• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Full suit or riding jeans and jacket?

rico2072

Well, I have a Joe Rocket Survivor all weather suit, and I also have a Alpinestar Space Drystar jacket (very and warm and waterproof too) and slider jeans. I am planning a trip next august that will take me (hopefully) from below see level (Death Valley) to 14k feet above. End of Aug, most of Sept. Well, it looks like I can only take one, do to space....so I'll be selling the other for some extra funds for this trip. So, what I want to know is, What are the pros and cons of each choice.

Also, I always wear Alpinestar SMX boots to ride, but will be looking for something to ride comfortable and walk around and maybe a little hiking too. Any suggestions?

I've always preferred two pieces to one.  for one they fit better overall (becuase you can buy each piece to fit properly).  but also because there's flexibility to wearing each piece.  with a one-piece, it's all or nothing.

having something waterproof is a plus to stopping to put on rain gear.  I'll never again ride in a pair of boots that's not waterproof.

:popcorn:

Just sayin' Death Valley in August is not a place you wanna be. That being said I've done it in my 'stich with a cooling vest and survived. You wanna be zipped up tight and keep your moisture inside with little dips of your cuffs into the wind stream for some cooling effect. Carry lotsa a water and stay hydrated. Use the early morning for travel and seek shelter before noon. Air flow on your skin can be your enemy as it dehydrates you rapidly. Lemme know when you pass through.

Sport Rider said:
I've always preferred two pieces to one.  for one they fit better overall (becuase you can buy each piece to fit properly).  but also because there's flexibility to wearing each piece.  with a one-piece, it's all or nothing.

having something waterproof is a plus to stopping to put on rain gear.  I'll never again ride in a pair of boots that's not waterproof.

:popcorn:

I'd say just the opposite.  I've had two piece gear over the years and was gifted a Motowear one piece.  I've worn it out over the last 15 years and now in an Aerostich one piece.  Best suit (Stich) I've ever had as far as comfort, convenience, protection.    The two piece gear always seemed compromised and bulky with the overlaps, which was uncomfortable and hot.  Air flow through a one piece is much better as there are no restrictions through the midsection.  Also, when stopped, just unzip and get out of your suit to cool down if needed. 
If you want good gear, it won't be cheap.  I've been through dozens of cheap stuff and none of it has been good.

Hey Rico. For boots, try Tour Kings by Gearne. Made in Italy. Sizing available in the U.S. is limited, however. (none fit me :'( )

Also, a stocking dealer is tough to find, will probably have to deal with mail order. They run just under two bills.

I've settled on Tourmaster Solution boots. Light, comfy walking, allegedly waterproof, two year warranty including for waterproofness. I did have to change out a pair on warranty, quite easy. Purchased at The Helmet Shop up in Daytona. Call ahead and they will make sure to have your estimated sizes in stock for trial before purchase. They were also quite helpful in working out the warranty claim as I was time crunched for a trip coming up. Will run about $125. Good, knowledgeable folks to deal with.

SteveJ. said:
Hey Rico. For boots, try Tour Kings by Gearne. Made in Italy. Sizing available in the U.S. is limited, however. (none fit me :'( )

Also, a stocking dealer is tough to find, will probably have to deal with mail order. They run just under two bills.

I've settled on Tourmaster Solution boots. Light, comfy walking, allegedly waterproof, two year warranty including for waterproofness. I did have to change out a pair on warranty, quite easy. Purchased at The Helmet Shop up in Daytona. Call ahead and they will make sure to have your estimated sizes in stock for trial before purchase. They were also quite helpful in working out the warranty claim as I was time crunched for a trip coming up. Will run about $125. Good, knowledgeable folks to deal with.

I'm thinking of a one piece as well but it's not as convenient for commuting. You still have to take your boots off to slip the whole thing on and off.

For touring the one piece seems like a good idea but for commuting I wear a per of kevlar jeans and a jacket.

I'm on my third two piece aerostich Roadcrafter all the convenience of the one piece with the benefit of using just the jacket for rainwear/coldwear at a rally or for a quick run somewhere with riding jeans.  IMHO they are worth every penny! :great:

I prefer multiple gear. I have a 3-1 tour master jacket  and tour master pants, really like both. They are waterproof with removable liners and vents. I also have a purely mesh jacket and Kevlar reinforced jeans that I really really like.
Boots I use forma waterproof boots(a bit hot) and some gortex hiking boots.
Mark

Old Man on a Connie said:
Just sayin' Death Valley in August is not a place you wanna be. That being said I've done it in my 'stich with a cooling vest and survived. You wanna be zipped up tight and keep your moisture inside with little dips of your cuffs into the wind stream for some cooling effect. Carry lotsa a water and stay hydrated. Use the early morning for travel and seek shelter before noon. Air flow on your skin can be your enemy as it dehydrates you rapidly. Lemme know when you pass through.

Thanks for the info!

Sorry for the late response everyone. Life got hectic.

Rico said:

Thanks for the info!

Dude, That's not late, That's archeological  :) :) :beerchug: Hope life mellowed and your trip is still being planned.  :great:

Sailor_chic said:
cra-z1000 said:
I think about getting a roadcrafter often but it would be a pain for restroom breaks .

Spoken from a man's perspective

Can't even imagine!  :truce:  I think if I was a gal I would just wear a diaper.

Rico said:

Thanks for the info!

Dude, That's not late, That's archeological  :) :) :beerchug: Hope life mellowed and your trip is still being planned.  :great:

Yeah, life got really busy, but since I have bought a 2010 Concours from a COG member and also joined COG. Still deciding if I'm towing the R1 and doing the SW trip, or leave from here on the Concours. Plan on leaving some time between the last week of July and first week of August....take a month off.

Sailor_chic said:
cra-z1000 said:
I think about getting a roadcrafter often but it would be a pain for restroom breaks .

Spoken from a man's perspective
^^ Ha Haa! so true  :beerchug: The counterweight can get out of her stich in 60 seconds flat when Ma nature calls. 2 zippers. The really funny part is she leaves her helmet on and I get to listen through the sena while I'm gassing the bike. I usually say Hey, watchya doin? about halfway through.  :)) :))