• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GPZ1100 Cross-fit?

coffee_brake

My job is parting out bikes and ATVs and selling the bits on Ebay. I part out a lot of dogs and a few gems. Today I was thrilled to find a '96 GPZ1100 up on the lift. It was taken off the street for top end problems. As in, the entire top end is missing. What wear items are common between this bike and my Connie? This GPZ has only slightly less mileage than my '05 which will be turning 40k this week.

I don't think a whole lot of the bigger stuff. But I'm not an authority on comparing them both. One obvious difference is the the GPZ is 100 cc bigger. So I'm not even sure which motor parts are interchangeable. So I guess I'm not much help at all. Maybe someone more familiar with the old GPZ's will chime in. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

I have never played with this but my understanding is if you go to the kawi site and do a parts fish there is something to click on that shows you what over bikes use the same part. Maybe someone who has done it can speak up. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

What kind of shape is the GPZ in? I'd be interested in buying something like that. I had several Suzuki GS' and Kawasaki KZ1000's and loved them. Great bikes. I don' think anything will swap with the Connie though... David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/inde

Ah, not a good candidate for restoration, the top end was off the motor for some time and it sat out in the weather. But the rest of it is in pretty good shape. I was hoping the J-box would fit but its not the right one. The front end and rotors look the same, though, and these rotors are in better shape than mine...of course the master cylinders and gauge set are very close. So it looks like there's not very much I can use. I may check the alternator and starter and keep them back if they fit. I can work them off at a good discount, is why I was asking if anybody knew anything about it. It's an interesting tear-down, at any rate...I like my job anyway, but I really like this kind of stuff.

My main ride is another Kawasaki flagship, the ZZR1200. It has a 610w alternator and only uses 210w to drive the bike systems, leaving 400w for farkles. I know many on the board have put it on their Connie 10's. It may be the one to go with as it's a bolt-on though I think some of the wiring needs to be beefed up to handle the extra amperage. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/inde

Jen - the engine on the gpz11 95-96 is basically a detuned zx11 engine, with a zrx11 sidedraft head on it. The starter and alt are the same as the connie. ?I think the brakes are bigger, with 4 pots. The ignition is different, so the electronics are different. I'ts actually 55cc larger (2mm) than the connie engine. An enterprising individual cOULD get the gpz bottom end into a connie, but it would mean changing the tranny output shaft and fitting a bevel drive. steve

Thanks for the info, the bike is completely apart now except the bottom end still in the frame. We do have a title for the bike so we'll see if there's any interest in the frame before I put the carcass back on the lift and wrestle it out. I think I must try to keep that alternator for a rainy day, it does fit. Probably rebuild the starter motor when the time comes. I'll check the CDI box numbers and see if the calipers might possibly work too. I think this bike has the same handlebar setup as the Connie. Steve I never saw the head, or the carbs or cylinders. That much was missing. No idea why, since the fairing was in great shape and the tank was too. Really, I felt the con rods were a little sloppy but I'm no mechanic. I wouldn't attempt to shoehorn this motor into a Connie, she's got all the "go" I need! But those brakes...gotta check that out....

The front rotors and calipers will cross-fit from the 95-96 GPZ1100 to the later C-10. So will the starter motor and alternator, front fender, tank bumpers (snagged 'em!), and of course the clutch and brake MC's. If it helps anybody, anyway. And all I needed was a dratted 8mm crush washer to re-use (I'm in a hurry) because I dropped one in the oil bucket. The Connie has an exterior oil line across the water pump housing but the GPZ doesn't!

Jenn: Are you working in Augusta or Washington? Also, I have a started and alternator if needed. If not, then I'll put them up on ebay someday. As for J box, I asked Murph about some relays, as Guy gave all he had to him. I'll keep on that path until I know something one way or the other. tcars John

That was a kick-azz bike in it's day. I'd like to find a minty early-mid 80's one someday to fritz around on...... Tim Lybolt Northeast PA COG# 8798