• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gravel sucks!!! (VIDEO)

Thud300

So a few days after getting my CDA number, this happens..... :-[

Have to back in, gravel drive, just beyond a crest, on a street where I've seen a lot of high speed idiocy. So, got 'im rolling at a good clip, with a new pair of boots with thicker soles... THEN  :eek:

! No longer available

Enjoy my folly.

As much as I feel your pain brother, it was quite entertaining to watch...  I enjoyed the bleeping of the expletives. 

Thanks for sharing! 

Mike - CDA#517

Man, I feel your pain.  Been there on gravel.  My drop doesn't count because I was moving and I'm glad there was no camera.  Still haven't heard the end of it from my wife. 

That was awesome! I got to relieve mine. This thread should be made into a sticky. Glad you and the bike are ok. Like we all say slow motion.

I recently almost lost mine the same way; in my garage!  (Note to self: clean garage floor  :-[)  The backward duck paddle seems to be extree hazardous, and once the big girl starts her descent, she's really hard to stop.

Just a thought for future prevention...  Any chance of doing a semi-circle through the yard so that you are pointed out the driveway when you stop?  Some tracks in the grass are preferable to scratches on the tupperware.

That's certainly taking documentation of the event to new levels.
I can certainly see why you'd want to back into the driveway. 
Sorry for the drop.  :sorry:

Backing in on gravel and on a slope is not good. 

I would have pull-in forward and then turned it around on more level ground.
Or road on the grass around the tree and made a big U turn.

Yes I know it's easy for us to arm-chair what should have been done when we were not there.  ;D
Especially after you said that you had done that many times.

Oh well I'm betting you won't do that again any time soon.

Yeah, the cam was rolling so I thought that was worth sharing. The bike was fine after removing the MC Larry peg lowering brackets, no other visible major damage. Actually its an improved bike after taking those off, go figure. Its the second drop to have something of a silver lining to it.

There is a shallow ditch along the road which prohibits using the small yard to get pointed the right way. The tree sits between two driveways and the neighbor doesn't like tire tracks in his grass. The area is fairly level, except for the ruts in the drive, and I think a contributing factor may have been I wasn't lined up in the rut, missed it backing in so the footing was lower on the left vs. right, and the ground up extra fine gravel was under my left boot.

We live, we learn, we point at the poor dope who dropped his bike and say 'been there done that'  ;D

Maybe sometime I'll do a video review of Canyon Cages  :great:

Attaboy, Thud!

Backing in loose gravel always puts my sphincter at about 9.8 on the pucker meter.  Too easy to go from "all good" to "no hope" faster than Spiderman can react.  Heck, even creeping forward in gravel gives me the skeevies.
That C10 really lies down flat!  My 2012 C14 stayed at about 35 degrees when I dropped it.  You probably had more work to do lifting her up.