• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Greeting from Palm Bay, Florida

By way of introduction my name is Paul King and I live in Palm Bay, Florida, about twenty miles south of Cape Canaveral, where the Space Shuttle is launched.

I guess I’ll start by telling you how I came about getting a Concours instead of a KLR which was what I had planned on buying that day.  It all started with the Kawasaki Dealer in Cocoa putting an internet special on the new 2011 KLR 650.  I had been looking for a deal for a couple of months because after weighing the time and money it would take to get my 1999 KLR back in shape the writing was on the wall:  it was not worth it.  So off to Cocoa I headed first thing Saturday morning and, as luck would have it, the place was busy.  Just so I do not confuse anyone, I like it when motorcycle dealers are busy for two reasons.  One, it’s a good sign that they will keep their doors open.  Two, unlike sitting on a bench at the mall wondering how much longer my wife is going to be, there is a lot to look at.   So I started wandering around waiting for the salesman I had talked to on the phone to get free and I sat down on a used 2000 Concours with 51,000 miles on it.  Wow, what a confortable seat and BIG gas tank.  The next thing I knew, I had a flashlight in hand trying to see behind all the plastic, and wishing that the guys in the service department would come by and say it would be OK to go ahead and get an allen wrench and get some of the plastic off so I could get a better look.  The salesman found me on my side checking out the drive shaft.  After getting an out-the-door price and putting a deposit to hold the bike, or one that I could use toward the KLR, off home I went to do some research.  First stop was eBay to check out prices on parts.  What a surprise to find that you can get a complete final drive for less money than what a good chain and sprocket set would cost.  Also, complete motors and lots of them.  Next stop, reviews and known problems.  I liked what I was seeing more all the time.  Long story short, been the owner of a Concours for two weeks now and I am one happy camper.

Many more happy miles,

Paul

Welcome Sawgrass.  You've hit the right place for all things Concours.  SHe's no KLR in the rough stuff, but she's a sweetie on the road and as economical as about anything out there.  Bang fer the buck she'll rock your world.  AND this group of YAYHOOS (like mike there who was makin' a joke about all the FLorida Steves) is worth buyin a COnnie just to hang out with em... even though they don't require that.  In any case, welcome to the forum Paul.  I hope you enjoy this group enough to stay a part of it fer the long haul.

Yeah Paul, welcome to this fine klub. Methinks you'll find it EZ to pile on them miles & places aboard it. In less than 10 yrs of Conc-ing I've hit states/provinces/countries in the map below. BTW I'm not retired & not a serious tourer. Enjoy the ride!

^-^ You may as well start planning now to attend the National Rally in Vermont or the Southeast region's Fall Rally (Winding Rivers & Roads) in Stecoah, NC.  Check the August and September calendars for specifics.  You should also check out Murph's for the farkles you'll want to add and put Steve in Sunny Florida (SISF) in your 'phone and favorites for his engine mods.  Hope to see you on the road or at a rally.

Paulie said:
..... & not a serious tourer.

Dang Paulie, you made Diet Coke come out my nose with that one.  Paulie is a VERY serious tourer by my standards.  When he says he's been to these states on the map, he means the ones colored red.  Lessee, that leaves out about... only.... well, about nothin'.  ;D 

Hook up with Paulie and Mary and see the world.

Welcome to the Concours, Paul! I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. I'm not too far from you in Sanford. We have quite a few members in Central Florida and some of them aren't Steves! It's an inside joke you'll catch on to!

Eddie

Well, Paulie still has to figure out how to get his Connie to Hawaii to make the full 50 US, and we give him credit for the borrowed bike in Europe, that's even worse than getting his Connie to Hawaii.  :)

welcome, from Orlando FL!  We ride out to Cocoa area quite often for a quick eat at Fish Lips and a dip in the ocean. 

Thanks All for the warm welcome.

WOW, Paulie what a journey.  If I could cover one fourth of what you have in the next 10 years, I would consider myself a lucky man.

Cap’n Bob, I am sure that a Genie did not come with my bike.  The Love Bugs are out and for the last couple of weeks, my Connie has had my hand rubbing at it more than it will for the next year.  For those of you who do not know what love bugs are:  OOPs I can not add a pictures but if you google love bugs in florida you will see.

Ranger Jim:  I’ve already started looking at my vacation as far as the rallies.  Thanks for the advice all the advice. 

Paul

Sawgrass said:
.  The Love Bugs are out and for the last couple of weeks, my Connie has had my hand rubbing at it more than it will for the next year.  For those of you who do not know what love bugs are:  OOPs I can not add a pictures but if you google love bugs in florida you will see.

Paul

By the way, I just learned a SUPER easy way of getting those pesky LoveBugs off of my bike and car.  Take a drier sheet, wet it with water and just wipe them off.  It'll leave a white residue behind but that can be easily washed with water. 

Shawnzilla said:
Sawgrass said:
.  The Love Bugs are out and for the last couple of weeks, my Connie has had my hand rubbing at it more than it will for the next year.  For those of you who do not know what love bugs are:  OOPs I can not add a pictures but if you google love bugs in florida you will see.

Paul

By the way, I just learned a SUPER easy way of getting those pesky LoveBugs off of my bike and car.  Take a drier sheet, wet it with water and just wipe them off.  It'll leave a white residue behind but that can be easily washed with water.

WOW! THat sounds easy.  I'll have to give that a try.  We have them suckas here in Texas too.  Nasty lil buggers they is and HARD to clean off.  THey will ruin your paint if left on there too.

Welcome, Paul, from one of the 5 Floriduh Steves. We have a breakie Ride to Eat coming up, up here in Lake County on 25 June. Swing by the house for a little bench racing and coffee before. We've had anywhere from 8 to about 18 show up for these RTEs. Good chance to see what folks have done to their bikes, and as the new guy, you can even buy for everyone if you choose.  No argument from me at all.  ;)

We try to keep things hopping in mid Fl, whether COG or not, so hope to see you around at one of the events.

Linky:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,26733.0.html

Later. SteveJ