• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Grips and grip heaters

mbrew

The grips on my Concours are in horrible condition. In the heat they turn into a sticky mess and wouldn't be usable without gloves. I'm about to put grip heaters on the bike and wanted some opinions. I contemplated leaving these grips on the bike, installing the grip heaters over them and then putting grip puppies on top. I also thought about just replacing the grips and putting on the heaters under them as standard, but I really haven't heard anyone talk about grips they really like. Murphs has some that sound pretty good.

All opinions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Mike

Grips wear out. If you go with heated grips and they wear out, you have to replace the whole setup. If you go with grip heaters (pads), you can replace the grips to suit your needs whenever you please.

Murph's grips and the Symtec heaters he sells work well. I've put them on multiple bikes now. Decent grips should last quite a while before needing replacement. But if you put enough miles on, they will wear.

Cap'n Bob said:
Murph's grips and the Symtec heaters he sells work well. I've put them on multiple bikes now. Decent grips should last quite a while before needing replacement. But if you put enough miles on, they will wear.

I just replaced a set of Murph's grips (with another new set) after about 45k miles and 6 years.  I only did it because I noticed that the old ones had worn a bit smooth where my hands rest, and I wanted them round.  The new ones feel a little softer, and I assume it's because the old ones had hardened.  (only a little, though)  But at $14.25 for 6 years of use, I guess they're worth it.  ;D

Well my opinion is. Murphs grips and the grip heater pads work ok in moderate temps, and have a limit range of usefulness. Do make a great backup when you dont have your heated gloves with you and need a little extra with your summer gloves. meaning moderate temps as you were not expecting too cold a weather.

So what kind of riding do you do, and it what kind of temps?

For me I guess maybe I need to grip harder of something, but in the cold weather my fingertips still froze. While I could feel some warmth in the palms ok, the fingertips still freeze. The heated glove work better in the cold. Cold being below 40.

Above 50 and I dont need anyting. Just my regular Held Steve gloves are fine for 50 and over, for me.

Generally for 40-45 I still use the Gerbing gloves and just dont use too much heat.  In the end, I really dont use the grip heaters at all anymore. Once in a while as backup.

Also Grips make a difference. I have Murphs grips too. I like them, they are comfortable. But since you are trying to heat through the grips the amount of heat you will get depends on the grips to some degree.  It has been reported in the past, that the heat pad grip heaters work better with different grips. -- But then you have to live with those grips all the time. Is it worth it ?

Gloves make a difference. Back before the heated gloves and my old winter gloves, the gloves had insulation all over. This not only insulates you from the cold but the heat in your grips too. My fingertips froze and the warmth in the palms was there, but not overly impressive.  -- Where with the Held Steves which have a leather palm with no crap in there, you can really feel the heat.

So my opinion is grip heaters are a great backup with summer gloves. No replacement for good heated gloves in cold weather riding.

Having said that, hot grips and hippo hands seem to be the big thing on the Ninja 250 Riders club. The littke Ninja just does not have much power available. And people like to go with the grip heaters and hippo hands.

A guy here at work does this. He is the only other person here who rides year round like I do. He says the hippo hands add 15* to the outside temp. So if its 30* outside and he can wear gloves for 45* under those things, then some grip heaters and your summer gloves are still working good. This is what he does all winter in the the Pacific NorthWet.

This setup would also be a lot cheaper than heated gloves by the time you get gloves and a controller. And you can have the grips heaters around all the time. Dont have to remember them.

Cap'n Bob said:

Second that.  I would add that spending a little more to add a Heatroller control for the Symtec's is worth every penny if you will be riding more than an hour anytime you'll be using the heaters- so if you are an all year, or early spring and late fall rider, think about it.  A little pricey at $59/$69 (iirc) but after you see how it changes how adjustable the heat is you'll be glad you did it.  Can only be found here to my knowledge: http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_71_83

Oh, and BTW, Slybones is totally on target about the temps- the grips will only do the trick down to say, the 40's (F)- after that, you definitely need either winter insulated gloves or heated gloves, period.

Thanks for the responses. I'm likely to ride in any weather that doesn't include ice or snow. I have ridden into the low 20's  on an unfaired bike and no heated gear. Yes I suffered. My fingertips hurt after a bit of that. The 40's with a well insulated pair of gloves is not a big deal. I do expect to have heated gloves, but I still want the grip heaters for additional options I think. Seems like the consensus is for Murphs grips.

Heated grips also come in handy on a cool night or morning when wearing warm weather gloves. Or a cold rainy day.