• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

gel gloves

scooter

Mini Bike
anybody use these? i like to ride with finger less gloves and was thinking the gel gloves might be a nice upgrade. what brands are best and where are you guys getting them? thanks for any input

Of course they work...but I would go with non-gel personally - I found it didn't really make any difference but costed more.  I use Grip Puppies to soften the grips, too.  If that's your goal, just get some good gloves after you put the puppies on - that adds about 1/8-1/4" of foam to the grip, and still allows the heat through during winter.

I never understood "fingerless gloves".  Why do you think the end half of your fingers are less important than your hand?  The will grind down to stumps in a matter of seconds should the unfortunate happen.

Glad you're considering real gloves.  Check out Cycle Gear - they have great deals on gloves - look for mesh/leather combination for summer.  When you buy at CG, they REPLACE the gloves if they rip/tear/etc. for free and without question. I've had several different brands come apart at seams by the wrists, but CG stands behind everything they sell.

I recently bought a pair of the Sedici gloves - and they come with a lifetime warranty for about $40 and they're great.  That's Cycle Gear's own brand along with Bilt.

I agree with RBC, wearing fingerless gloves does not sound very smart to me, if you go down your hands are typically one the first thing to hit pavement, I wouldn't risk it. Use the fingerless gloves for working in the yard, but don't wear them as protection when riding a motorcycle...

i like the feel of them better than regular gloves,thanks for the replys ill look at cycle gear and see what they have.ive never tried gel gloves i thougt they might be better

You might consider a bicycle shop for fingerless gel gloves.  Get something on sale and see if you like them; there are a lot of choices out there.

Fingerless gloves are like Helmetless Helmets, but in this case rarely does anyone other than the rider have to pay for their stupidity.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Fingerless gel gloves were what I wore after hanging gillnet caused a cyst on a tendon at the base one of my fingers.  $30.00 gloves saved a second $BigBucksSurgery.

I only have full-fingered gloves only for riding the bike, including one pair of gel.  They're OK but the gel loses its squish factor after a  season or two. 

On some bikes I've had all that was needed to knock out the vibe in the hand was a small strip of kitchen sponge taped to the hand grip so it filled the hollow of my palm.  The kind with green scotchbrite work well.  Looks funky but works well.

Joe

i would not put gloves and wearing a helmet even close to being in the same ball park.i have never seen any one die from not wearing gloves

scooter said:
i would not put gloves and wearing a helmet even close to being in the same ball park.i have never seen any one die from not wearing gloves

But you have to admit that losing fingers kinda sucks, right?  ;)

RideBellChain said:
scooter said:

But you have to admit that losing fingers kinda sucks, right?  ;)

It's a walk in the park compared with having the seeds of your melon scattered all over the highway...  :-\

Jim said:
When I first bought a sportbike I had to get gel gloves because it hurt my hands, and I've been wearing them ever since. Olympia makes some nice ones: http://www.olympiagloves.com/
+1 

I am now on my second set in 6 years, also they have a mesh type material between the fingers which does seem to help with air flow... 

OK, but if you're gonna put on gloves anyway, why not use ones that will protect your fingers?  Fingerless gloves are like crotchless panties...yep, I went there!  LOL!

RideBellChain said:
OK, but if you're gonna put on gloves anyway, why not use ones that will protect your fingers?  Fingerless gloves are like crotchless panties...yep, I went there!  LOL!

:eek:            :rotflmao:

i do have " real " gloves with the fingers, and i understand the difference in protection. sometimes when its hot i still like to wear gloves rather than no gloves at all so i go fingerless. just thought the gel might be better