• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gerbing Jacket hook up

elektradw

Moped
Have a 2009 Concours and want to add a hookup for my Gerbing jacket. I originally figured on using the cigarette lighter socket but didn't like the idea of the wire draped over the tank. I think it would mess up the paint flopping around in the turbulence. So where under the seat is best. I think Gerbing wants the positive going to the battery but I'm not sure that matters. Thanks in advance
DW
Las Vegas, NV

Due to the current draw, connecting the Gerbing power harness to the battery is the best choice.  I ran mine right out the battery box on the right side. I may spend the time as others did, and run it under the tank to get it to come out on the left side of the bike.

The positive lead should be hooked to the battery and the negative lead should be hooked to either the battery or the point that the battery negative cable connects with the frame (IMHO & you'll need to lift/remove the tank to get to it)  OR, thowing caution and warrantee to the wind, clip the leads and connect it directly to an after market fuseblock like a Fuzeblock.  For the flopping end, I surface mounted female jacks near the glove box but this is not a task for the faint of heart.  If I were doing it again, I'd explore mounting a couple of Powerlet jacks just below the left butt.

Attachments

• Gerbing jacks.jpg
    Gerbing jacks.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 131
You could use the accessory socket if you really wanted to on you 09, or wire it to the accessory wires if you just running running the one Gerbings Jacket. Both the Gerbings Jacket liner and full jacket itself draws 6.4 Amps. Even using gloves only draws another 2.2 amps. That would give you a max total current draw of 8.6 amps from the Gerbings. Since the 2008-09 runs a 10 amp accessory circuits fuse, you could get away with it for a solo rider. (Note: the 2010-11 only run a 5 amp accessory fuse, so hooking up the Gerbings this way is not really an option) This of course probably means that you could probably not hook up anything else to the accessory circuits, if you do hook up the Gerbings to it.
With that said, I agree that wiring the Gerbings harness directly to the battery is the better option. Of course you have to remember to turn off the controller manually. But if gives you the possibility of using the heated gear when the bike is switched off. In the unlikely event of something like a break down or such, you will still have heat while waiting for help. (yes it has happened!)
On the 09, IMO, the best way to run the leads is out the bottom of the battery box. Then bring them out where you prefer to hook up. I personally  connected my harness to the battery with the fuse right under the battery cover for access in the event of a problem (which I never had). I then plugged in an extension cable and ran my cable from the bottom of the battery box, up under the fuel tank. Then I brought it out near the front of the tank and up the left handle bar. I plug in there and clip my controller on my tank bag in front of me. It makes it very convenient for hooking and unhooking from the bike. It also makes it very easy to look down at the controller to make any heating adjustments. Of course this is just my preference, and there are obviously  other places to bring out you plug. It's about what you prefer. Mine does require removing the tank to install the cable. But I also ran other spare farkle wire sets while I had the tank out.

Pull your battery out and attach the + lead to the same post the red battery cable is under on the starter solenoid. The ground can be put under the bolt where the battery grounds on the frame. Run the wire on the left rear corner of the battery box and roll it up under your seat.

Agree that the preferred method is to mount a connector that is strapped directly to the battery. One advantage of this technique is that I can plug my battery tender, as needed, into that very same connector. Convenient.

speedwgn said:
Agree that the preferred method is to mount a connector that is strapped directly to the battery. One advantage of this technique is that I can plug my battery tender, as needed, into that very same connector. Convenient.

I have an adapter made to plug my travel air compressor into the Gerbings harness. It makes like quicker and easier in the event of a flat tire!

Thanks guys for all the great advice. I decided the easiest way to accomplish this is to use the acc. socket on the dash. This bike is 2 weeks new and I'm not real comfortable trying to hook it up to the battery or taking the tank off. Also I could not find a power point under the seat as described in the manual. If it's there I couldn't find it. Anyway I came up with a way to route and velcro the cord so it wouldn't flop around on the tank and I mounted the control on my tank bag. All is good. See you on the road, be sure to say hi.

The rear accessory wires are way in the back of the bike near the tail light. They are under a black boot. But you have to move the computer out of the way to get to the rear black boot (right in front of the tail light). It's really quite easy, when you see it comes out real easy.
Just for information, the front accessory wires are under the left filler panel (under the clutch). Towards the front of the bike is another black boot. The front accessory wires are under there!

elektra said:
Thanks guys for all the great advice. I decided the easiest way to accomplish this is to use the acc. socket on the dash. This bike is 2 weeks new and I'm not real comfortable trying to hook it up to the battery or taking the tank off. Also I could not find a power point under the seat as described in the manual. If it's there I couldn't find it. Anyway I came up with a way to route and velcro the cord so it wouldn't flop around on the tank and I mounted the control on my tank bag. All is good. See you on the road, be sure to say hi.

After going through Fred's pics i was able to locate and expose the rear accessory leads in about 15 min.  As Cap'n said ... it was easy.

I didn't do all that.  I DID hook mine to the battery as discussed. If you slide the battery out of the bike, you can see a hole about 2 inches in diameter on the back side (the side towards the back tire) of the cavity.  I fished the accessory cable through there, and ran mine right up the right side of the bike in the 'crack' where the tank and body panels come together.  The wire is completely hidden.  I ran it under the frame rail and across the seat compartment to the left panel just under the seat.  Took me about an hour to do all the fishing and drilling for the powerlet on the the left side.  Looks pretty factory.  I posted pics on the other site, but can't get my fingers on them now.

PM me and I can send them to you if you are interested. It's not really that tough.