• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GOOD PRICE ON AVON STORMS

RUBY2012

Just an FYI......I think I really got a good price on Avon Storms for the C-14 from Twisted Throttle see below

AVON.4556117 Tire: Avon Storm 2 Ultra - front. Sport-touring 120/70ZR17 (58W) 1 $146.88 $102.64 $102.64
AVON.4566317 Tire: Avon Storm 2 Ultra - rear. Sport-touring tire 190/50ZR17 (75W) 1 $208.68 $141.68 $141.68

Shipping Method: FedEx Home Delivery
A tracking number will be forwarded to you via email when your order is shipped. Product Total: $244.32
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: * $0.00
Grand Total: $244.32

They are having a clearance deal on Avons  :) I'll be holding them for spring..............

I have had these on my 2005 C-10 and loved them...good grip but only got around 4K out of the rear (and it was not the "new" compound) can anyone here give me an idea what I should expect from these on the C-14? I have had the Angels and liked them but still don't feel the confidence to "tickle the peg"...but I am still getting used to the bike and its' power. Looking forward to trying out all the new tires we can get compared to the C-10. I am like a kid in a candy store!!

Bill I liked them, had 2 sets before trying PR3's. On my third set of PR3's & just not satisfied with the way they wear. Storm 2's to me are better all around than the others I've tried, which are Diablos, PR2's & Roadsmarts. Seems like I'm leaving one out, anyway if scraping the pegs makes you happy the Storms are up to it.
The C14 has a large appetite for tires, at least mine does. So get your wallet ready & your tire changer out!

Cliff  :beerchug:

Cliff, this will be the first set of Avons on my C-14....was going to try the Conti RA2 but just could not pass up that price on the Avons...hope they handle like they did on the C-10. Seeing that you bought 2 sets I guess you are a believer! Thanks for your input and I will let you know how they feel.

Bill

At that price I should have bought 3-4 sets. Maybe those 2 sets will get me thru most of the summer!

Cheap Deals on Tires Beware:

Did you check the date on those tires? Sometimes tires go on sale cause they have been on the shelves long time. There is a live-shelf on motto tires. I forgot what it was, but I do know that old-new tires have the propensity to crack and fall apart on you...seen that before.

I always ask for freshly stocked tires. The date is on the sidewall...I had the 'how to look it up' but it should be easy to find on the web.

Storm 2's have not been around long enough to be out of date. Plus they only last on my bike 2-3 months & sometimes less, so I'm not concerned.

Cliff    :beerchug:

I checked the "born on date" on the avons when they arrived and they were made in 2010.. my buddy said as long as they were stored correctly they will be fine. (they appear to be fine)

Ok, I was'nt gonna say nothing, but perhaps this time is best I do...

When I owned a VTX 1800 guys raved about the Avon. I consulted a 'par excellent expert' on tires I know. He told me Avon were the lowest cheapest quality on the market...so I never got them...At one time, they were splitting in half on guys...

This concept of "stored properly" seems kind of funky. How does one store a tire for 2 years properly? I 'll have to google that one. Did they put it in a controlled temperature room? Cause two years mean that tire sat somewhere for two Summers and Two Winters. Or, did they shelved it on an "improper' environment for a year and once they realize it did not sell they transferred it to the 'proper' environment...uhmm.

That sounds more like a pitch BS from a salesman.

I got grey hair on a motorcycle, I would never put a two year sneaker on my bike...specially a heavy transport like a Connie. And while I am on a roll, I would recommend changing tires a little bit before you need to

Sneakers for a motto is not a place one would want to skimp on money...

O.K. Nando...thanks for the input and I can understand your skepticism. This will be a test of the age of the tire and I will keep you updated. I have used the Avons on my C-10 and never had a problem. Lets see if JUSTCLIFF chimes in..and no,  I do not want to start a debate.

Thanks, Bill

For what it's worth. I store spare tires in my basement. My basement pretty much always stays between 60-70 degrees, year round. And a dehumidifier keeps the humidity in a decent range (when it needs to). So I can see tires being stored for a while without concern. But I guess it depends on how they are stored.

Capbob has a point. But Nando, do you think that living in the southwest were there is very low humidity and lots of heat that you have seen and heard of more tire problems??

I used Avon Venoms on my Valkyrie in the past and they were by far the BEST tire I ever bought for that bike.  I ran Michelins on my ST1100 and they were the worst.  Have purchased Storm II's for the C-14 and will shod the bike as soon as the Axes bite the dust.    :motonoises:

:103:

Now we're cooking.... 
                                                                          Rib-Eye  !!!!!                           

Bill said:
Capbob has a point. But Nando, do you think that living in the southwest were there is very low humidity and lots of heat that you have seen and heard of more tire problems??

The problem with these discussions is that they are mostly anecdotal accounts. Here is one person now (above) who swears by Avon and dismisses Michelins, which are the most highly regarded tire here and in the RT crowd.

When I was VTXing it was same: some guys loved the Avon, some guys had Avons cracked in the middle.

Could it be the person above bought 'old' Michelin and 'new' Avon thus this viceversa experience?

In term of the Southwestern ambiance, I do not have any empirical facts on the deterioration of tire rubbers ( which is what I would need to answer your question). However, my opinion is that I would just never put any old tire on my bike (thats been sitting around on a shelve) regardless of storage circumstances. This opinion is the result of my own experiences, talking with tire experts, and listening to people on forums speak of tires...the latter, I filter really good through common sense and the reliability of the folks making their reports.

While you got my buttons pushed on this subject: I don't really think any tire company makes quality tires for touring motorcycle otherwise they would not go bald after 5K. My bitching on this is that tire manufacturers are perfectly capable of making a much better tire than they are currently making for us...but, as long as we keep buying them, why bother!

"Corporations are people too"....sha-ah! as if! whatevers!

hang tight, pretty soon you 'll get a patriarchal old fart in here defending the tire companies and blaming consumers for abusing the tires in the twisties.

Search any sporttouring bike forum you 'll find guys bitching about the 4-5k life span of their tires.

When I was Windinging, guys were using car tires trying to compensate for the sheetta tires made for the GL.
It was during this time that I relaized that the perfect tire for my Goldwing would be the car-tire I was using, but in the shape of a motorcycle tire. Guys of the Darkside I trust were getting 20k and better grip...the latter I experienced myself riding on a Dunlop car tire. I don't promote cartire cause I dont like their manuverability idiosyncrasies on a bike, but I could not deny the improvement on grip for stopping and on wet road/gravel

So, if a cartire, ill-designed as it is for a motorcycle, last and tours more efficiently than motorcycle tires, that tell me something about the efforts of tire companies in supplying us with efficacious sneakers...$$$$$$$$...the bottom line...they don't make much money from us compared to cagers.

A bike ought to be able to ride cross country without having to include in the travel plans where to stop for new tires...that's ridiculous.

Ok, here is the moral of the story: ALL motorcycle tires are sheeetta

HONEY! can you please don't make this coffee so strong next time!!!!

First of all nando, you've been to the darkside running a car tire on your wing. Then you have balls enough to say you want run a 2 year old tire? Well that just puts your opinion out the door. Off the top of my head I THINK the life a tire is 7 years
The average rider only rides a few thousand miles a year & stores bike for winter. So the average rider could buy a new leftover 2 year old bike, ride for 2 years with stock tires & then factor in that the tires could be a year old when bike was built. Therefore have 5 year old tires!
Out 14 sets of tires on my C14 the Avon's had the highest mileage, with 6 sets being different tires. The PR3's had the best grip.
I will continue to buy tires on sale & store. I'm done here!

Just Cliff said:
First of all nando, you've been to the darkside running a car tire on your wing. Then you have balls enough to say you want run a 2 year old tire? Well that just puts your opinion out the door. Off the top of my head I THINK the life a tire is 7 years
The average rider only rides a few thousand miles a year & stores bike for winter. So the average rider could buy a new leftover 2 year old bike, ride for 2 years with stock tires & then factor in that the tires could be a year old when bike was built. Therefore have 5 year old tires!
Out 14 sets of tires on my C14 the Avon's had the highest mileage, with 6 sets being different tires. The PR3's had the best grip.
I will continue to buy tires on sale & store. I'm done here!

No problemo brother Cliff,

I wish I had the spare money to try a set of Avon now that you put it so strongly...just to see! But like you say: The Gripola trophy belongs to the PR3 and I drive over a rainy mountain just about everyday...grip counts

My pelotas are not related to tire usage. Neither the Cartire nor my disdain for Avon. You might peg me more as a 'maverick' than a 'large-pelotero' when considering my darksiding. I did it cause I wanted to see for myself. Tires on GLs are even more worthless than on Connies.

Ultimately, I did'nt really like cartires. But I can say I did it and I bet you have not; and thus,  have no idea about it; therefore, making judgments about it, but  having no knowledge nor experience. I DID NOT LIKE car tires, but they do grip better than, last longer than, motto tires...its hard to believe yea!

...tis the reason why I was trying to hold my tongue back (often getting me in trouble) I stated it is my OPINION and threw it out as a caveat considering I know several VTXer owners who had failing Avons; and tire-experts have warn me not to buy 'old-stored' tires.

I think I have heard that 7 year time frame before on tire life span you mentioned. Still, I want fresh meat!!

I am kind of anal/paranoid about sneakers, cause that is the 'grip of life' on my bike...I am not cutting $$$ corners by buying on-sale tires.

But hey! if that Avon is working for you great, no problemo....  I am sold of the 'gripological' aspects of the PR3...don't care how long they last...

Long live Avon users!!!! I love you guys!!! :beerchug:

O.K. guys....the Avons' are on with about 200 miles so far....It has been cold here in the Atlanta area recently so I have not hit any good curvy roads yet. Turn in feels better than the Angels so far....will keep you updated.

Bill

I've got to say: I love this forum.  I just read a disagreement that was emotionally defended by two sides and everyone accepted each others ideas with really no childlike behavior!!!  Cudos to you guys!!!

The Goldwing forum that I left before coming here was totally ridiculous and kidergarten BS.  (BTW the very subject was a lot of the childlike behaviour.)

Debate is healthy and good for all of us.  Thanks again.

I personally had much better mileage on the tires on my '06. I replaced the OEMs at 9159 with Avons. They were replaced at 20627 and those lasted until 29016. Then I replaced the rear only at 38841 and the front only at 41335. I had to replace the rear after I had a flat at 43853. Those tires were still good at 51575, which included 1600 miles to and from Birmingham AL, when it was dropped and totaled by the insurance company. Maybe I was using them longer than I should have but they were still performing very well on the roads around Pittsburgh PA where there are twisty roads. I will be adding Avons on my 2011 C14 when the OEMs are gone, because I do not like the Bridgestone tires. I probably will not use the PR3's if they are only getting 4K-5K and cost more. I do not even know who makes them, but they seem to be popular among C14 riders on the Concours Facebook page. I will not use the bias ply tires either.

2011 C14 Rider said:
They were replaced at 20627 and those lasted until 29016. Then I replaced the rear only at 38841 and the front only at 41335. I had to replace the rear after I had a flat at 43853. Those tires were still good at 51575, which included 1600 miles to and from Birmingham AL, but they seem to be popular among C14 riders on the Concours Facebook page. I will not use the bias ply tires either.

:a102:  51,575???? you mean meters or feet?...I never heard of that before in my multi-light years of existence on earth...that is amazing!!!

PR3 are made by Michellin...

Sluggo...I think I got lucky, but not really sure...I just picked FED EX home delivery. Maybe it was a glitch or just part of the promotion.

Dollaetree. have you looked at the age of the Connie Rider??? Yes this is the only forum I have ever participated in and the smarts around here are great. real info, great questions, and noboby gets beat up....thats why  I paid to be a member... now if someone will help with my first vale check on the C-14 I will be greatful.......Kudos to all !!!!

I had a ply separation on a rear Avon Storm 2 180-55ZR17 on Thanksgiving day 2012 north of Gainesville FL on my recently traded FJR.  Had no warning but rear of bike started hopping up and down after getting back on our way after breakfast stop that morning. Found large bulge on rear tire and limped back into downtown to spend night as we were stranded.

Had a PR2 installed the next morning by a local dealer and we were back on the road  :great:  Anyway, tires aren't perfect and Avon sent me a new replacement no questions asked.  Anybody need a new Avon 180? $100

AlanJ

Glad you did not hit the road......I think I went through 8 sets of the Avons on my C-10 with no problems. I still have the set that I put on in January and I really like them (better than the Pirelli Angels) They will be taking me to Suches Ga for the RWTW rally in 14 days and will wear the sides a bunch.  ;D I will inspect them more carefully from now on!