• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Grip heater hook up....

LessPaul

Street Cruiser
Hey all.

Been away for bit.  After Nationals last June, I was a bit COGged out.  Not biked out.  Just posting/lurking-ed out. Now I'm getting ready to prep me '86 for the upcoming season, so I'ze back in it. And with a fresh re-up of my membership.

My issue is grip heaters and accessory socket hook up.  I have both (came with the bike), but they are connected direct to the battery, which makes it easy to drain if I leave my heaters on.  I live in fear.

I've been around this joint a fair bit looking for the best way to key them to the ignition, and haven't come across an explanation that makes sense to me. A lil' help, if'n you would?

Please assume I know next to nothing about electrical hook ups.  Because I don't. Wiring always trips my stupid-relay. The more detailed da bettah.

Guess I missed some fireworks around here recently, eh?

In my opinion the only way to properly hook up electronic accessories is using relays and fuses.  Simple to do, just do a YouTube search.  To trigger the relay, there are a bunch of ways of doing it, one would be the tail light.  I think Murpf also sells an accessory fuse block which has the relay and and I'm sure instructions on how wire it in.

fred-houston said:
In my opinion the only way to properly hook up electronic accessories is using relays and fuses.  Simple to do, just do a YouTube search.  To trigger the relay, there are a bunch of ways of doing it, one would be the tail light.  I think Murpf also sells an accessory fuse block which has the relay and and I'm sure instructions on how wire it in.

I did this ^ on my 2000 when I had itg . Easiest to do and costs about $60. Comes with a built in relay so you can't leave anything on.

I came up with my own system; it works, but it's not the neatest nor the prettiest  ::)
The kit that Murph sells looks pretty nice, and he's done most of the hard thinking for you.
As for the trigger, I'd say it depends where you want to place the fuse block that comes with the kit. I placed my block just inside the fairing on the left side, so my trigger is the running lamp wire from the left running lamp/turn signal. I simply pulled the light bulb holder, and tied the trigger wire to the running light wire. This is the same circuit as the tail lamp (not the stop lamp) and turns on/off with the ignition switch.
Jorge

Just get Murph's aux. fuse box kit. It has everything you need and the instructions are very clear. You can hook up your grips, GPS, whatever  and keep the wiring loom "clean."  Get it, you can thank me later.  (No, I'm not a paid endorser for Murph. I, like many (most) others here endorse Murph for free (well, except for the ice cream he provides at the National rallies).

Hey Matt!

Not likely on Helen this year. Though I will be doing Deals Gap/Dragon with my brother and a couple nephews in May.

Too much other stuff on the calendar to wrassle another 7-10 days off.

Hope all is well out your way!

Like Fred said ................. relay .............  :great:  No drain only on when bike is on.