• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GPS Wiring Question

captconcours

Training Wheels
Hi All, I just recently purchased a Garmin 660 for my 05 Connie and would like some advise on the best place to connect the unit to the bike. The cradle comes pre-wired so you can hard wire it to the bike in addition to have and audio in and out connection. I don;t expect to use those since the 660 is bluetooth capable. The wires for the cradle came with an in line fuse I just need to figure out where to connect it. Any and all assistance is GREATLY appreciated. :) TIA, John Ashton Ft. Worth, TX COG 6513 AMA 1078826 05 Concours

There is an accessory power connections under the left glove box which are hot all the time. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Hey John, I added one of these to the outside of my battery box on the right side, and run wires from all of my accessories directly to it. If you think you might add other stuff, it's a good, safer way to start. There's a couple of pics here of my RAM mount and Garmin cradle install for my Quest that might help, but they are not specifically of the wiring. As Steve says there is a hot lead under the front left instrument shroud that is a bullet type connector receptacle, one of a pair, that are always on- not such a great thing for items that might drain the battery if left on and you walked away from the bike. Wiring to a fuse box with a relay in series is the best way to go, IMHO. I ran my wires down along the handlebar to the frame ridge and along under the tank to the underseat area, tieing up w/zip ties along the way. Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

And don't forget, our good friend Murph has a power panel with the relay built on (in?) to it. I don't have my GPS run to it, but have a bunch of other stuff going there. I ran mine straight to the battery, but you could tie into the accessory leads under the fairing as Steve mentioned. I leave mine powered all the time when on a trip so I don't have to wait for it to initialize each time I start out. Just remember to turn it off for a long layover! Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I have a follow-up question now that I havae actually gotten around to trying to get the GPS wiring done. I have decided to connect to the hot connections under the seat, the GPS comes with an inline fuse and by putting it under the seat it will be easy to get to if needed. Also in thinking about it I like the idea of the unit staying on when the bike is off, say at a gas station so I can continue to listen to tunes while filling up. If I leave the bike the unit comes with me so I don't anticipate a problem draining the battery. Here is my question, I understand the there are two connectors under the seat, one is hot the other is ground, both will take two bullet connectors, but which is which? I think the blue/white wire is the hot one and the yellow/black is ground but would like some comformation before connecting the unit. I have read this information somewhere I can not remember if it was on the forum of the list server. Any assistance is greatly apprecieated. John Ashton Ft. Worth, TX COG 6513 AMA 1078826 05 Concours