• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hearing loss prevention

santacruzrider

I've noticed that I'm beginning to have a more difficult time hearing folks talking (and not just my wife) and think it's time to get more serious about preventing further hearing loss.

I currently wear otc foam ear plugs and a full-face HJC helmet. Of course I may be negating that projection with an iPod connected to helmet speakers that I pump up load enough to be heard --  :-[

Any suggestions for further protection? Would a different windscreen or helmet help?

Dan

I use Howard Leight Max plugs... The box says they have a NRR of 33.  I don't know what that means, but they work the best of any I have tried.  I use these mostly because that is what is in the box at work (or used to be, we went to Max Light in the box now), but I still have some of the old ones.

We had some medium rubber orange plugs in the case when I was in the army, but I like the foam ones better.

MizzouMike said:
I use Howard Leight Max plugs... The box says they have a NRR of 33.  I don't know what that means, but they work the best of any I have tried.

NRR = Noise Reduction Rating  the 33 is the attenuation of decibles so if they are fitted properly this foam plug will knock down all auditory sounds and noises by 33db.

Get fitted with a set of speaker earplugs. There are off the shelf types like the S-plug I purchased from a vendor (www.plugup.com) at the motorcycle show last year, or get custom molded ones.

I had same concern, and I also have tinnitus on both ears.
I tried many types of ear plugs, even ordered a good selection to compare them. Some are good, sme are comfortable, some aren't worth getting them free.
I settled on EAR Soft Grippers:
http://www.earplugstore.com/ear-soft-grippers-corded.html
They are VERY comfortable to wear, and do an amazing job of sealing out noise, but you can still hear what you want to hear, like tire noise from truck beside you, etc.
only drawback is that if you use one set for several days continuously, they lose some of the effectiveness (you gotta let them rest once in a while).
I ordered 25 sets @ $0.82 each. I carry three sets with me and rotate them when on long rides; they are great.
I'm sure there are many good ones out there; you will enjoy riding more.
Jorge

Jorge said:
I had same concern, and I also have tinnitus on both ears...
only drawback is that if you use one set for several days continuously, they lose some of the effectiveness (you gotta let them rest once in a while).

Yup, finally went to the Dr for my tinnitus. I've had it for a coon's age but it's gettin worse. Will try to get a fix/help in a few weeks at my next appt.

I toss my used plugs into the dishwasher occasionally. Seems to help em a bit, kinda sorta.

Maybe holding onto one set of ear plugs too long is my problem. I'm using LMs with NRR 33, but use one pair for several weeks and keep them in the pocket of my jacket, where they sometimes come out "pre-squished"  --- DOH!

Would a windscreen change be an improvement?

SantaCruzRider said:
Would a windscreen change be an improvement?

This depends on your seated height relative to your current windscreen.  Try squashing down while at speed and see if you notice a noise difference.  Leaning foward to bend might be misleading, so try not to go too far forward. 

Sadly though, age and genetics can also contribute to hearing loss so it might not be riding or other environmental exposures.  As Mick once croned, "What a drag it is gettin' old..."

Good suggestion from ConnieFan - see how the airflow is affecting the noise.
You might also want to slightly lift from the seat and look for difference. In my case, lowering did some, and going to a taller windscreen (CeeBailey 24.5", I'm right at 6' tall) helped. What helped me even more than the taller windscreen was to cut the OE shield down (quite a bit, maybe 4-6" in total, a bit at a time), and get the turbulent airflow below the helmet.
At this time, the airstream hits me right at the shoulders - great for warm days, not so good for cold ones.
Helmets also make a difference. I've ridden with 5 different helmets:
HJC CL-Max was HORRIBLE roaring noise.
Older Shei I borrowed to try from my brother was quieter.
Wife's HJC CL-16 was even quieter
Scorpion Exo-900 was a lot quieter than the ones above
Scorpion Exo-400 is the quietest I've used. I think it may part of the reason is the amount of foam around the ears, which in this case, does a decent job of sealing.
Keep trying different things and see what works for you.
Jorge

SantaCruzRider said:
I currently wear otc foam ear plugs and a full-face HJC helmet. Of course I may be negating that projection with an iPod connected to helmet speakers that I pump up load enough to be heard --  :-[

+1 on corded, foam earplugs, +1 w/HJC full-face, +1 w/Midland radio and helmet speakers to iPod

SantaCruzRider said:
Any suggestions for further protection? Would a different windscreen or helmet help?
[size=12pt]
I have a 26.5" Cee Bailey on my C-10.

Quite a difference now that I wear earplugs starting this season.  Much quieter, yet audiobooks can be heard well.