• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

givi rack

mtc1966

Moped
what a pain in the A## to put on the bike real crappy instructions . its real sturdy once its on but be forewarned plastic has to come off and as stated the direction SUCK  :mad: 

Should have used these.  http://web.mac.com/ke.martin/iWeb/MassCOG/Tips%20&%20Things_files/SR410%20Supplemental%20Instructions.pdf

Yeah I know, smart ass answer (sorry), however they did help me. The supplemental instructions aren't
perfect either, IIRC the #12 bolts referred to are NOT 12mm but it's not a biggy. I should have taken the bolts with me instead of the size.
I actually had more trouble putting on a radiator guard than I did the Givi rack.

I must agree that the Givi instructions suck. Imagine how bad they'd be without pictures.  :17:

Agree 100% - terribly frustrating instructions, really have to study the poor quality image reproductions and pretty much reverse engineer what the parts might look like installed.  Advice to myself - do not do it again.  When I thought my bike was headed to a lemon law issue, my biggest concern was having to deal with that friggin Givi rack again.  Next time, Phil's Rack, hands down. My bad for finding out about Phil's Rack after installing the Givi, which is nice when it is DONE, after wasting four hours of my life.  At least I was able to enjoy a brew or two and a cigar while staring at the instructions. Phil's Rack might have been a half a bottle of water.

Gary i just don't know if i i fully trust the Phil's rack as i load my trunk up when i travel. i debated back and forth before going with the givi just for the extra support .but what i thought would be a 15 minute install became 3hrs of putting parts on taking parts off again trying to figure it out. and when the bolts have thread lock on them already that just increases the fun.

I installed the E55 this weekend also.  What a chore.  I totally agree.... the instructions and photo examples fell short in a few KEY areas.  Big kick in the head for me was the support plates that ran under the grab handles.  And installing that darn allen head down thru the support and plastic was a nightmare.    But all is done now and it looks pretty sturdy to me.  True test comes at the end of the month when we leave for the Grand Canyon.   

Mtc1966 - Well, since we both have the rack installed, the support is a non-issue for us.  After the fact, discovered Phil's rack and discussions in both forums, if I correctly recall, indicated the support is adequate for most loads (I have 46L case).  But next time I will definitely use Phil's piece of art and functionality.  I saw a post where someone had four screws left over for after the Givi install.  I bet they are the four screws that install under the Kawi plat into the Givi plate securing the Givi plate.  I initially had those screws sitting awhile on the workbench...what the heck?  Finally deciphered the wonderful illustration and figured it out.  Those would be somewhat important.....

And Tex is right, those were fun little bolts to install through the bodywork, dropping one would be fun to find as it rattles through the bodywork.  The grab handle bolts for the rear support where challenging to get out and new ones even more fun to insert, nothing like removing and installing a bolt 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time.  Seems the bolt heads are just thiiisss much over size and a straight shot in the hole they are not, and a socket is not in the cards....open end wrench each frustrating partial turn.  Finally had to leave one of the shorter Kawi bolts in place and just used permanent Loctite.

Oh well, it is a done deed.....but would really advise against the Givi rack for those reading this in spring 2012 with your new C14 or whatever Kawi introduces for 2012, until you have done sufficient diligence on the install process.

I've been there, done that.....Very frustrating to say the least!
I too load my trunk up when I travel, so the extra support was "a must-have" for me.

For those researching the installation of the Givi rack, instructions link below on Kevin Martin's website (file size, 414k, is too large for the forum).  This shows '07 as the rack year, pretty much the same for a 2011. Obviously, follow the instructions shipped with the rack for any updates. This is just for a quick over view.  He has some other useful info on his site as well. 

Buon divertimento!

http://web.mac.com/ke.martin/iWeb/MassCOG/Tips%20&%20Things_files/SR410%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf

What a PITA!  I just started, naively thinking this would be a straight up mount job and it looks like it will take me an hour just to orient myself to these pitiful instructions.
One questions straight out of the gate.....Step one mentions removing the original plate and then remounting it upside down, yet NONE of the subsequent pics in the instructions show it mounted this way.  Is this necessary?

Dbvo- the upside down plate puzzled me, too.  After reviewing the images I installed it again right side up.  No idea why the instructions show the upside down mount.

dbvolfan1 said:
What a PITA!  I just started, naively thinking this would be a straight up mount job and it looks like it will take me an hour just to orient myself to these pitiful instructions.
One questions straight out of the gate.....Step one mentions removing the original plate and then remounting it upside down, yet NONE of the subsequent pics in the instructions show it mounted this way.  Is this necessary?

yeah took a while to figure out they mean mount the bolts to the rack from underneath not really the rack upside down.

Givi sound like the Hebi-gebies! 

Look at Schwinn moped trunk P/N C1850BK

Mine was $69.95 and put it on under the influence of several things.