup.

All tires cup? Really?...
  Ummmm, no they don't sir. Some do, only some. I just changed out a worn smooth on the sides PilotRoad3. The last part of the tread went very fast while on a 900 mile trip this last weekend into So. Utah. It did not cup at all like the PR2s and the oem garbage did. 7,100 miles on this front. The rear PR3 was at 5,900 miles and well into the wear bars.
With my first 'sportbike' the front tire wore fast. Charging into corners. I was scrubbing speed with the front, putting a lot of wear on the front tire. When a rider learns to set his speed before the turn and use a smooth throttle through the apex and drive out on the gas front tires last way longer. Now the rear suffers, but they are bigger and cost more......just say no to cupping...