• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

fuel mileage

I suppose it depends on the kind of riding I'm doing. Typically on a daily commute when I get someone in the vicinity of 222-225 I hit reserve or About 38 MPH. On the 2 lane I have gone further something like 245 -260 before reserve or about 43 MPH. Funny thing is when I fill the tank I can't get past about 5.8 gallons.

Funny thing is when I fill the tank I can't get past about 5.8 gallons.
Do you leave the bike on the side stand, or put it on the center stand when filling up? I put it on the center stand, and I put in 6.0 gal when I fill, up within a 1mi of hitting reserve. -- Most I ever put in is 6.9? gal. Most I have heard of is 7.3 gal. 2003 Concours, 61K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

As mentioned depends on riding style, 1 up, 2 up, gear, etc. Daily Commute 254mi to reserve. 254 - 2.3% odo error = 248mi / 6.0 gal = 41.3 mpg. Just did a 1175mi trip for memorial weekend. 40.5 was the worst tank, 44.2 for the best tank. Riding conditions, speed, etc are all factors. 2003 Concours, 61K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Hmmm, the center stand Ah so desu ka. Makes sense. Thanks for the tip. The center stand is a whole new subject and a skill I have not mastered by myself.

Sad, but the center stand on the Connie really is a skill to be mastered. It should never be this hard. And believe it or not, there are many other M/C's that are bigger and heavier than the Connie and much easier to get on the center stand. My technique is to use the legs. Right foot on the stand, left foot on the ground, left hand on the handle bars, and right hand on the handle. This all goes without saying. To me the trick is body position so you can drive straight down with the right leg, while lifting with the hand. Mostly drive straight down with the leg. And I mean drive. I dont strain that hard with the lifting part. 2003 Concours, 61K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I've seen the video on Youtube but still struggle. I think it is the fear of failing and dropping the bike that haunts me. Thanks for the tip, will try again. Anybody ever entertain the idea of a clinic on the center stand or am I one of the few who haven't mastered it in the NW?

To get it up on center stand i have cut a small piece or 2X4 put down infront of rear tire roll up on it and put center stand down very ez . I tryed without and cant do it ether have to get wife to pull back when together lol :)

block of wood is what I use also but I refuse to carry on the road with me. Gotta get some center stand skills.

Dude, Too bad you didn't say something a the Bun Cooler. There would have been several of us showing you the best way to do it wrong. It isn't too bad unless the bags are full. The big thing is to make sure both feet of the stand are on the ground before you even attempt it. Left hand on the left Bar,I either hold in the clutch or take it out of gear, right hand on the lift handle under the seat. Lift with the right hand while pushing down on the center stand with the right foot. Pull back gently with the left as she comes up and you got her.. Try it in "stable" gravel a couple of times to get the feel of it. Just make sure that the base under the gravel is level. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

If I don't get the hang of it by the end of July I'll ask for demos at the NW Regional in Enterprise.

I have an app on my phone that keeps track. My normal ride is short (10 miles) and I get 38-39mpg. I hit reserve at about 230 miles. The most gas I've ever put in is 7.27Gal, and that was after pushing it the last 100 yards to the station. I don't normally get off the bike to fuel up.. I just stand with both feet. I"m guessing there is some variation from bike to bike... but you'll probably be close.

1992 model daily commute mostly turnpike 70 to 85 mph (just keeping up with traffic in Florida)...36.8 gpm.

I've been consistently getting 49 and 50 mpg on my '06 riding unloaded at moderate speeds. (I'm only 165 pounds) I'm about to take a trip, and am waiting to see how she does loaded.

I have an 86 that I put 70 miles round trip on daily mostly highway 70mph ish speeds I end up getting between 36.2 and 37.8 mpg out of her right now. Thats with myself and both side boxes full of things for work.

Just got home from a 2100 mile trip from cent. cal to four corners, two up with top case,tank bag and side cases loaded, trip av.= 38.9 mpg.Lots of 70+ and 5000 to over 8000 feet if that makes any diff.Had to use a lit more throttle going up to north rim grand canyon- 8900 ft. Tony