• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Has anyone tried this?

I haven't done the fork seals or oil replacement yet.
Looks good, but not sure if there are any issues by doing it this way.
ie; I'm wondering when/where/how in the reassembly,,, you will add oil with both ends open?

Ride safe, Ted

Sorry, was a dumb question.
After some thought, I realized how/when to add the oil.
(ie; Before you screw the cap back to the upper fork tube)

NOTE: He's not measuring the oil level height.
He's adding oil using the volume method.
So, does anyone know the correct amount of oil to be used?

Ride safe, Ted

NOTE: He's not measuring the oil level height.
He's adding oil using the volume method.
So, does anyone know the correct amount of oil to be used?

Ride safe, Ted
Oil Amount (Per Fork): - See additionally my point of view / preference per measurement process further below:

Note there are some differences in years - I have worked on many folks' C-14's with the time ranges below - a little digging should help determine when fork changes were made for years not listed.
  1. Measure fluid extracted and refill with same amount - DO NOT DO THIS!
  2. Measurements from the Kawasaki C14 FSM 2015 - 2019:
    1. Dump and Go - oil change only: Approx. 470 ml (15.9 US oz.) - Good Practice
    2. After complete disassembly, cleaned and completely dried: 551 ±4 ml (18.6 ±0.135 US oz.) - Better Practice
    3. Perform process #2, then with spring out, fully actuate piston rod 10 times to remove air, compress piston rod fully, measure oil from top of the fork tube (Standard: 93 ±2 mm (3.7 ±0.08 in.) - Best Practice
  3. Measurements from the Kawasaki C14 FSM 2008 - 2009:
    1. Dump and Go - oil change only: Approx. 445 mL (15.0 US oz.) - Good Practice
    2. After complete disassembly, cleaned and completely dried: 526 ±4 mL (17.8 ±0.14 US oz.) - Better Practice
    3. Perform process #2, then with spring out, fully actuate piston rod 10 times to remove air, compress piston rod fully, measure oil from top of the fork tube (Standard: 101 ±2 mm (3.98 ±0.08 in.) - Best Practice
Measuring of fork fluid that came out: DO NOT DO THIS.
This is at best a poor technique - as the content producer stated, follow the manual. Determining amount of fluid to go in by what was extracted requires numerous assumptions / compromises:
  • First and foremost was the previous fork oil amount, correct?
  • Was previous fork oil of same viscosity, as being used now?
  • Length of time for previous fork oil change - some microscopic film loss may have been compounding tossing out validity of all measurements.
Dump and Go Fork Oil Change: Good Practice
  • 15% of old fluid stays in the forks, and the 15% that stays in is the dirtiest - result is immediately compromising the new oil and performance.
  • Note the FSM volume measurement qualifier about changing oil only: "Approx." This is due to the variability in oil drainage from an endless number of variables starting with temperature, contamination, viscosity, draining technique, etc. etc....
  • With forks out already WHY compromise...
Complete Disassembly: Better and Best Practice
  • With the forks already out, have the proper tool for disassembly - widely available and some You Tube homemade tools (at your own risk).
  • Literally only a few more minutes of effort
  • Brand New fluid throughout system
  • Best consistency between forks after service
Hope this helps,
Wayne

1000003941.jpg
Quick update: This was so easy it's ridiculous. You can still pump out the oil from the cartridge in this configuration too.
One Allen in the bottom, cartridge comes out with the cap.
Seal swap took a minute per side.
Boom.
Slap it back together and add oil.
Total time for disassembly, maintenance, assembly maybe an hr taking my time.

View attachment 38591
Quick update: This was so easy it's ridiculous. You can still pump out the oil from the cartridge in this configuration too.
One Allen in the bottom, cartridge comes out with the cap.
Seal swap took a minute per side.
Boom.
Slap it back together and add oil.
Total time for disassembly, maintenance, assembly maybe an hr taking my time.
What did you end up doing for determining amount of oil?