• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Harley Suspends work on LiveWire

NW Harley Davidson in Lacey, has one on the floor that is available for test rides.

Grant said:
NW Harley Davidson in Lacey, has one on the floor that is available for test rides.
Go ride it and tell us what you think.  I should check and see if the dealer in Evansville has a demo.  Not gonna buy one but I'd sure like to see what it's like.

zero has been doing it for the past 15 years, and doing it well. HD went in the wrong lane, and this will kill it. 10K more for.. what? an orange tank. this bike is so dumb. 

I saw one at the AIM show last month. It was setup on a dyno. You could
seat on it and gas it, oops electric it. It would also immediately jump to 60mph.
It was ever smooth and quiet. Very very little vibration.. It would be an excellent
bike for around town as nothing would beat you from a stop light.

m in sc said:
zero has been doing it for the past 15 years, and doing it well. HD went in the wrong lane, and this will kill it. 10K more for.. what? an orange tank. this bike is so dumb.
HD must think that just because they're HD, that folks are going to shell out stupid money for their electric bike.  If you're going to spend that kind of money, go all the way and get a Lightning LS-218, with 180 lbs of torque, :-\ weighs 455 lbs for $39,000.  The premium version of the Zero, with 140 lbs of torque, weighs 498 lbs is $23,800.  HD is in last place at 86 lbs of torque, weighs 549 lbs for $30,000.  Yeah, Harley's got a real winner there.  Wonder how long until it's dropped from the lineup?

my neighbor just bought a used zero ex police bike at an auction for 2300 bucks. still has the siren and PA on it. THATS what im talking about.  :great:

actually base msrp on a sr/f is $19,495 https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/  Premium is 23,795 including the rapid charger (that actually works)

plus tax credits and incentives on top of that.

and, i stand corrected, 13 years, not 15.

HD must think that just because they're HD, that folks are going to shell out stupid money for their electric bike.

Of course they do. It's been happening for decades, but will they shell it out for something that is radically different than their typical tired, rehashed lineup?

EVs are the future, maybe not as much in the US, but definitly in the world.  I considered an Electric Bike as a commuter, and it makes a lot of sence (25 miles one way with a charge at work).    But I agree, HD has really missed the mark.  You want to get the youth of this nation into motorcycles, then you need to make it affordable for them.  $10k more than zero, you will never sell any at great success.      It will be a sad day when HD is no longer, but I fear that day is closer than I would like to realize.  Unless you consider them an apparel manufacturer that also makes motorcycles.....

I can see having an electric bike for various reasons.  Gobs of torque from the git go would be one of them.  Would be a ton o fun on the back roads.

Bud said:
I can see having an electric bike for various reasons.  Gobs of torque from the git go would be one of them.  Would be a ton o fun on the back roads.

Until the technology improves.....

"Just when you start having fun, it's time to
turn around and go back to plug it in again." 

I can see them in urban settings to get around town, but
not in the mountains.  The infrastructure just isn't there yet.

Mcfly said:
Bud said:

ahhh yes, I kind of agree, but..... is the USA ready for the radical improvement? it's all based around "battery form factor"...... and the china market for battery tech, and application will break free.. you mark my words... it will.

China and Japan, bought my companies tech, almost 30 years ago now.  be patient, it will be seen, and it will be awesome in all respects. Simply "dumping power" into an electric motor, is now being streamlined into circuitry and
"power on demand" in lieu of mega dump power thru the switch.. "smart" power roll on, and "misering" circuits, are becoming the way that has Zero, being the master in the Racing world.. it's all "trickle down tech" no pun intended, but I see it coming on fast...

Mcfly said:
Bud said:

Having multiple bikes means if I want to ride all day, I would ride something else.  We don't have mountains here, but our county roads are curvy, hilly and fun to play on.  In my world, the zero would be enough for 100 miles of fun on those back roads.  My statement was taking into account that getting stranded in the desolate mountains is not a problem for me.  It's a big world with lots of different environments.  An old car salesman I worked with years ago had this saying.  There's a butt for every seat. :)

This suspension in production is supposed to be a shot pause to work out a quality issue that Harley Davidson didn't like. That being said from what I have read the fit and finished on the live wire is outstanding. The price point between the Zero and Livewire are comparable when you consider the Livewire is priced without the fast charging and what they call the spare tank battery.  Performance and range are also comparable without Livewire's spare tank battery. And then if you add the spare tank battery to the Livewire you apparently lose the ability to fast charge all together.
https://youtu.be/TkSARmOrp-I

I haven't ridden the Livewire nor have I ridden a Zero probably because I am not looking at getting an electric bike any time soon.  But here is someone who has ridden the very Livewire I would rid if I were in the market.  After watching his video I may just go ride it  :motonoises https://youtu.be/bKQKryRnxBM

I will definitely test ride a liveware when available.  I am sure HD will let me, since my HD is now paid for, they are looking at locking me into another 5 year note!

Bud said:
Mcfly said:
Bud said:

Having multiple bikes means if I want to ride all day, I would ride something else.  We don't have mountains here, but our county roads are curvy, hilly and fun to play on.  In my world, the zero would be enough for 100 miles of fun on those back roads.  My statement was taking into account that getting stranded in the desolate mountains is not a problem for me.  It's a big world with lots of different environments.  An old car salesman I worked with years ago had this saying.  There's a butt for every seat. :)

:beerchug:

Ranger Jim said:
Harley has resumed production. Apparently the "non-standard condition" was only on 1 motorcycle.

Believe that "poo," and I have a low miles 737MAX I'll sell you..............

Well been looking for a negative review and after scoring YouTube for reviews from moto bloggers whom I expected would be haters the only haters I found hadn't ridden it.
That being said I have no opinion of my own to share other than all the negative comments I find are from those without any way to back it up. As soon as I get the time I am going to schedule a ride so I can make my own assessment of the Livewire.
I do have to come clean assessment will not be without some bias as really like Harley that and the only E.V. I have ever piloted is a golf cart, however impartial to the point I just really like motorcycles.... :motonoises: :)

Grant said:
Well been looking for a negative review and after scoring YouTube for reviews from moto bloggers whom I expected would be haters the only haters I found hadn't ridden it.
That being said I have no opinion of my own to share other than all the negative comments I find are from those without any way to back it up. As soon as I get the time I am going to schedule a ride so I can make my own assessment of the Livewire.
I do have to come clean assessment will not be without some bias as really like Harley that and the only E.V. I have ever piloted is a golf cart, however impartial to the point I just really like motorcycles.... :motonoises: :)
Go ride the new Zero SRF, it's outstanding. Still too limited on range for my uses but very fun bike to ride up until it runs low on charge.

The HD Livewire is back in production...

Harley-Davidson's LiveWire electric motorcycle is back in production
Sean Szymkowski 3 days ago
Hey, remember when we learned Monday that Harley-Davidson had to stop production of its fancy new LiveWire electric motorcycle? Well, Harley-Davidson representatives confirmed to Roadshow on Friday that the production lines have started back up.

"After completing rigorous analysis this week, we have resumed LiveWire production and deliveries. Customers may continue riding their LiveWire [motorcycles] and are able to charge the motorcycle through all methods," a Harley-Davidson representative said in a statement. "Temporarily stopping LiveWire production allowed us to confirm that the nonstandard condition identified on one motorcycle was a singular occurrence. We take pride in our rigorous quality assurance measures and our drive to deliver the world's best motorcycles."

I really wonder how good the Livewire is.  For that matter, how good all the electric "motor"cycles are.  My reason for taking a cautious approach is the way magazine reviewers are.  If you look at any motorcycle review, they are all glowing.  Why?  Because of the advertising dollars, and the potential to lose their jobs if they report the full truth.  Plus, I think they want to really promote the new "green" bikes.

So...here's a thought.  Will the EPA flood the market with E15 gas and make our gas powered motorcycles junk?  Will they say, it is for the betterment of the world, and if you want to ride, buy an electric motorcycle?

Chris