• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Headlight Out Issue

SteveJ

I had a close call a few months ago that I think needs to come out, now that I've been giving it some thought.

I commute on my bike, about twelve miles of mostly skinny back roads with no shoulders, in the pre dawn darkness.

When meeting any vehicles on the two lane, I move far to the right of my lane. One morning at about 3 am, I saw a group of three cars coming at me, strange for that time of day, especially on that road. Just before I met them, one of the cars jumped out to pass. Had I not been far to the right of my lane, I'm quite sure that my wifey would have collected on my life insurance.

Something else, I had been having issues with the low beam headlight bulb working intermittently. I wasn't in that big of hurry to replace the failing bulb as I have two sets of driving lights, normally showing a triangle of light.

My thinking is that if that low beam was not working, I would look like a car that was a lot farther away, due to the spacing of the driving lights. I was on high beams until I was about 1/2 mile from them, so with the glare from their lights, I could not tell if the low beam picked that instant to not work.

Next time I'll not put off the changing of the bulb.

Just thought I would pass this along for those that ride in the dark. I'm also thinking that any bike that burns two bulbs in the fairing with a space between them may also be at risk.

Thoughts?

I'd never thought about what the triangle would look like if the headlight went out. But I think you may be right. Even more reason to build my headlight monitoring device this winter.

Hey Paul,
How would that headlight monitoring device work?  I'm imagining either a light sensor inside the headlight assembly that turns on a light on the dash when the light falls below a certain preset level, or a shunt that monitors the current through the bulbs.

Just a relay added in series with the low beam filament.
Wire 12 volt to the contacts the are close when there is
no power and to an LED on the dash. When the low beam
filament brakes and there is no light the relay relaxes and
turns on the LED.

In order for a shunt to work, it would have to be a pretty small value resistor or it will not only dissipate a lot of heat, but will limit the current to the headlight. Not a good thing. And a small value resistor will have a very small voltage drop which will be pretty small and require some special handling. The relay idea is not bad, but that will also limit the current going to the headlight. You won't like the results, trust me. My plan is to use an external current sensor on the power lead. It picks up the small magnetic field from the wire when current is flowing though it and amplifies it to produce a 0-5v signal where 0v is -25a, 2.5v is 0a, and 5v is 25a. There are many options for driving the dash lights at this point. I'm thinking of integrating it into a larger system to monitor the other bulbs, provide a gear indicator, etc. But it could easily be made into a stand alone unit as well. As long as the trip point was set properly, it should work regardless of the type of bulb (as long is it drew at least an amp or two). Using a tri-color LED would make it easy to have a GOOD and FAILED indicator in one light.

Steve,

You might be on to something on that visual perspective with the headlight out...interesting...

My '88 C10 had a white light on the instrument panel that would light up if the headlight burned out...reserve lighting device, I think...the issue was...you couldn't see it in the bright sunlight...and, I always thought, if I was riding up Rattlesnake Grade at night...I wouldn't need a little light on the dash to tell me the headlight burned out... :rotflmao:

CRocker said:
Steve,

You might be on to something on that visual perspective with the headlight out...interesting...

My '88 C10 had a white light on the instrument panel that would light up if the headlight burned out...reserve lighting device, I think...the issue was...you couldn't see it in the bright sunlight...and, I always thought, if I was riding up Rattlesnake Grade at night...I wouldn't need a little light on the dash to tell me the headlight burned out... :rotflmao:

True dat.