• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GMax GM78 Helmet

EvanJohnson

Tricycle
Looking for a new full face helmet after reading a lot of reports about how much safer they are. I also found a helmet that has a built in LED light on the back. What are your thoughts on this design?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gmax-gm78-helmet-solid

One thing that sold me on this helmet was an option to purchase an electric face shield or even just the double wall. I'm going to be riding in cold weather a lot with my Concours, so this seems smart.

Any other suggestions? Still shopping around.

Try to find a few dealerships that stock LOTS of different helmets and try on as many different brands as you can.  It has been my experience that MOST of the cheaper ones are lacking in comfort and handy/quality features.  It's almost impossible to buy online and get fit right without being very familiar with that brand. Good luck.

I have the modular version of this & love it, High quality & many features only found on helmets costing 3x the money. YES, I said high quality even at this price !!!!!!  :beerchug:

I have this helmet and like it as well. The rear LED light really comes in handy on my early morning commute. One time my tail light burnt out on the bike (not the C14) and it was the only thing people could see that morning.

The face shield is very versatile. Like you I do a lot of cold early morning riding and use the double pane shield to keep the fog away. It works well with my G9X headset as well, it has the pockets for the speakers. talking with people on the phone, there is no problem with wind noise. I've been happy with it.

brent

I hear ya on the fitment Flat-spot. I'll have to head in and try some on soon.

Question about the LED light: any ideas on battery life, and what type of battery does it take? 

decent battery life, obviously depends on how many times you leave it on after you're done riding! lol

I've had mine for two full riding seasons and have replaced it once. Takes normal AA.

Brent

I have a G-Max Modular (54 I think)...  They do support their product, as my
sunscreen slider crapped out, and it only took an e-mail to get replacement parts.
It's my commuter lid, and I'm quite pleased with it for almost 3 years now.

That light on the helmet.... it doesn't last long.  Mine is non-functional, and I don't
really care, because some red 3M reflective tape on the back of the helmet is just
as good, if not better. (No batteries)

Get the bike more conspicuity lighting, not your head.  When you turn your head, the
light isn't visible from behind, nor is clearly visible when headlights hit it (not that bright).

Sorry for the size of pics but my Gmax was the reason I am still here.

I switched from a modular to a full face to get better sound reduction. The helmet was on sale at Iron Pony and I thought I might be getting a cheap POS till I did all the comparisons and read the test and reviews. Bought it and happy I did. Comfy. Did use the lights ad had car stop at country stop signs to tell me they could see it from  distance. Still had plans to put reflective tape on it like my old helmet ( which I will still wear till I can find another deal )  .  My bike left a solid impression in the drivers side door of the car that pulled acfoss the front of me. I woke up 8 days later.

Old helmet

467267_10151160265790098_1990621562_o.jpg

New helmet post crash

IMG_20150204_161241_825.jpg
sx-GHSCWSkGImMNPpdlu0POtUfKmET-IeWOh_Y8DLf8=w833-h607-no
Zqk_k-yoXsL3AFb7Wt6l-nbObgx5uCWcV_1kqpa51As=w823-h607-no

Helmet is good.

Bike Not so much, Body is healing with lots of hardware. Coma and brain bleed with no long term effects. Helmet saved my life. Gmax is fine with me

20141020_105125%281%29.jpeg

I have the 54 modular and am very happy with it other than noise level. I also have the wireless module to make the light work with the brake light and love that also, when in brake light mode it seems to time out and turn off on its own because I never turn it off after riding. Battery life is very good for me I don't think I changed more than twice last season.

My take on them is if it's good enough for the GP guys it's good enough for me.  Shoei, Arai, AGV, and HJC.  Get the best you can afford because your nugget deserves it.

I'm running an RF1200, fit, finish, view, clarity, and aerodynamics are top notch.  I premium helmet to say the least, worth every penny.