• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Galfer ABS kit front lines length

andydude

Those of you that installed the Galfer ABS SS brake line kit for the Gen 2 , how did you deal with the excess lenght in the front lines ?

I have the stock lines on my bike.
I had a 2" riser with a 1/2" riser/set back and that was about the max rise/pullback I could go without adding length.
The pullbacks came with instructions on how to route the stock lines and included the instructions to remove the clamps.

Bottom line; Unless you do extreme amount of lift/pullback the stock length will do ok.

NOTE:
Before you do this, consider if you're a cross country rider or a twisty rider.
The Cross-Country folks would probably prefer the height/pullback.
But the Twisty folks need to shift their weight forward in the twisties and the height/pullback can be a detriment.

ie; I later discovered that the bike handled better in the twisties and was more comfortable for me without all of the extra height/pullback.
I now have only a 1 1/4" riser and considering reducing that amount of rise.

Ride safe, Ted

I have the stock lines on my bike.
I had a 2" riser with a 1/2" riser/set back and that was about the max rise/pullback I could go without adding length.
The pullbacks came with instructions on how to route the stock lines and included the instructions to remove the clamps.

Bottom line; Unless you do extreme amount of lift/pullback the stock length will do ok.

NOTE:
Before you do this, consider if you're a cross country rider or a twisty rider.
The Cross-Country folks would probably prefer the height/pullback.
But the Twisty folks need to shift their weight forward in the twisties and the height/pullback can be a detriment.

ie; I later discovered that the bike handled better in the twisties and was more comfortable for me without all of the extra height/pullback.
I now have only a 1 1/4" riser and considering reducing that amount of rise.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks for your input Ted, the lines in question are the front caliper lines to the junction block. The line going to the along the bars to the master cylinder is a different one, no issues with that one. I did finish installation , you have to be careful not to get the extra lenght caught up in the steering lock blocks.

I've had the kit for my 2011 C14 for a couple years now and never got around to doing the install. Other than the excess length, did you find the installation process "difficult"??
Did you change out the clutch & rear brake line as well??????

I've had the kit for my 2011 C14 for a couple years now and never got around to doing the install. Other than the excess length, did you find the installation process "difficult"??
Did you change out the clutch & rear brake line as well??????
It's the ABS full kit from Galfer which is 11 lines including rear brake and clutch for the Gen 2. The installation is not that bad, 3 short lines connecting to the ABS pump being the worst because of access.