• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

H4 LED Headlight bulb

idahobob

Big Wheel
I purchased this from Big Bike Parts. It is supposed to be the equivalent of and 80 watt Bulb. This is without a fan, it was labeled from the company Show Chrome. It had 18 LEDs and the cost was approx $60.00. These units did not put out as much light as a 55/60 H4 Halogen that cost's $8.00! When you look at it it looks like a bright white, but the light scatters so much that it doesn't focus the light on the road. Big Bike parts doesn't stand behind this product, I tried to exchange them for standard Halogen bulbs but they would not exchange them. They misrepresented this as a high output bulb which it is not!
                                  Bob Rainey

WTH!!!!???
Bob Rainey on a computer!

Idaho Bob said:
I purchased this from Big Bike Parts. It is supposed to be the equivalent of and 80 watt Bulb. This is without a fan, it was labeled from the company Show Chrome. It had 18 LEDs and the cost was approx $60.00. These units did not put out as much light as a 55/60 H4 Halogen that cost's $8.00! When you look at it it looks like a bright white, but the light scatters so much that it doesn't focus the light on the road. Big Bike parts doesn't stand behind this product, I tried to exchange them for standard Halogen bulbs but they would not exchange them. They misrepresented this as a high output bulb which it is not!
                                  Bob Rainey

danodemotoman said:
WTH!!!!???
Bob Rainey on a computer!

Yeah, I was blown away when I saw this. What's next? Hell freezing over?

I s'pose at some point we should comment on his problem.

Nah, it would take too long.  ;D

Thinking about this, I suspect Bob bought something that is obviously for his Harley  (Show Chrome) and tried to use it on his C10. You know you can't use HD parts on rice burners.  :rotflmao:

So I just looked through the Big Bike catalog and can't find any bulb that might be compatible. The only Show Chrome bulbs were for HD or GW and did not specify they were H4 bulb compatible.

Bob - you got a part number?

JPavlis_CA said:
From the Cyclemax web site (8 bucks cheaper but the same bulb)
Read the fine print in red....
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/80_watt_h4_led_headlight_bulb/212121
Note: Some of our customers have complained that these bulbs do not project as much light down the road as the stock halogen bulbs do. These LED bulbs will be a whiter light, draw less power, last longer and make it easier for others to see you but, they will not light up the road as well as the stock bulbs. LED technology has not progressed to that point yet. If you are looking for more light projected ahead of the bike, our HID kit is the answer for you.
LED tech has progressed to that point, but you need to get the right sort of LED setup.  That style won't do it.  Better options exist for around $60 a pair.  Which means you've got a spare.

There has been a discussion going on in the "Accessories C14" section about an LED H4 from an eBay seller. I took some comparison photos with the HID that I had been using. The thread is http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=63229 and my results start at reply #43.

Short summary: in a quick static test on a relatively dark, straight road, I don't see a significant difference in the LED and HID. I would expect a greater difference with a conventional incandescent H4. I'm going to run the LED for a while and see how it performs for me in riding conditions.

Photobucket with my photos: http://s292.photobucket.com/user/swampcat-TPA/library/HID%20vs%20LED%20Headlight%20Comparison

Quick view:

I've installed the LED bulb referenced by Swampcat in the C-10 and my first gen KiLleR.

I don't do pics.
Two huge pluses that apply to both bikes. They draw less current and the beam dispersal is excellent on both low and high beam. When dipping to low, the beam spreads a lot more than either halogens or HID-s.

One of the issues I had with the hid(aside from early failure) was the brightness in front of the bike on low beam vs high. The light output on high just kinda fell off the planet leaving a time period for your eyes to adjust. The LED does not have that issue. On low beam spreads more to the ditches, a good thing. These also have a nice sharp cut off to reduce glare to oncoming drivers. The last thing I want is to blind an oncoming driver while on a bike on the skinny dark road that I commute on. It seems as if the headlights on both bikes were designed for this bulb, not halogens. The light patterns are that much better, in my not so humble opinion.

Output seems reasonable, better than stock for sure, though I have no way of measuring except my eyeballs. The FF200 driving lights obliterate the high beam on the C-10, which was to be expected but the ditch lighting of the LED was still most impressive. The FF200 in combination with an LED is a most excellent lighting solution for the primitive beast.  They give a nice combo of warm and cool light. Unfortunately the FF200 driving lights are now made of unobtanium, though the fog beams are still available.

On the KLR, I replaced a 80/100 watt halogen, it seems a bit dimmer, but not by much. The light pattern on the KLR was much better than the halogen, especially lighting the ditches and with no overly bright spot in front of you on low beam.

Install on both bikes is easier than replacing a standard halogen. You will have to find a place for the small "transformer" or whatever that gizmo is. No big deal.

The one negative I have is the color temp, these are 6500. The box also has markings for 5500 and somewhere in the 3xxx range. I'm thinking I would like the 5500 better, though unsure of availability. Or maybe I will adjust to this whiter light. No hint of blue, BTW.

The above is just my take on things. YMMV. Do not use while bathing or for rectal or vaginal insertion. Standard disclaimers apply.

BTTW, these lights are now available on Amazon for $45.

http://amazon.com/Headlight-Evitek-6500K-Easy-Installed-4500LM/dp/B017M566T4/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1452431063&sr=1-2&keywords=g6+led+headlight

All in all, keepers.

:beerchug:

gpd323 said:
I was the one asking about the KLR, thanks for the info and link.

Yer quite welcome.

With the more clearly defined cut off point, I'm having to re-aim the headlight. What a genuine PITA that is.