• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Good deal on Pirelli Angel ST tires

I'm sitting here getting ready to buy new tires, and trying to come up with a good way to make a decision on best price versus mileage. So just for grins, I decided to do a little math and see if I can calculate the best value.

The Michelin PR3's seem to get a little more miles out of them before needing replacement, but the Pirelli's are cheaper at this price. I've run both tires and the performance out of both brands are very good, though they each do have slightly different handling characteristics, but I could be happy with either one.

So anyway, I'm looking over past records on mileage and I think if I can divide mileage by cost I can come up with a good way to compare them.

I got 5,083 miles out of the last set of Pirelli's I ran, and 6,348 miles out of the last set of PR2's I ran. So lets assume for the purpose of this calculation that the PR3's mileage is about the same as the PR2 for me, since I haven't yet used the PR3.

The cost of the Pirelli's at this sale price of $268 (free shipping) divided by 5,083 miles give me .0527 cents per mile for the cost of the tire.
Or if I divide 5083 miles by $268, I get 18.97 miles per dollar.

If I do the same calculations for the Michelin PR3's at BikeBandit (currently $314 shipped) for 6,348 miles and I get .0495 cents per mile or 20.21 miles per dollar.

So assuming I get at least as many miles out of the PR3 as I did the PR2,s  it looks like even at the higher price the PR3's win the cost per mile calculation. But the difference is pretty small, so in the end, it may come down to which tire I like the handling characteristics best of.

I was going to buy the Continental Road Attack 2's but my dealer sold me a set of PR2's for $240 so I'll try the connies on the connie when the PR2's wear out.

Kinetic1 said:
I was going to buy the Continental Road Attack 2's but my dealer sold me a set of PR2's for $240 so I'll try the connies on the connie when the PR2's wear out.

I wish I could find a set for that price!

Just got my Pirelli's from Competition Accessories. Recieved them 3 days after I ordered :) Just FYI the tires I recieved are very fresh. Date of manufacture is 3811 which is the 2nd week of October 2011. So these tires are about 6 months old. I know some people are concerned that buying tires off the internet for a good price, means they are sitting on a shelf for years. This is not the case with these guys. :beerchug: Got them installed at my local dealer for $30 each which I thought was a very fair price. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow. :motonoises:

not bad Retail Price: $448.43 - $489.61
Our Price: $254.98 - $267.98
You Save: $193.45 - $221.63    but the rear tire is a 190/50 not the 190/55 like everyone wants , now i went back to the 50 and seem to like it , for $267 a set i will like the 50 one more time ,

I just bought a set of PR2's from Competition Accessories:

Michelin Pilot Road 2 Dual Compound Tires - Z-Rated - Package Specials
120/70-17 and 190/50-17 Z-Rated    (MI-2PR-120/70Z17)    (Usually Ships in 1-4 Days)
1 $275.98 $275.98

I was going to get the Pirellis, but reading the reviews on the CA site - everyone claims THOUSANDS of more miles with the Michelins.

I know a lot of this has to do with how you ride, and of course tires that are stickier will wear faster because you twist harder because you know it will handle it...but my other thoughts are that down here in S. FL, the roads are flat and straight, so it's mostly about how the center patch will work.

I'm still sold on Avon because of the Venoms I have on my cruiser, but I don't hear a whole lot of people talking about the Storms or Ultras here on this forum.

I don't normally mind the costs for tires - that's the one critical component between you, your loved ones, and the road, so this is the one thing I will not "skimp" on. 

Glad I found a place that sells all the brands at great costs...I'll try the Pirellis next time maybe.  :)

The reason I went with the Angels is that I heard way too many horror stories about the 2's, and one of my riding buddies who also has a C14 just bought the 3's, and after 2500 miles they are already cupping and wearing kind of strange. He told me he would buy the Angels again next time. I guess everyone has a different experience. :beerchug:

Axexman, I think you made a good choice. But either the PR3 or the Angels are IMO a good choice.

The Angels are IMO, awesome. But they probably won't wear as long as the PR3's. But I can tell you that IMO, the Angels just inspire more confidence and turn in quicker that the PR3's. So I prefer the Angels. But the PR3's are very good. And better in the rain than the angels (that are also good in the rain). So it really comes down to what you want more. A little better wear, or a little better handling. But you won't go wrong with either in my experience.  ;)
  As to the PR2's, my one set of PR2's was a horror story.  :-\    So I can say without a doubt say that I would skip the PR2's and either go with the Angels or straight to the PR3's. But of course that was just my experience and your own experiences may vary.  :p