• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hagon shock and eye candy

2qwk4u442

So I got tired of the slow leak on the factory shock, read as much as I could find on here about my replacement options - and decided to get the Hagon.

I have some general questions (and especially would like to hear from anyone with the Hagon on a C10 still frequenting the forum) I'll be putting this on probably at the end of this month - anything in particular to be on watch for/or aware of?

The order sheet with Hagon, I gave them this info: 105kg Rider weight; passenger weight 80kg; luggage 15kg; and percent riding with passenger 25%.

The printing on the coil is 140/200

Attachments

• IMG_20231130_173058502_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231130_173058502_HDR.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20231130_173413372.jpg
    IMG_20231130_173413372.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20231130_174022224.jpg
    IMG_20231130_174022224.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 43
When you install the shock, the first/most important thing to do is set the sag.
The sag setting will tell you if you have the spring sized correctly.

Ride safe, Ted

Very nice! This looks like the same one on the Connie I just got. I haven't ridden it yet (winter, and I bought it non-running with gummed-up carbs), so I don't know how it rides, but I am interested to learn how to use and adjust it.

It looks like the remote knob raises and lowers the preload seat under the spring?

From what I read, the rebound damping is adjusted by an Allen screw on the side at the bottom of the piston body?

When you install the shock, the first/most important thing to do is set the sag.
The sag setting will tell you if you have the spring sized correctly.

Ride safe, Ted
Yes Ted, that's my plan. Actually just read a post in the c14 area about the motool Slacker digital gage for setting sag. I'm ordering one now- partially for setting up the Hagon on the C10, but I've also got an Ohlins shock on the way for my z900rs cafe as well. I think that tool will make things easy and precise.

Very nice! This looks like the same one on the Connie I just got. I haven't ridden it yet (winter, and I bought it non-running with gummed-up carbs), so I don't know how it rides, but I am interested to learn how to use and adjust it.

It looks like the remote knob raises and lowers the preload seat under the spring?

From what I read, the rebound damping is adjusted by an Allen screw on the side at the bottom of the piston body?
Yes, what you stated is correct.
I wonder if you can make out and printing on your spring? Might be hard to find/see with it installed...

J
Yes Ted, that's my plan. Actually just read a post in the c14 area about the motool Slacker digital gage for setting sag. I'm ordering one now- partially for setting up the Hagon on the C10, but I've also got an Ohlins shock on the way for my z900rs cafe as well. I think that tool will make things easy and precise.
Just went thru the post you mentioned on the C14 pages and ordered one for an early Christmas gift😂🤪😎
Thanks for the heads up

Don't Know how much you paid for your bike Seth. But that is a $500.00 dollar shock.

Dean
Yeah, part of why I settled for a less-favorite color is the goodies installed on it. I wouldn't choose all of them myself, but I'm continuing to find more, some of which aren't available anymore (like Murphs headlight relay kit, although that's not hard to build from scratch, just extra work).

I will try to make a closer inspection of my shock and see if I can decipher the spring rate.

I'm interested to learn recommended preload and damping setup too.

Don't Know how much you paid for your bike Seth. But that is a $500.00 dollar shock.

Dean
Lol, might have used to be 500 dollars.
Ugh 😣 😫
With shipping it was 536 BRITISH Pounds, which is $680 us dollars.

Seth, I'm going to share the little info that I received in the packaging, to try and help you figure yours out as well... But I'm short on time right now, I've been working a lot of 12 hour shifts.

I poked my head under my bike today and got a couple photos of the Hagon shock on it. The spring is red, and I found some faint markings, but they were hard to mark out. Looked like it might be 120/200?

Attachments

• PXL_20231204_203436603.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231204_203436603.MP.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20231204_203604264.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231204_203604264.MP.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 30
Lot of dust on that shock Seth.
You know you have MURPHS kneesavers on that bike also. Excuse me highly modded bike

Dean
Yup, it's been sitting inside for a number of years. I hope the dust on the shock isn't from leaking, but there's dust on everything, and I don't see any seeping oil.

Yes, it took me a bit at first, but I figured out these are Murphs lowering pegs as well. I think I've read somewhere that they are Goldwing pegs on his custom brackets? The stock Concours pegs were in the box of spare parts that came with the bike.

BTW, I emailed Hagon yesterday evening and received a reply overnight! I'm impressed with their service, even when I wasn't buying something. I'm going to see how it handles on the road this coming year, but if it does need service, I won't hesitate to have Hagon do it.

For others who might be interested in more info, here's their response:

"The marking on the spring is correct with the 120 being the spring rate and the 200 being the unfitted length of the spring. This would be good for a rider 75-90kg with another 75kg of reserve. Spring rate is fine for you and out of the box the shock has 16mm of preload. So if you measured the spring seat to seat default would be a fitted spring length of 184mm.

With a fitted spring length of around 174mm you would be reaching the springs limit and a combined loading of around 165-170kg.

Damping adjustment is the small allen screw on the power fitting of the shock. Clockwise would increase the damping, slowing down compression and re-bound speed and vice-versa.

Our shocks are re-buildable (as long as it’s not 15 years old plus!) and current cost £161.00 including vat and £11.50 carriage."

Well, over Christmas I pulled the old air shock out. Test fit the Hagon, then figured out where and how I wanted to mount the Remote Adjuster. I don't know if it's the best or ideal - but it works for me. Not overly obtrusive, fairly accessible.
I drilled & tapped the thick leg of the passenger peg bracket. Also slightly clearanced the backside, so the SHCS are threaded into the peg bracket, but also have a lock nut on backside. I like it.
I haven't installed the shock yet as I decided to replace the needle bearings in the uni-trak, and those parts haven't arrived from Japan yet.
The only thing I noticed that I will have to adjust/change when I put it in for good, is the angle/direction that the banjo for the adjuster hydraulic line comes into the top of the shock. Left as it is, it will make a fairly sharp bend and leave part of the line pushing against the top of the swing arm. I don't like that, so I'll barely loosen the line and 'clock it' maybe 15 or 20 degrees. Id rather not, I know I'll loose just a tiny bit of fluid. Otherwise, this Hagon is very nicely made.

Attachments

• IMG_20231226_165206007_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231226_165206007_HDR.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20231226_165152662_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231226_165152662_HDR.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20231226_165233203_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231226_165233203_HDR.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 24
Very nice!

For reference, here's where the PO mounted the adjuster for mine on a bracket to the rear inner fender. You have to remove the left side cover to reach it, and he had it set back where it was hard to reach and blocked a lot of "free" space, so I moved it down and left several more inches it to make it easier to reach and free up enough space to fit my tire pump and patch kit tucked into the free space.

BTW, the little 12vpump I got from motopumps.com is a great little unit. It's compact, well-designed, and comes with a nice padded soft case perfect for stuffing into a space like this. I added their compact plug kit and tossed that into the bag.
1000003546.jpg
1000003547.jpg

1000003548.jpg

Hi Seth, thanks! I had considered and looked at mounting it somewhere behind the panel, much like your is. It looks like your adjuster is just very slightly different (not that that means anything at all.) Also, you have a braided line. Thats something I considered, but my reasoning was that the Hagon line is around 20" plus the fittings... which is about 6" more than I need. So i thought about having Speigler make me a line. But- I DONT need any more projects to slow me down.... i create enough unnecessary ones already lol!
(and a side note for you Seth, if your interested, or can get to it to see... at the very bottom of the sticker Hagon put on the inner tube of their shock, should be the manufacture date.)

Just to put the info out there, for whatever value its worth, if someone finds this post in the future...
Im going to post some measurements I took when I started test fitting the install.

The OEM air shock, center to center, from top bolt hole to bottom, 13" ("approx" because I only used a tape measure on this)
The Hagon, 13.400" (tape measure)
Everything else I used much more precise methods.

As purchased, out of the box, 7.300" mounted Spring length. (this coincidently jives with the info the company sent you Seth, 184mm is 7.244")
{I do not know what spring preload they assembled mine with, but I bet about the same}

With the adjuster turned fully in, I have a Spring measurement of 6.875". So, full movement is .425" or 10.8mm

The remote adjuster; fully backed off there are 4 lines visible on the main body, each about .425 apart. It takes 8 full turns of the knurled handle to travel the .425" between lines.

Thanks for the info! I need to experiment with sag for myself alone and my wife as passenger and see where I should have it set, then add some paint marks so it's a quick reference adjustment when I'm riding solo or 2-up. Let me know where you end up on yours.

Your line looks like a braided line too, just with a vinyl jacket on it. It honestly looks like the black option braided brake lines from Spiegler or Galfer.

I'm fighting the temptation to buy a Hagon for my 600 now. I'm going through it this winter and putting Racetech emulators in the forks, and the stock (29-year-old) rear shock is going to stand out in contrast, haha. I think Hagon is the only seller that lists them for a ZX600-C anymore (others can fit, but with modifications, but of course that's more work and experimentation). I may look more closely at where the adjuster would end up and see if I could get buy with the manual adjustment ring on it and save the expense and complication of the hydraulic remote. Now that I have the Connie, I will rarely (if ever) have a passenger on the 600, so I can set up the preload for myself alone and forget it.

Haha, is that just because it's putting a British part on a German bike?
I dunno.

We ride jap bikes and don't seem to give a shit as long as it works and makes the bike better ......over there they are Wunderlich fans for anything aftermarket and the standing joke is "what's the cheapest thing on a BMW?"

the answer they laugh....is "the dude standing over the bike".....but BMW OEM and Wunderlich seem to be the favored brands so you may be on to the rationale

Have used the Slacker yet? Did my front forks east enough but had to pull the left Delkevic to get a straight line. Too cold and windy to take on a test ride today

The OEM air shock, center to center, from top bolt hole to bottom, 13" ("approx." because I only used a tape measure on this)
The Hagon, 13.400" (tape measure)
Everything else I used much more precise methods.

2qwk4u442, {if you get a chance}
Measure from the axle to a point on the frame with "both" shocks.
Reason; A .4" difference in shock length will raise the rear of the bike approx. 1".

The measurement will help you determine if you affected that.

Ride safe, Ted