• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gas Tank Cap Noise

warmongor

Big Wheel
I've noticed that the gas cap makes a low whistling noise after I've been riding a bit and everything is good and hot. When I stop and open the cap it makes a "whoosh" sound. Fuel flow doesn't stop or anything like that. I'm just wondering if this is normal or an indication of a vent clog somewhere. I've checked the vent hose at the back of the tank and it's not clogged. Not sure if there are any other vents though. Thanks

Normal. I have even notice in the hot summer days that if I open the garage door and the sun is shining in, it will start whistling and I dont even have to ride it. 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Yup - it is normal. Some say it whistles because it does not know the words. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Most of my bikes have done it. My C10 did it. My Mean Streak and my C14 will do it to an extent. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

My 86, a CA model, did not make the whistling sound as I recall but my 49 state 2001 does. The CA bikes allow vapor from the tank and carburetor float bowls to collect in a charcoal canister. On the 49 state bikes, the gas cap vents excess pressure to the atmosphere which is far better than rupturing the gas tank or "venting" through the petcock and into the carbs. This is the source of the whistling - the more volatile parts of your expensive fuel load vanishing.

Yep -- I noticed the same thing this weekend from my gas cap, whoosh and all. And yes, this was sitting in the sun, on a 95-degree afternoon. Eric

I tried to teach mine some of the more popular tunes from the 50's and 60's with no joy. Anyone had any luck in this area?

Don, the closest I could come was the intro to "Splish Splash". Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z