• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GPS / Phone / Music - one device to rule them all?

bmorisette

Big Wheel
^-^
Hi folks,

I haven't been on a bike in 3 or 4 years but I have gotten it in my head that I want to do some serious long distance solo rides. I've pretty much settled on the Connie as it seems like the best bang for the buck and it felt the most natural when sitting on it standing still for my frame (5'9" | 200lbs). Well I'm planning my gear list and I am a complete electronics gadget head and an audiophile to boot. I was planning on getting an Autocom Logic system setup for a GPS / Zune (yes... a Zune) / and my iPhone.

Now here is my actual question - have any of you tried using a single smartphone for all three functions? I was thinking of one of the large screen Android phones (Dell Streak 5 for example) or maybe even a Windows 7 phone (it'll let me keep my Zune subscription). Have any of you folks tried using one device for all three functions? Also if you did do this, how did you waterproof the sucker. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm using a 8.9 asus netbook running windows 7 pro, added wireless through virgin mobile. I use VOIP on the device which allows me to make and receive calls. It has bluetooth so can connect any blurtooth head set. Also I use it as a GPS device by connecting bluetooth gps device. I mostly just go to google maps on the fly since I have internet on the go and don't need the gps, but if needed I have it. I also Stream music and videos. So my touch screen Asus is the Fantastic all in one device. I've been doing this for a year now and totally sold, I have everything.

I can almost get their with a smart phone.  Have SiriusXM, GPS apps running on a grandfathered unlimited data plan but...

Most of us ride to areas where reception goes away so I keep the satellite based GPS.  Carriers are throttling down heavy data users on unlimited plans.  Unless you are touring everyday this won't effect you.  GPS unit screens are built for viewing in different light situations.  Smart phones fall a little short in this area.

I use my Droid X in a Medium Aquabox for all these functions and it works great, paired with my SENA SMH10.  Only issue I had was heat from the Droid, so I cut some windows into the screen on the Aquabox to give it air flow.