• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Get ready for World Super Bike, 2012 edition!

krumgrinder

Street Cruiser
It's almost here!  :whoo:

Next weekend marks the start of the new season for WSBK with the Philips Island race down under.  Checa looks poised to make a run for back to back championships, but surprise Kawasaki contender Tom Sykes has finished right behind him on all three testing days!  After that, we wait until April 1st for the next race, and then of course MotoGP will start the following weekend.  Speedtv.com has a good compilation of the different series, schedules, riders, etc.  Mark your calendars and set your dvr's!  :motonoises:

moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/wsbk-final-countdown-to-12-kickoff/

I'm really looking forward to the start of WSBK & MotoGP. Checa looks good again
but your right about Tom Sykes sticking right with him. I sure hope those Kawasaki
Superbikes stay in the mix this year. Bummer that Hopkins is going to miss the first
race this year but they are saying he will be back for round two at Imola.

dvr is ready to go so let's get it started already  :motonoises:

Here's a comparison of WSBK vs. MotoGP that's interesting.  The data are a bit old and the new MotoGP bikes will be 1000, but things probably won't be too much different.

Fastest lap times
MotoGP 2008 Qatar - C. Stoner 1:55:153
WSBK 2009 Qatar - B. Spies 1:59:041

MotoGP 2008 Valencia - C. Stoner 1:32:582
WSBK 2009 Valencia - B. Spies 1:34:618

MotoGP 2008 Assen TT - C. Stoner 1: 36:738
WSBK 2008 Assen TT - T. Bayliss 1:39:562

Top speed
MotoGP 2008 Qatar - M. Melandri 334.4
WSBK 2009 Qatar - T. Corser 318.0

MotoGP 2008 Valencia - M. Melandri 311.1
WSBK 2009 Valencia -R. Laconi 320.8

MotoGP 2008 Assen TT - C. Stoner 295.6
WSBK 2008 Assen TT - G. Lavilla 282.3

I am so ready for the 'off season' to be over.
I sure would like to see the WSB, MotoGP, and AMA dump the electronic rider aids so the bikes would be more sideways in and out of the turns. Make the rider's talents and skills a much bigger part of the show without traction control. Like the good ole days of the 500 2 strokes and when super bikes were 'SUPER'. Too much of a controlled parade anymore.

Too bad that a number of riders have already injured themselves. It should be an interesting new season with all of the changes.

I hope that Moto3 turns out to be as competitive as Moto2 has. I wasn't sure I would ever enjoy any substitute for the 250GP bikes, but I have changed my mind.

Melandri should be interesting on the Beemer!  Yes, I know that Haslam broke his leg - anybody remember his dad on the Elf???

elf_roc_00.JPG

This is the last year for WSB at Miller's, so we better enjoy it. The open grandstand seating last year was a great change. I wish Miller's would renew the contract with WSB, I guess it could happen, but without the attendance numbers going up it's not likely... The stupid snow, rain and 40 degree weather last year didn't help at all....