• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Has anyone used a 'Tow Dolly'?

Jim Ansbro

Reluctantly my GF does NOT ride.. I'm heading to the National this year, and she wants to go, I have a trailer, but it's a 6x10, and a bit heavy,
so I would have to tow with the truck. If I could use the Tow Dolly, I could save more than what it would cost me by towing with the car.
Has anyone, other than the Connie owner in the ad, used one? Should you disconnect the drive shaft, or is it safe to travel as is?
And which one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Trailer-Hitch-Carrier-Tow-Dolly-/120739620432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1ca46650

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-trailer-carrier-tow-dolly-hauler-rack-hitch-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e6563b783QQitemZ130550052739QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I don't think the drive assembly would be getting getting proper lubrication. IIRC, doesn't the front need the motor running to pump lubricant? Even in neutral, the shaft is going to turn. Or am I wrong in my thinking here?

I haven't use one, but it's been discussed before and most agree it's very bad for any kind of distance. The issue is with the rear wheel going round, it's driving the rest of the drive-train and since the engine is not running, there is no lubrication. Not sure how you'd disconnect the drive-shaft for travel but it might make for an interesting parking lot tech session once you got to the Rally  ;D

How heavy is heavy? I tow my purpose-built motorcycle trailer with a Honda Civic. It's like the trailer isn't even there, and we still got over 30mpg while towing.

Scott_Kaplan_ME said:
How heavy is heavy? I tow my purpose-built motorcycle trailer with a Honda Civic. It's like the trailer isn't even there, and we still got over 30mpg while towing.
Scott, the 6x10 is a Carry-all with a wood plank floor, weighs in empty at 1100lbs, plus 700+ for the Connie. The Subie isn't gonna do..

Just got off the phone with the local dealer (Montgomeryville), and they say the tow dolly is a bad idea.. Trailer it.

Well, I'll be trailer support for you all heading up to Vermont on Sunday! If you need my cell #, pm me with yours, and I'll log it and send you mine.

Route is: NE Pennsylvania 95N to New Jersey RT31W, 202N, 287N, New York 87N, 787N, 7E, Vermont 279E, 9E, 100N.

I think your local dealer is right! Looking at the rig in the ad, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable pulling out of my driveway with it. I've towed many cars, using many different means some illegal. Somehow I was always amazed when I arrived at my destination in one piece, granted some of them were dented but whole. Northern Tool sells a very light trailer for around $400, I've hauled bikes (2) on it, probably more than I should have, but it worked. Good luck and have a safe trip!

Ahhh no.  That thing scares me and I use a Trailer in a Bag.  Not a bad option if you have a light tow vehicle.

$15.00 per day and tows like a dream, very light and easy to use and tow. I've towed this with a Honda CRX and my 1000lb + tool box in it with no issues.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=MT

Norm, sometimes I think I'm so damn smart.. I never even thought of U-haul.. and for 15 bucks a day! I'm checking them out right after work this morning,
there's a store on the way home. Thanks for the heads up!

norm-9688 said:
$15.00 per day and tows like a dream, very light and easy to use and tow. I've towed this with a Honda CRX and my 1000lb + tool box in it with no issues.

And they show it with a Harley on it, how unique.

Dan

Bergmen said:
norm-9688 said:

And they show it with a Harley on it, how unique.

Dan

U haul also sometimes will have a motorcycle specific trailer with a built in nose "chock" position for the front wheel in the front wall of the trailer, corrugated floor that holds the tires laterally, in floor tie downs along the side, and a built in pierced steel loading ramp. That's what I picked my Connie up with last fall. Tows great. But you may have to look around for one. I think that one was $25/day.
Ron

This question was asked in this months Rider Magazine - in the Tech Q&A section.

Guy had 2 bikes in question - A Concours 14, and a Beemer K1200 GT.

All they say is the Kaw w/ wet-sump "should" be OK to tow in this manner... but the Beemer w/ the dry sump...probably not.

They also go on to say that a 1000# capacity trailer from Harbor Freight is cheaper than the "Cycle Tow" that was asked about (provided storage isn't an issue).

Dan Vitous said:
This question was asked in this months Rider Magazine - in the Tech Q&A section.

Guy had 2 bikes in question - A Concours 14, and a Beemer K1200 GT.

All they say is the Kaw w/ wet-sump "should" be OK to tow in this manner... but the Beemer w/ the dry sump...probably not.

They also go on to say that a 1000# capacity trailer from Harbor Freight is cheaper than the "Cycle Tow" that was asked about (provided storage isn't an issue).

They're nuts. The bearings that will suffer (transmission output shaft, bevel gear case) are pressure fed, not splash fed and will run dry. And that is just the running gear. The chassis is susceptible to being subjected to severe lateral loads that it was not designed for either. The forks are going to take a beating (side to side) no matter how smooth the road is.

It's a stinkin' lousy idea and I wish they would pull these from the market.

Dan

We bought an RV this spring so I was looking for a way of bringing Connie along.  Initially I hoped one of those sideways carriers that fit at the rear would work, and there is a locally made version.  I called them but they said I would probably overload the rear weight capacity of the vehicle - and said loading a Connie would not be easy.

So a trailer is the only option.  I have a Harbor Freight flatbed trailer that I use to tow my KZ-650, but the bed is really too high to load the Connie easily, and I was concerned about a high c.g.  I ended up buying a Port-A-Chopper and have to say I am VERY impressed.  It goes together very easily, the bike is relatively easy  to load and tie-down, and it tows with no trouble at all!  We took a 3000 mile trip with it loaded with Connie and had zero issues - other than big grins riding the twisties up and down the Bighorn mountains!

Hmmm look like someone stole my plans.  I built one of those 12 years ago to tow a RD400 from Phoenix AZ to Springfield Il.  At one point a guy behind me stopped me and told me the bike was wobbling uncontrollably.  I couldnt see the bike from the cab of the truck with the side mirrors and the bed was full of furniture so couldnt see out the rear view mirror.  I tightened all the straps down, they were kind of stretch out, and continued home.  I dont know if it kept wobbling, no one else said anything to me.  The bikes tank was full when I left and by the end of the trip it was empty.  I dont know where it went.  I dunno if I would do it again.  It was kind of a only choice at the time thing.

I looked at 2 trailers, not including the HF trailers, before the trip to Vermont. I made a fair offer on a single rail trailer, and they accepted it. Then he threw in a
brand new spare, big bonus for me! It's a 2004 Hercules Single Motorcycle Trailer, and for the exception of route 7's frost heaves that actually shook the dang
license plate off the trailer, and never to be found, all was great! It also has rubber bumpers to stand it up on end. I lucked out on the 11th hour..
Thanks to all who helped me make an intelligent decision, and kept my connie safe and sound!