• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Great ad from Volkswagon on the danger of mobile phone use while driving

jimp

Sport Tourer
Don't know if you've seen this, but it's a great ad that pointedly brings home the potential danger of using a mobile device while driving. It's been seen by over 28mil people, and should be seen by everyone who has a car and a phone.

from Andrea King at WND.com -
"A Hong Kong movie theater asked its patrons to leave their cellphones ON when they entered the theater auditorium. Why? So unsuspecting moviegoers could watch this shocking Volkswagen ad that brilliantly drives home the point of just how risky it is to use mobile phones when behind the wheel."

Volkswagen - Eyes on the road

Certainly I'm all for safety and this probably got people's attention, but it's so unrealistic (at least for me).  I don't automatically look down at my phone while driving when it goes off.  if anything, I hold it up to eye level so I can keep my eye on the road.  if I do answer it, it goes to speaker phone for hands-free talking.

I'd love to see this in a movie theatre around here though.  I'm sure it would get the point across to be more careful.  It would have been better if it was a text message.  I think that part is even worse.  I've done a few self-experiments and it is by far worse to try texting and driving.  it definitely pulls too much of my attention from the road, no matter where I try to position the phone.  :great:

I wonder how many of them looked at each other and said "what did I miss?".  LOL

Sport Rider said:
Certainly I'm all for safety and this probably got people's attention, but it's so unrealistic (at least for me).  I don't automatically look down at my phone while driving when it goes off.  if anything, I hold it up to eye level so I can keep my eye on the road.  if I do answer it, it goes to speaker phone for hands-free talking.

I'd love to see this in a movie theatre around here though.  I'm sure it would get the point across to be more careful.  It would have been better if it was a text message.  I think that part is even worse.  I've done a few self-experiments and it is by far worse to try texting and driving.  it definitely pulls too much of my attention from the road, no matter where I try to position the phone.

Bite my tongue, don't say it...

It was a text message. Pause the vid at 17 seconds and you'll see the screen of the computer used to send it.

I couldn't tell.  it zipped by too quick.  :truce:

My text message alert is silent on my phone.  it personally would not distract me while driving.  LIke I said though, I have tried it in the past (safely) and found it very difficult to maintain safe driving.  For myself, I quickly learned this is not a good thing!  :eek:

That's a very clever ad experience -- thanks for sharing.

I'm sure everyone's cell use varies, but I pass by plenty of drivers who seem to be talking out loud and simultaneously glancing down at their phones. Not sure if they are keeping them out of sight to comply with hands-free laws, texting or whatever -- but it ain't driving and it's usually accompanied by some lazy drifting around their lane and inability to keep pace with traffic.

Good stuff.

Sport Rider said:
Certainly I'm all for safety and this probably got people's attention, but it's so unrealistic (at least for me). 
You are a very small percentage Dave. Most people are going to look at their phone, and it doesn't even have to ring.

I think this video makes an excellent point, I shall share it with others. Thanks Jim.

Gumby said:
Sport Rider said:
Certainly I'm all for safety and this probably got people's attention, but it's so unrealistic (at least for me). 
You are a very small percentage Dave. Most people are going to look at their phone, and it doesn't even have to ring.

I think this video makes an excellent point, I shall share it with others. Thanks Jim.

I'm just that good!  :rotflmao:

Sport Rider said:
I'd love to see this in a movie theatre around here though.

Notice how the vehicle in the video had right-hand drive?  That sort of mass-broadcast is illegal here in the States.  That's not to say that it doesn't happen, but you're unlikely to see it in either a theater or a video,  Same is true of cellphone damping.

It sure is an effective ad though.

I would vote to have the ad shown to everyone who renews the drivers licence.
Don't much care about the political opinions, or right hand drive.
It's too important not to show to everybody. I hope you never fine out about
how it can impact your life.

Visibility is the key to catch drivers in the act of texting while driving, and an overpass is the perfect vantage point. There are some states that have texting while driving law but the accident in the road because of texting while driving is still on the rise. This is why the Department of Transportation conducts a research regarding the law if it has an influence in the society. Are you trying to sell or purchase a new or used auto? If this describes you, learn more on our websites at Gus Johnson dealer!

RosendoVillines said:
Visibility is the key to catch drivers in the act of texting while driving, and an overpass is the perfect vantage point. There are some states that have texting while driving law but the accident in the road because of texting while driving is still on the rise. This is why the Department of Transportation conducts a research regarding the law if it has an influence in the society. Are you trying to sell or purchase a new or used auto? If this describes you, learn more on our websites at Gus Johnson dealer!

spam bots are getting smarter aren't they....