• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Grips

caeman

Moped
So, what goes into the replacing the grips on the C10? I picked up a pair of grips from Murph's kits. The big foamy handles on the Connie were uncomfortable for my hands. I like the slimmerness (is that a word?) of these newer grips, whether they improve vibration deadening or not (the claim from the web site. I have never replaced grips on a bike before. : 36k miles 2007 Ninja 250: 15k miles

Pretty easy. Remove the end bars by removing the allen bolt 6mm I think. I cut the old ones off with a razor blade or carpet knife. lube up the new grips. Here there will be much debate :) I use washing up liquid or tire glup, each have advantages/disadvantages. and just slide them on Others have used compressed air and used that to help expand them as they push them on. After you need to carefully trim the end with a knife or razor blade so that when you re-fit the bar ends the grip does not interfere with the joint, or give friction on the throttle. Happy Wrenching Colin Prior Cogmos Administrator Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Some use hair-spray. Honest. Very sticky. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

No adhesive needed for the new grips?
I have never used it on the 4 pairs I put on. The advantage of tire goop if you have it is that once it dries it acts as a sort of glue, which is why for tire fitting most advise not to use washing-up liquid as when it gets wet it can allow the tire to rotate on the rim. The grips are pretty snug, and you are"gripping" the grips :) so I've not had an issue. In addition I think the throttle sleeve has ribs. Oh while you at it you may want to remove the throttle sleeve and give it a jolly good clean and scotch bright the handle bar it rotates round. This will make the throttle action much slicker. Colin Prior Cogmos Administrator Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Some use hair-spray. Honest. Very sticky.
Did that the first time, worked great! Since then, I have pretty much used nothing but compressed air, haven't had one slip yet. Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA

I used to use hairspray, but now I just use compress air. No fuss no muss and no issues with the grips adhering to the bars wither. If you don't have access to an air compressor, then hairspray will work fine. YMMV Brock T. Delp http://www.delp.net/Concours '99 Concours "Gypsy" COG #3903/A : IBA #15224

i bought a set of heated grips from yamaha that required spraying the inside of the grip with wd40 to activate the adhesive,they went on very easy then within minutes were secure

I replaced my stock grips with Murph's gel grips, grip puppies, and Marph's bar end weights. The little cap on the end of the stock grips was the hardest part - you need to use a razor blade or narrow screw driver to pry up the cap, then use an allen wrench to remove the end weight. I then cut the original grips off with a utility knife. I used diluted dishwashing soap & water to slide the new ones on, and then let 'em dry. They've been snug with no slipping since I installed them - no need for hairspray. Hope this helps!

The new Murph's Gel Grips are now installed. What a pain! The grips on my C10 were not the stock grips. They were an after-market thing that was NOT easy to remove. And I found a little surprise...a previous owner had installed heated grips on the bike. Two cut wires and the electrical element are all that remain as evidence, though. The new Gel grips are on. I like the thinner grip that these are. I might save my money up now for the bar end weights to add little shiny bling to the now drab black grips. : 38k miles

quote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Some use hair-spray. Honest. Very sticky. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Yes Up here in Oregon "White Rain" works very well...... AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

I just installed some of Murph's Great Grips, all I used to put them on was a little spit, slid right on and no slipping. Much nicer on the hands than the stockers. 1968 Honda 160 Scrambler, Sold 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in 1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja 1999 Kawasaki Concours COG memb# 8645