• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

front turn signal problems

wparvin

Bicycle
I have a 2003 Connie bought used, the left front turn signal is pushing into the fairing but works ok. When I access it thru the pocket I can't tell how the light is anchored to the fairing so I can't secure it, I just have some terry cloth material wadded into a ball keeping it in place but that won't do. There is also an accessory plug (cigarette lighter) bouncing around loose but still wired. The right turn signal was fine until last week, it was acting as a running light & on constantly (the left one does too) & flashing like it should when turning. Now it only comes on when I hit the turn switch, no more running light. I can't get to it from the right pocket. I think I need to pull the shroud where the instruments are but my manual (Clymer) is hard to follow & I know it can be a disater if everything isn't put back in place when reassembled. Anyone have a step by step pictorial showing how it's done? This is when I wish there was a DVD showing how to dismantel the beast.

Bill I think there are a couple of tabs coming off the turn signal that help anchor the signal to the fairing. To really see in there you need to take the screen off and pull the shroud. It sounds like one of the tabs has either broken or the screw holding it in place has backed out. Once you get the fairing pocket panels off and the screen off it's cake to get the shroud off. One screw in the middle is all that is holding it on. You can take the screw out and move it up and out enough to see what is up with the turn signal. '02 Connie COG # 6662 Dallas, Tx

Removal of the inner fairing really isn't that hard. There are 5 screws, 3 of which are inside the fairing pocket(s). Remove the screws and lift the inner fairing from the bottom (there are 2 tabs that slide up under the front cowling) to about a 45* angle and slide it back. Voila! Panel removed. Pay attention to which screw came from where as they are (or should be) different lengths. Suggest that you try to contact a local Cogger to get more info about maintenance procedures. I've yet to find one that wasn't willing to help if possible.