• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Front wheel cleaning stand that works with center stand?

KretonsLC

Is anyone using a front wheel stand that works while the bike is on the center stand so you can clean both wheels easily?

Use a stand that lifts the front under the forks. I have one in New England i don't use anymore. It's yours if you're in the area.

I put a scissors jack under the headers and raise the front-end slightly.

I do the rear wheel first, then raise the front {till the rear tire touches the ground and steadies the bike}, and then I do the front..
Works fine.

Ride safe, Ted

AmphibSailor said:
Of course you can always get Harbor Freights Wheel Cleaning Stand<--Click which can be used on while on the side stand or the center stand.  Be sure to use one of the readily available 20% off coupons towards the price.

Yeah, I saw that item but haven't seen anything confirming it works with the bike on the center stand.  Its instructions don't specifically say how to used it with one either.  BikeTek makes a similar product for a few $ more, and I've got a question into one of their retailers about this.

Looks pretty clear to me;.  The item description says, "... Designed for use while the motorcycle is on its side stand, the cleaning stand can also be used to service motorcycle front wheels while the bike is on its center stand.'  However,  I didn't see it in the instructions, either.  I'm willing to give it a try, though.  I'll let you know.

AmphibSailor said:
Looks pretty clear to me;.  The item description says, "... Designed for use while the motorcycle is on its side stand, the cleaning stand can also be used to service motorcycle front wheels while the bike is on its center stand.'  However,  I didn't see it in the instructions, either.  I'm willing to give it a try, though.  I'll let you know.

Thanks.

AmphibSailor said:

Looks fine for the intended purposes, but using a center stand only... won't work on "sidestand" unless you "block it up to vertical".. then it is teter-totter...

Only complaints are from Harley Bagger riders... trying to clean the rear wheel, using a side stand and leening it over... any fool would know that just ain't gonna work... brapppp brappppp..... :nananana: :nananana: :-[
the instructions are pretty clear on that point... "using the tool instruction #4" s'plains that.. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-X

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/98000-98999/98800.pdf

I've got a Log, that I cut to the correct length, I use when the bike is on the center stand, I lift the front wheel, shove the log under the oil pan, and spin the wheel or take it off with no issues. Primitive, but free... :rotflmao: :great: :great:

I have the Harbor Freight stand. I don't use it unless there is someone to secure the bike (on centerstand) while I rotate the front tire; a bit unnerving to use solo as the bike wobbles a bit too much for my comfort zone. Also it is a bit tricky to get the bike on the centerstand and position the front wheel in the stand. If I could go back in time I would not buy it.

I've done a lot of bike work with all my Connie's on the Center stand; Once it's up, I ALWAYS use a tie down strap, like an Anchra, or similar, and hook one end to the left lower leg on the stand, wrap the strap forward and across the lower front of the fairing, and attach the other hook to the other side leg on the stand; and "snug" the strap... this prevents it from tipping backwards and collapsing the stand...
then you can just lift the tire and shove the roller, or whatever, under the tire. from the front.

Texas Concours14 said:
I have the Harbor Freight stand. I don't use it unless there is someone to secure the bike (on centerstand) while I rotate the front tire; a bit unnerving to use solo as the bike wobbles a bit too much for my comfort zone. Also it is a bit tricky to get the bike on the centerstand and position the front wheel in the stand. If I could go back in time I would not buy it.

That's what I was afraid of, but good to know.  Will probably just get a fork-type stand instead.  One my concerns is where I wash my bike, which since my driveway slopes I do at the foot of it where it meets the street . . . which in turn has a slight downhill slope.  As I think on it, the larger footprint of a proper front wheel stand might be the way to go.

Dang - after watching a vid of a front stand, it doesn't appear they'll work with a motorcycle's center stand because the lifting pulls the bike forward. 

Kreton'sLC said:
Dang - after watching a vid of a front stand, it doesn't appear they'll work with a motorcycle's center stand because the lifting pulls the bike forward.

mmmm..
everytime i put my bike on my lift, and place it on the centerstand... mine move rearwards... out of contact with the front tire "stop", and also requires the location of the front tire "clamps" associated, to be rear of the center line of the front tire, prior to Putting it on the center stand...
Pull the bike up till the tire touches a wall, and then center stand it... it move backwards. like 4 inches.

I just clean the rear wheel, then put a 50lb bag of sand on the pillion seat and clean the front wheel. 🍻🏍

Boomer said:
I just clean the rear wheel, then put a 50lb bag of sand on the pillion seat and clean the front wheel. 🍻🏍

done that a jillion times myself.. couple 25# cast iron weights worked well also, sitting on the rack, or in the trunk.

Thanks for all the great tips guys!  Think I'll try the old weighting the back end idea Boomer and MOB have done, since as I mentioned, I'm kinda concerned about the lack of a flat surface to use a front wheel stand on anyway.  And the deltoids will get a good workout carrying the weighting items to the end of the driveway  :great:

Bob said:
Putting the wife on the pillion seat works also, but she gets restless real quick.

"Accidentally" spray her with the water hose as you rinse the wheel off.
The water will cure her restlessness "quickly".
  But, you'd better be ready to run...
                        :104:

Ride safe, Ted

For washing I also use my floor jack to elevate the front off the ground enough to rotate it for cleaning.  When I remove the front wheel to replace bearings or tires, I made a stand with some 2x4s that are as wide as the front forks, tall enough to place the rear wheel on the ground for stability and with notches in the top that allow the bottom of the forks to rest securely in them.
Have fun!

Gilbysan

I just put the bike on it’s center stand, then have my wife sit on the back of the seat for the few minutes it takes to clean the front wheel! Doesn’t cost me a dime!

A few weeks back I finally discovered it's easy to lift up the front wheel enough to turn it even without weight on the back end. I always just assumed it'd be like deadlifting a few hundred pounds, so never attempted it. 

Texas Concours14 said:

image_21243.jpg

I have this 'stand' and it works fine. I don't understand the difficulty that TC speaks of above. I place my bike on the center stand and then I place my forearm under the front end (beneath headlight assembly) and lift the front tire whilst shoving the stand under the front tire, all by myself. The placement of the stand under the tire is important. It needs to be 'squared up' so that when the tire is rotated it turns freely with no binding. Be sure that the tire contacts both rollers!

Conrad said:
Texas Concours14 said:

image_21243.jpg

I have this 'stand' and it works fine. I don't understand the difficulty that TC speaks of above. I place my bike on the center stand and then I place my forearm under the front end (beneath headlight assembly) and lift the front tire whilst shoving the stand under the front tire, all by myself. The placement of the stand under the tire is important. It needs to be 'squared up' so that when the tire is rotated it turns freely with no binding. Be sure that the tire contacts both rollers!

I think I'll give it a try.  While rotating the front wheel is possible with the bike on the center stand, it's enough of a PITA to make the HF stand worth a go.

I place a small jack under the headers and elevate the front a bit. The same way I do to remove the front wheel for a tire change.

Ditto GPD,

Good ole jack under the header.  I built a spacer block to compensate for the slight elevation difference in the headers where I place the jack, other than that it works just fine.  If I don't want to remove the front fender to remove the wheel, I remove the rear wheel so I can elevate the bike front enough to clear the fender. 

Looks like NW minds in addition to be water logged at times think alike!

Cheers!

Gilbysan