• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gerbing's rechargable S2 gloves

Mad River Marc said:
Interesting,  I wonder how long the batteries last before needing recharge

For batt life it lists the following on that link.

Approximate battery capacity per charge
100% 2 hours
75% 3 hours
50% 5 hours
25% 10 hours

I'm just looking for a little extra warmth for the hands in sub 30 temps commuting in the winter, I already have heated grips, hand wings, and Klim snow mobile gloves, but I still wish my hands were a little warmer on those chili mornings...

I know a hard wired option will be better, but also know it involves quite a bit more for connections and wire routing etc for just gloves...

For what it's worth, IMO: Don't waste your money on battery powered gear. Although they may work, they tend to cost more and have limitations that I do not want to chance. So IMO, just buy a pair of the normal Gerbings plug in heated gloves. (and maybe a jacket liner to use with them) They (the gloves) are less expensive to start with. Then you also do not have to deal with the idea of batteries running down. If you ride in the cold, you will probably want more energy draw for heat. Having a cord eliminates worrying about not having enough power if some unforeseen problem delays you.
  As to the plug in gloves and gear. I live in the North East and found the lighter G3 gloves to be less than needed at times. So they were always maxed out to "try" to keep warm in the cold wind. I sold them and went to the heavier T5 gloves. IMO, they are much better since they are heavier. Thus they stay much warmer and require less current draw to keep them warm. But being heavier, they also do not move quite as freely as the G3 gloves. But they are much warmer in the cold.
  Of course this is just my opinion. Maybe the battery powered gloves work fine. But I can't see how they could ever work as good as the plug in gear. And it's better to be prepared with the gear and not need it, than need it and not have it. (my 4 wheel drive and air conditioning argument).  :)

Ya, I have no doubt Cap'n that a completely wired pair would be better and put out more heat, my dilemma though is I really don't want to have to add a jacket liner to manage the connection (vs having dangling cords with the Y option which seems like it would always get in the way?) and then also have to add the dual controller etc... If I go down that road the $200 gloves then become $500 glove setup right?

Keep in mind I'm only talking about the really cold 30 minute commutes to work in the winter, the ride home is always quite a bit warmer and my heated grips do the trick for that.

What are your thoughts on these 12V hybrid gloves? Then I could even just use my powerlet port on my Heli risers to power em in a pinch if need be??

http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/hybridGlove.php#

http://www.powerlet.com/product/powerlet-low-profile-to-coax-female/520

If you get your core temperature up with an electric jacket liner you might not need electric gloves.  I have been riding for 15 years with a liner and heated grips on various bikes in temps down to 25 comfortably.  Getting the core temp up makes everything warmer.

To be quite honest I think for what you want, I would get some hippo hands and add them to the heated grips.

I have hippo hands that I use when riding the little Ninja 250 on the cold mornings.  They are designed for the C10 and I could use them there too if I wanted. The hippo hands add about 12-15 degrees to the outside air temp. Meaning that if it were 30* outside with hippo hands, your fingers will be about as warm as 42* without hippo hands. I think you'll find that 42-45 the heated gloves work great. -- So just adding the hippo hands will get you there.

I also have the Gerbing setup as well. G3 gloves and a vest. I use all the time. Myself I like the heated gear better. And I dont mind time to plug it all infor the warmth I get.  I have heated grips on the Connie and the Hippo hands. I could easily do this arrangement for the hands. But since I would still want the vest and I am going to plug in anyways, I find doing the gloves and vest the setup I like the best. And I think it works the best.

Having said that, being you only mention wanting the fingers to be a bit warmer, cost is a factor, I would consider the hippo hands option.

Slybones said:
Having said that, being you only mention wanting the fingers to be a bit warmer, cost is a factor, I would consider the hippo hands option.

Can you post a link or some pics of the hippo hands for the C14?

just kruse'n said:
If you get your core temperature up with an electric jacket liner you might not need electric gloves.  I have been riding for 15 years with a liner and heated grips on various bikes in temps down to 25 comfortably.  Getting the core temp up makes everything warmer.

My core is not getting too cold, I have a heated Corbin seat and Alpinestars Drystar gear that keeps me plenty warm, I'm just looking for some additional heat for my fingers.

http://www.hippohands.com/Kawasaki%20Concours.htm

Their site has some pics on a C14 and  a C10 both.

Note in the pics they only show the HH hands being mounted up front in typica use. I found on the Ninja 250 this allowed them to move around to much and they didnt stay in place as well as I hoped when putting the hands in and out. I also found the angle my arm went up from the bars to the shoulder pushed them around some. Of course the little 250 is a bit small. 

In anycase I placed a small hole in the side of the hippo hands and remove the bar end bolt. Installed the hippo hands and then reinstalled the bar end bolt holding them in place. This works great for the little 250. Plan first so you get the right location. Have not heard about people doing this on the Connie. Just mentioning...

.. Ignore the sewing/seam in this pic. I tried a different solution before bolting them down. This is where I stitched them back up. The original sewing quality was lots better.

IMGP6818.JPG

Thanks for the pics SB, much appreciated.  :beerchug:

I'm not sure if those would work for me though because I have gadgets mounted on my bars (radar detector etc) which it looks like these cover the entire bars/reservoirs etc...