• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Had the big maintenance done at the local shop - things he had me change.

Epeescott

Had the full service done on my 1400. Valve adjustment, fluid flushes/changes, etc.

Technician recommended I stop using Mobil 1 15W-50 as it isn't motorcycle rated. Put in Motul 7100 10W-40, which is almost 4 times as expensive. Now, I am a firm believer in the "oil is cheaper than engines" concept, but I seem to recall lots of people here using Mobil 1 - and it is the recommended oil for the KLR on KLR forums, and I have used it on my KLR for 130K miles. What say you?

Also, the technician took out the K&N air filter and replaced it with a stock pleated filter. He commented that he has seen lots of grit build up after the air filter on K&N filter equpped bikes.

Otherwise, the maintenance went great and it kinda feels like a better bike now. But for $1600, I wish it were easier to get at the valves.......

The main risk is if the oil has friction modifiers. 15w50 probably does not.
Many use Rotella T6 15w40. This synthetic oil meets JSO MA/MA 2, which indicate it is acceptable for use in wet clutches.
This oil is marketed for HD diesels, but it has the right properties for using in bikes. It is also a very good quality oil, and available at many places, including WalMart.

If you are happy with the outcome, that's all that matters. Regarding air cleaners and oil use, there are hundreds of threads that address this. There is nothing wrong with the K/N. There is nothing wrong with good oil. When you bring your motorcycle to a tech, his/her bias will be communicated. Are you aware, some techs don't even own motorcycles or ride them..lol. Techs also take advantage with customers lack of knowledge. Hot-rodder for life...Sean

Reactions: Bud